Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/26/2015 10:05:18 PM EDT
I have never leased hunting land. I have the opportunity to lease two decent size tracts outside of Crawfordville. This is a year round lease and run by a good acquaintance of mine.  I understand it's not giant buck, trophy land, but any info from some of the HTF guys here who have experience in this county, would be greatly appreciated. Whats the deer, hog, coyote, squirrel, and rabbit hunting look like? Property is SE of A.H. Stephens S.P.  Thanks for any help.  

ETA: How do you pronounce Taliaferro?
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:14:35 PM EDT
[#1]
Was in a lease just north of there in Wilkes County and while we had plenty of deer and turkeys, we had zero hogs.

ETA: There is a fantastic processor in Rahle that I can't remember the name of.  All meat comes vacumned sealed in packages perfect for stacking in the freezer.

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 10:53:34 PM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:

I have never leased hunting land. I have the opportunity to lease two decent size tracts outside of Crawfordville. This is a year round lease and run by a good acquaintance of mine.  I understand it's not giant buck, trophy land, but any info from some of the HTF guys here who have experience in this county, would be greatly appreciated. Whats the deer, hog, coyote, squirrel, and rabbit hunting look like? Property is SE of A.H. Stephens S.P.  Thanks for any help.  

View Quote

Like Oliver with a T in front.  Toliver

Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:03:16 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

View Quote

Pronounced:  TOLIVER

I'll let you in on it.  This is one of the yankee name tests, such as like Hahira = Hay-HI-ruh, or Resaca = Ree-SACK-uh.  McDonough = Mack-DON-uh.

I would imagine hunting BGL (Below the Gnat Line, another yankee filter) would be better than AGL (where I'm from).  BGL Georgia is about the last frontier for wide-open redneckin' in my home state if you can stand the weather.  Stuff to shoot and eat grows BIG.  Google/Bing "Hogzilla."
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:09:04 PM EDT
[#4]
+1 on pronunciation. Toliver is how they say it.

I believe GAHunter's farm is out that way, I'm betting he'll chime in soonest.

There ought to be LOTS-N-LOTS o' deer out that way. As for trophy stuff, I'd guess how the lease was managed would have a lot to do with that. IMHO: you could do a lot worse than Taliaferro county for a hunting lease. There should be plenty to shoot at out there!

I'm out in the boonies near Madison, about 30 minutes from where you're talking about, and we've got more than our fair share of deer here. Stop in and say howdy if you get out this way!!!

ETA: as for small game and varmint, I'd guess you'd have plenty of opportunity for all of the above, but that will vary from tract to tract, depending on how the land lies, and availability of water. Best thing to do is walk it and see what you rustle up and what sorta sign you see. All things being equal though, there ought to be plenty of game to hold your interest out there.
Link Posted: 2/26/2015 11:38:11 PM EDT
[#5]
Dude, have you ever driven on I-20 in the evening out that way?  Entire herds of deer next to the interstate...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 1:42:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 9:46:02 AM EDT
[#7]
Are you looking for others to go in on the hunting land? I would love to get in on one. My problem is I only get enough time to hunt once or twice.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:17:30 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for all the replies. I'm gonna try to get out there and walk the properties one weekend in March. Just wanted an unbiased view on the area.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Are you looking for others to go in on the hunting land? I would love to get in on one. My problem is I only get enough time to hunt once or twice.

View Quote

Not neccesarily, I will probably be replacing a former member of the club. The lease holder is considering having a few extra members this year to lower dues. I can let you know if spots become available if you're interested. Should know by middle to end of March.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 2:36:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing how many acres and the yearly cost?

Also I took a deer to a processor out there and they had several pigs hanging up. There were none where I was hunting but apparently there are some out that way.
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:02:17 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Just out of curiosity, would you mind sharing how many acres and the yearly cost?

Also I took a deer to a processor out there and they had several pigs hanging up. There were none where I was hunting but apparently there are some out that way.
View Quote
Be very wary of a processor who has deer and hogs hanging at the same time.  There not supposed to do that. The threat of which ever bacteria the hogs can have is a no no with other meats.

Link Posted: 2/27/2015 3:30:52 PM EDT
[#11]
there's some BIG deer killed in those parts, sir....
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 4:12:31 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Be very wary of a processor who has deer and hogs hanging at the same time.  There not supposed to do that. The threat of which ever bacteria the hogs can have is a no no with other meats.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I kind of wondered about that...
Link Posted: 2/27/2015 6:55:09 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote

Two 250 acre tracts about 4 miles apart, depending on number of members, year round hunting rights for 700-850p/y.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:31:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Thanks for all the input fellas, especially this post MFF.  Got a good look at the two tracts and I'm very impressed.  Saw Hog, deer, rabbit, dillo, and some nice fox squirrels. Both of the tracts have tributaries/creeks, and one has the Ogeechee running through it. Thanks again fellas, I'll post up AAR's when they happen. Should be hog hunting the weekend of the 28th.        
Quoted:

First in order to find out what kind of property you have gained management wise, you need to know what the surrounding areas look like as well. The surrounding land will be key as to what kind of wildlife your tract has and will support and maintain animals. If it's  actively farmed and the area around your tract is also, then you can expect lots of hogs, dear, Turkey and about every other game species that's huntable.  now if you're lucky enough to have a tract of land that can support all of that wildlife, then you're going to have the nuisance wildlife as well. But I use the term nuisance very loosely, because a lot of people love to hunt coyotes, Bobcats, coons, dillios, and opossums (kittah) and the other animals that would run off regular game animals.

What is this tract of land look like topographically? Are there wetlands? Running fresh water? Closed fresh water? These are all things that need to be looked into and what makes good hunting property and GREAT hunting property. Now don't let this discourage you, because you could have a small tract of land with good hardwood trees that can provide food & shelter that supports bedding and if managed right could turn out to be a trophy tract of land.

Basically, if I go out scouting for a new piece of property to hunt I'm looking for just a couple of key things:

1.What kind of trees are on it, when was the last time it was cut?

2.What happened to the last people that were holding the lease here?  How many years did they hunt here? Did they ever camp here? Will camping be allowed year round?

3.This only applies if the area has been farmed but when was the last time it was planted and harvested.

Hope that helps
View Quote

Link Posted: 3/20/2015 8:47:05 PM EDT
[#15]
hmmm.... missed this thread somehow.

Nice little county.  Pretty quiet most of the times, and other times.... "sounded like a damn war" (one of my favorite quotes from a bow hunter on GON talking about our little HTF )

I'm there.  PM me if you have any questions.  No hogs at my place, but I am in the western part of the county.  They are a few miles away down the river, so it is only a matter of time.

I'll be out there tomorrow and part of Sunday.  

Any power lines on your lease?
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 11:59:52 AM EDT
[#16]
yeah, we've got a power line running through a creek bottom on the outer edge of one of the tracts.  Looks like a pretty good spot for deer, but it's the easement with another club.
Link Posted: 3/22/2015 6:59:48 PM EDT
[#17]
This afternoon I saw someone trailering an adult hog into the county on 278.  I was going to other way, but it sure looked like a wild one that was caught in a cage.   I hope they don't release it!
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:22:49 PM EDT
[#18]
A neighbor of mine reported 2 adult bears and a large boar on camera.  His place is about 1-2 miles from mine.  
Link Posted: 4/29/2015 7:35:38 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
A neighbor of mine reported 2 adult bears and a large boar on camera.  His place is about 1-2 miles from mine.  
View Quote

Bring the pair of bears over and I'll hear you tan the hide!
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 8:40:58 PM EDT
[#20]
I always thought it was pronounce Taliaferro County.

One of the guys that I used to work with that had a Deer Hunting Club lease in the county pronounced it Tall-if-Furr.
Link Posted: 4/30/2015 11:37:46 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

I always thought it was pronounce Taliaferro County.

One of the guys that I used to work with that had a Deer Hunting Club lease in the county pronounced it Tall-if-Furr.
View Quote

It's one way to see who is a Southerner and who is a transplant... ;-)

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top