Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 9/18/2005 5:17:47 AM EDT
www.thehawaiichannel.com/weather/4985732/detail.html

Hawaii Forecasters Eye Pacific Storms
Officials Make Standard Preparations For Potential Hurricane Threat

POSTED: 4:52 pm HST September 16, 2005

HONOLULU -- With several tropical storms churning in the Pacific Ocean, state officials have begun preliminary emergency preparedness procedures.

When any violent storm system approaches the state, federal, state and city officials turn to the National Weather Service for the final word on when to start emergency operations.

That's what happened Friday. Forecasters at the National Weather Service were part of the statewide briefing on emergency preparedness procedures.

The heads of all state agencies and the Red Cross gathered at the state Civil Defense office located inside Diamond Head Crater. Forecaster briefed officials on the status of the approaching storms.

They also went over plans and preparations for schools, shelters and emergency workforce procedures.

"The focus is on protection, and the pre-landfall stages of an approaching storm, protecting people, protecting infrastructure, critical infrastructure evacuations -- particularly with tourists and visitors if we have to get them out," state Civil Defense Director Ed Texeira said.

Texeira said there's no reason to panic. However, he pointed out that it is a good time to make sure families and businesses are prepared in case a hurricane does hit the islands.

Officials warn residents to make sure they have an emergency first aid kit, food, water and all of the medications they need for 48 to 72 hours.

Friday's meeting is standard operating procedure. It is what happens each time a storm moves into the Central Pacific region. It was not a response to Hurricane Katrina.

Texeira did say officials have learned a lot of lessons from Katrina. So, future plans may change.
Copyright 2005 by TheHawaiiChannel.com All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

Current storm tracking: www.thehawaiichannel.com/wxmap/4290835/detail.html

I've been watching the storm for the past 16 hours and i'd say it will hit us, if maintains its current path within 48 hours. I'm a geology and geophysics major for what its worth.

Im not trying to bullshit you. have extra water if nothing else. I hope im wrong.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:42:49 AM EDT
Water, ammo, food, gas ...in that order.
If thoose two storms combine it will be really nasty.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 8:25:36 AM EDT

medications they need for 48 to 72 hours

Seems like that should be 7-14 days worth.

Hope you guys stay dry over there
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 10:39:47 AM EDT
For those interested HECO puts out a great emergency preparedness booklet. It's a free-be. I will try to get phone# and then post it.
Top Top