Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/25/2003 10:41:31 PM EDT
Let's say someones uncle passes away and leaves behind.. say a S&W revolver that's pretty old, say bought in the '70's. He didn't sign a will, neither does he have any paperwork for the gun. Say this gun is at someones house, say his sisters house (In CA). What happens to the gun? BTW- No my uncle hasn't passed on... yet, he is however in very bad health. Don't mean to sound inpersonal, just a bit worried. BTW again: I'm only 15, so it wouldn't be my gun, although he would be "giveing it to me." Thanks, Mike.  
Link Posted: 7/26/2003 12:58:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Legally go check the CA AG Firearms pages.  IIRC, In cases like that all you need to do is to have your parents complete an Operation of Law form  indicating it was given to them by your Uncle as a bequest to you.  This form is an after the fact form explaining how you (they) got it.  Costs $14 or did.  Don't believe there is a waiting period here or any additional costs.  The recipient has to be a legal recipient and the transfer can be a gift in the family or legal bequeathal, or similar transfer.  I think it has to be immediate family.

BTW a gun first bought in the 70's ain't old.  Or at least they weren't when I got some then.

Link Posted: 7/26/2003 7:25:03 AM EDT
[#2]
Gun? What gun?

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top