User Panel

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Posted: 4/23/2013 4:58:45 PM EDT
Bill text:
http://www.house.mo.gov/billtracking/bills131/billpdf/intro/HB0436I.PDF

Edit:

Witness form link removed, that was only good for the committee hearing.

Bill is now going to full Senate.  Hearing scheduled 4/29/13
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 6:42:26 PM EDT
[#1]
Testimony submitted. I tried to not make it too lengthy.

The importance of Second Amendment Preservation Act cannot be overstated. The citizens of Missouri deserve the protection, from an over-reaching Federal Government, that this bill will provide. For too long have the bureaucrats in Washington DC trampled, watered-down, and flat out ignored the United States Constitution and the freedoms that the sacred document guarantees the citizens of our great nation. The time has come for the individual states to speak out, through legislation like the Second Amendment Preservation Act, to Washington DC and let them know that the rights and liberties guaranteed by the U.S. and Missouri Constitutions are as important to us now as when our Founding Fathers penned them so many years ago.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:01:47 PM EDT
[#2]
Hit it.

Added my thoughts.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:04:36 PM EDT
[#3]
filled one out earlier today
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:05:15 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:17:14 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:As Californian I know what it's like to come from a state with strict gun-control measures. With the ever-growing threat of an overreaching federal bureaucracy. With legislation and the loss of more of our liberties this is a must pass bill. This will ensure future generations of Americans living in Missouri and Missourians that their Second Amendment rights are secured and honored by the state of Missouri. We need to go the opposite direction of such states like Colorado, New Jersey, New York, and California. Let's send a message to Washington and the rest of the country to say that our Second Amendment rights shall not be tampered with. Any further infringements undermine our right to keep and bear arms.this legislation will only save lives and make people safer. Personally I hope  enjoy these liberties within my lifetime and this bill will make it a reality, and the only reason I wont become a FFL dealer or gun smith is because of the ATF and having to deal with them. They have an awful history just look at atfabuse.com this legislation will allow private individuals to be gunsmiths and open their own business on their own accord.there's nothing but positive business aspects of this bill as well.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:41:14 PM EDT
[#6]
So I'm not attending the hearing or anything can I fill out this witness form still?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 7:54:19 PM EDT
[#7]
I did it anyway here is my post:

"As an 8th generation American and Missourian whose family arrived in this State even before its founding, I take great pride and interest in seeing this bill move forward. My interest stems not from laws being rewritten, but from an effort to defend the Constitution of the United States as it was written and intended.  Legislators and judges have continued to pervert and corrupt the Bill of Rights and this effort to draw a line in the sand, to protect the rights American citizens have had since their first breath, renews my faith that the elected representatives of Missouri are truly concerned about the rights and well being of the citizens. I strongly urge the passage of this bill for the sake of past, present, and future generations to let it be known that free people shall always be free."
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:18:02 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
So I'm not attending the hearing or anything can I fill out this witness form still?

Yes, a good idea, and you did fine in yours.

I hope this passes . It will be a huge boost for Mo. Some reps have already started courting some industries ( like Magpul and some other business' that are being shut down , although by choice in some cases ) by the very government that rolls in that tax money. I would like to see it come to Mo .
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 8:31:00 PM EDT
[#9]
How many freedom sears will be made in one day?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:08:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

You gonna be the legal test dummy?
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:34:40 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it's him or not, somebody will be...and hopefully there will be an overwhelming number of people who decide to taste freedom.
Link Posted: 4/23/2013 9:36:47 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Doesn't matter if it's him or not, somebody will be...and hopefully there will be an overwhelming number of people who decide to taste freedom.

THIS.

If enough of us do it... Ain't much they can do about it.

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:02:54 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.

Only option we have I think

Link Posted: 4/23/2013 10:25:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

THIS.

Only option we have I think

I have my blueprints ready.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:00:56 AM EDT
[#15]
So, let's assume that this becomes law and someone tests it.  Who pays for their legal defense?  Will the State Police stand between you and the Feds when they come?  The only way states are getting away with legalizing pot is because Hussein has decided it's not worth his time to enforce Federal law.  I suspect that time would be found to make an example of anyone attempting to use state gun laws to override federal gun laws.

I really appreciate and support the intent, and it certainly sends a strong message, but I'm not going to be the test case.

ETA:  Witness form filed.  I suspect that I'll get flamed for this.

"I support this legislation because it sends a strong message to the Federal Government that the people of Missouri will not tolerate the destruction of our rights.  Unfortunately, unless the State of Missouri also accepts responsibility for defending its citizens when Federal Agents arrive at their door and provides for legal representation when the citizen is charged, then this is little more than a hollow threat.  I, for one, will not be a test case for the supremacy clause without the commitment of the State of Missouri to stand by my side.

May I respectfully suggest that any legislator who believes that this bill would protect Missouri citizens from Federal prosecution should openly defy the Federal law and lead by example."  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 9:40:33 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
So, let's assume that this becomes law and someone tests it.  Who pays for their legal defense?  Will the State Police stand between you and the Feds when they come?  The only way states are getting away with legalizing pot is because Hussein has decided it's not worth his time to enforce Federal law.  I suspect that time would be found to make an example of anyone attempting to use state gun laws to override federal gun laws.

I really appreciate and support the intent, and it certainly sends a strong message, but I'm not going to be the test case.

"I support this legislation because it sends a strong message to the Federal Government that the people of Missouri will not tolerate the destruction of our rights.  Unfortunately, unless the State of Missouri also accepts responsibility for defending its citizens when Federal Agents arrive at their door and provides for legal representation when the citizen is charged, then this is little more than a hollow threat.  I, for one, will not be a test case for the supremacy clause without the commitment of the State of Missouri to stand by my side.

May I respectfully suggest that any legislator who believes that this bill would protect Missouri citizens from Federal prosecution should openly defy the Federal law and lead by example."  

Its saying federal law is trumped by the Constitution.  Technically all levels of government are responsible for protecting the Constitution.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:21:14 AM EDT
[#17]
I'll test the crap out of it.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:23:29 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Its saying federal law is trumped by the Constitution.  Technically all levels of government are responsible for protecting the Constitution.

I understand and support the sentiment, but state law may not supercede federal law.  Unconstitutional laws are overturned the the SCOTUS, not by state or local legislation.  What I'm trying to say is that IF the State of Missouri tells its citizens that it's OK to violate federal law because they believe that intrastate commerce is not under the jurisdiction of the Feds, then the state should be willing to actually stand between the federal agents and the citizen and/or provide for the citizen's legal challenge to the federal law.  To do otherwise puts the citizen in jeopardy without state support and is a hollow gesture.

Please believe me whe I say that I detest the direction that the Kenyan and his gangsters are taking the country, but I'm not quite ready to give up on the processes that our Founding Fathers created for dealing with corrupt politicians.  We must MAKE the system work.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:42:05 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

What would you be testing? Are you testing whether or not the Federal Government has jurisdiction over something that happens solely within the state?  What if Missouri decides that federal laws against slavery don't apply if the owner and slave never leave the state?  All bluster aside, are you -- is anyone -- truly prepared to lose everything they own, their livelihood, and probably their freedom to test this if the state provides NO support?

I believe that ALL of the anti-gun laws ever passed are in fact unconstitutional.  Unfortunately the SCOTUS disagrees with me and by my supporting the Constitution I've agreed that their opinion wins.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 10:55:31 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

What would you be testing? Are you testing whether or not the Federal Government has jurisdiction over something that happens solely within the state?  What if Missouri decides that federal laws against slavery don't apply if the owner and slave never leave the state?  All bluster aside, are you -- is anyone -- truly prepared to lose everything they own, their livelihood, and probably their freedom to test this if the state provides NO support?

I believe that ALL of the anti-gun laws ever passed are in fact unconstitutional.  Unfortunately the SCOTUS disagrees with me and by my supporting the Constitution I've agreed that their opinion wins.

Great wording in this post.

Seriously.

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 11:43:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Beyond testing anything, the bill does not repeal Missouri statute 571.020, which makes it illegal to have any NFA goodies unless you comply with federal law.  So the House bill nullifies all federal laws, but parts of remaining Missouri law will require us to abide by federal NFA laws.  Possession of a SBR without a stamp would still be a class C felony.  This removes the teeth of the bill in my opinion and will not provide “cash and carry” status for SBRs, suppressors, etc which was the part of the law that had my excited. :(
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 12:36:39 PM EDT
[#22]
Done.

"I support this bill with great enthusiasm.  For too long have we endured abuses by the Federal Government against our right to keep and bear arms.  The Second Amendment Preservation Act will declare to the Federal Government that Missourians will not tolerate having their civil liberties and state sovereignty trampled on."
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 1:51:44 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Beyond testing anything, the bill does not repeal Missouri statute 571.020, which makes it illegal to have any NFA goodies unless you comply with federal law.  So the House bill nullifies all federal laws, but parts of remaining Missouri law will require us to abide by federal NFA laws.  Possession of a SBR without a stamp would still be a class C felony.  This removes the teeth of the bill in my opinion and will not provide “cash and carry” status for SBRs, suppressors, etc which was the part of the law that had my excited. :(

It seems there is a fly in the ointment and Peep may have found it...  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:20:35 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It's a pretty crazy Catch 22, and it's confusing as hell.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Just means that law has to be repealed next, does anyone have an update on the status of this?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:35:44 PM EDT
[#26]
Just passed Senate General Laws Committee 4-1...

Now onto the full Senate.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:43:31 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Thanks for the update.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:59:18 PM EDT
[#28]
Nice!!!!
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 2:59:44 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Attorney General of the State of Missouri would represent you, as a citizen, if the feds did something to violate your rights under this new bill . It was covered in one of the committee hearings I went to for this bill.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:12:24 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The Attorney General of the State of Missouri would represent you, as a citizen, if the feds did something to violate your rights under this new bill . It was covered in one of the committee hearings I went to for this bill.

That is awesome!

Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:28:05 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thank you.  I really wish that I could go to some of these.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 3:28:12 PM EDT
[#32]
Hit the link and provided my support in the form of a veiled threat.

I support this bill and the constitution. Any elected official that doesn't support and believe in the constitution will be aggressively campaigned against in their next election.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:08:07 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

I support this bill and the constitution. Any elected official that doesn't support and believe in the constitution will be aggressively campaigned against in their next election.

And it is working! They got over 850 witness sheets emailed in within a 24 hour period !
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:27:31 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:

Excellent. Do we know when that will happen?

Also, I'm not super knowledgeable about MOs legislative process. If Nixon vetos this bill, does another vote have to be held to over ride the veto, or will that just be assumed if the vote passes with a strong enough majority?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 4:33:01 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome!

Thankfully, we have a good AG in MO.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:18:06 PM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome!

Most definitely.  Just look how he's investigated the CCW records scandle.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:23:22 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is awesome!

Most definitely.  Just look how he's investigated the CCW records scandle.  

Zing!  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:28:48 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
Quoted:

And it is working! They got over 850 witness sheets emailed in within a 24 hour period !

One was mine
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:35:41 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is bad ass this legislation has some gumption. I think freedom sears will appear seconds after this passes. I want a freedom suppressor along with the FCGs for my AKs and my AR. ;)
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:37:03 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

That is bad ass this legislation has some gumption. I think freedom sears will appear seconds after this passes. I want a freedom suppressor along with the FCGs for my AKs and my AR. ;)

I bet CMMG won't mind it one bit.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:47:11 PM EDT
[#41]
As was already stated, Mo. already has laws against NFA stuff, so it really won't have an effect on that.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:48:49 PM EDT
[#42]
Quoted:
As was already stated, Mo. already has laws against NFA stuff, so it really won't have an effect on that.

Direct sales of Missouri manufactured firearms would open up a LOT to CMMG though.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:52:06 PM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Direct sales of Missouri manufactured firearms would open up a LOT to CMMG though.

They already sell direct.  I assume you are talking about sales without a 4473?  It would only open things up to them if they have the balls to do it.  I would imagine it would put their Federal licenses in jeopardy.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 5:56:01 PM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They already sell direct.  I assume you are talking about sales without a 4473?  It would only open things up to them if they have the balls to do it.  I would imagine it would put their Federal licenses in jeopardy.

Yeah, direct sales of complete arms and lowers probably would never happen as the first test from an established arms manufacturer.  Now, an unlicensed manufacturer that has deep pockets on the other hand...

Time to hit the PowerBall.  
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:00:03 PM EDT
[#45]
even though MO has laws pertaining to NFA stuff if the federal law is null wouldnt that make the law moot? I remember seeing that law before too its been a thought on my mind as well. Well I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens right?
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:33:15 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:
even though MO has laws pertaining to NFA stuff if the federal law is null wouldnt that make the law moot? I remember seeing that law before too its been a thought on my mind as well. Well I guess we will have to just wait and see what happens right?

I dunno, I'm still searching for "exactly" our state says about it other than what the feds say . Anyone knows where, please point the way .
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:43:19 PM EDT
[#47]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I dunno, I'm still searching for "exactly" our state says about it other than what the feds say . Anyone knows where, please point the way .

here is where I read it before.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 6:57:23 PM EDT
[#48]
Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses

571.020.  Possession--manufacture--transport--repair--sale of certain weapons a  
crime--exceptions--penalties.  

This part basically says if you don't play by the federal rules you are in violation.

This is the only section in Missouri Law that mentions Machine Guns, SBR's, suppressors.

Looks like its going to be game on for those who manufacture here in the state.

Link
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:02:26 PM EDT
[#49]
Quoted:
Missouri Revised Statutes
Chapter 571
Weapons Offenses

571.020.  Possession--manufacture--transport--repair--sale of certain weapons a  
crime--exceptions--penalties.  

This part basically says if you don't play by the federal rules you are in violation.

This is the only section in Missouri Law that mentions Machine Guns, SBR's, suppressors.

Looks like its going to be game on for those who manufacture here in the state.

Link

Ouch . Loophole .

(6) Any of the following in violation of federal law:  

(a) A machine gun;

(b) A short-barreled rifle or shotgun;

(c) A firearm silencer; or

(d) A switchblade knife.
Link Posted: 4/24/2013 7:15:59 PM EDT
[#50]
I haven't yet read the full text of the bill so just did.

I like the last part.  Basically anyone that arrests or charges you for a federal violation... you can sue them for judgment in Missouri Court.

That's pretty awesome.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 7
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top