Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 2/11/2006 6:11:03 AM EDT
Headed to HI in June, and I see that there is no way to bring a pistol to carry with me.

What is legal as far as other methods? Knife, OC spray, baton, etc?

I read some of the laws, but they don't appear to be straightforward.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 10:35:02 AM EDT
Legally , pretty much nothing but a whistle and your automobile.

NOT even for LEO under the new federal Law "Law Enforcement Officers' Protection Act"
which allows all retired LEO to carry throuhout the Union.
NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO CARRY anything.

Enjoy a eutopia State.
Link Posted: 2/11/2006 2:56:18 PM EDT
Pepper spray is friendly; knives, stun guns, batons, saps, billies, brass knuckles, nunchucks, and firearms and explosives are not.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:25:41 AM EDT

Originally Posted By SUKA:
Legally , pretty much nothing but a whistle and your automobile.

NOT even for LEO under the new federal Law "Law Enforcement Officers' Protection Act"
which allows all retired LEO to carry throuhout the Union.
NO ONE IS ALLOWED TO CARRY anything.

Enjoy a eutopia State.

OC is legal to carry for protection. Not that it does much to an icehead - just ask Dog.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 6:54:41 AM EDT
Commercially avaiable OC doesnt do much. Although it may be leaglly carried even in largly non firearm countries as Japan and Britan. It is almost drinkable.
Realisticlly a whistle is more effective in an Urban enviroment, such as Honolulu, Waikiki. Rural Hawaii your out of luck, thanks to Local legislation.
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 8:21:12 AM EDT
Any kind of knife, ie pocketknife is prohibited? Blade length restrictions?
Link Posted: 2/12/2006 1:13:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By SUKA:
Commercially avaiable OC doesnt do much. Although it may be leaglly carried even in largly non firearm countries as Japan and Britan. It is almost drinkable.
Realisticlly a whistle is more effective in an Urban enviroment, such as Honolulu, Waikiki. Rural Hawaii your out of luck, thanks to Local legislation.

I was sprayed accidentally at Magnum once. It was not fun. I would love to see you drink the stuff I got sprayed with. Actually, the reverse of what you said is true. The commercially available stuff is alcohol-based, it doesn't wash off easily and is much more potent than the stuff local agencies use. HPD has switched to a water-based OC after agencies on the mainland were sued after tazing a suspect who had been sprayed with alcohol-based OC. Spark + vaporized alcohol = inferno.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:15:35 PM EDT

Originally Posted By entropy:
Any kind of knife, ie pocketknife is prohibited? Blade length restrictions?

We all carry folding knives here. Just NO dirks, daggers, butterfly knives and switchblades.

Be sure to pack it in your suitcase and not your carry-on when flying.

Use common sense and don't go into the seedy places and you'll be alright.

barry
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 3:14:55 AM EDT
do we have a blade length limitation?

iirc, last time i checked a few years back we didn't have a blade length limit but could not be double edged. has this since changed or can anyone confirm this? i could be completely wrong.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 12:36:20 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/17/2006 6:22:36 AM EDT by HI5-0]
No limitations on blade length but I wouldn't be carrying a "huge" Rambo knife

Originally Posted By Soljah46:
do we have a blade length limitation?

iirc, last time i checked a few years back we didn't have a blade length limit but could not be double edged. has this since changed or can anyone confirm this? i could be completely wrong.

Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:03:09 PM EDT
Thanks for the info.
Top Top