Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/18/2022 7:40:16 AM EDT
This is a good bill.  Recommend you contact the committee, and use the remote sign in to show your support.

HB1178  prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to keep and bear arms.

Senate Judiciary Committee needs some convincing:  Judiciary  Carson is an R who is no friend of the 2A in NH.

To show your support:

1.  https://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/

6.  This is not anonymous and your name will be part of public record.  Fill out and go through the prompts until you are done.  

Also, if you're on reddit, show your support for the original poster here.  A poster fighting the good fight in the liberal's playground0reddit.  Give his thread a thumbs up as the libs are trying to bury it.  

https://www.reddit.com/r/newhampshire/comments/u60101/hb1178_regarding_federal_gun_law_nullification/
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:23:48 AM EDT
[#1]
Done

Nice write up OP

very clear and concise directions!
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:26:01 AM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 8:35:58 AM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 4/18/2022 6:05:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Done, and thanks for putting this together.

Link Posted: 4/20/2022 2:13:00 PM EDT
[#5]
Any idea on the results yet?
Link Posted: 4/20/2022 3:09:50 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Any idea on the results yet?
View Quote

The report will eventually be posted on the left here.  It will say something like senate committee report.

Testimony starts at 1:31.15ish and lasts for an hour with several pro and anti comments.  The cop was good as he debunked the "ghost gun" questions.  Lots of regular joes testified as well.  What I didn't see was NRA, GOA, or NHFC, but I might have missed them.

Link Posted: 4/21/2022 2:08:05 PM EDT
[#7]
1:37:35  

LMAO.. I had forgotten about him
Link Posted: 4/21/2022 4:09:50 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
1:37:35  

LMAO.. I had forgotten about him
View Quote

lol, I caught that too

I know a similar unfortunately named Richard.  He goes be Rick.

Link Posted: 4/22/2022 10:04:11 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

lol, I caught that too

I know a similar unfortunately named Richard.  He goes be Rick.

View Quote

I used to work with a man named Dick Hunter..  I swear some parents are cruel  LOL
Link Posted: 4/28/2022 9:32:09 PM EDT
[#10]
FYI:  The Judiciary Committee voted 3-2 OTP on HB1178, but it looks like they added an amendment 2022-1845s which I don't see yet.
Link Posted: 5/6/2022 8:30:18 AM EDT
[#11]
In other news the Senate passed this yesterday with their committee amendment.  Now it goes back to the House for Concur/NonConcur

Link Posted: 6/11/2022 5:46:46 PM EDT
[#12]
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but wanted to post a link to the final, passed version of HB1178 "prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to keep and bear arms".

NH HB1178

After reading the bill and amendment text, I am not sure what the bill actually does for the citizens of NH.  The final text states in part "159-E:2 Application. In light of the long-standing practice of cooperation between federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies, nothing in this chapter shall prevent a state, county, or local official from cooperating with or rendering aid or assistance to federal officials in any circumstance..."

Sounds like the bill was watered down to be virtually worthless.  Am I reading it wrong?
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:25:19 PM EDT
[#13]
It does read that way.
Link Posted: 6/11/2022 8:46:28 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

Sounds like the bill was watered down to be virtually worthless.  Am I reading it wrong?
View Quote

Nope.  With the House amendment it is pretty much worthless.  

At best it prevents NH agencies from being the lead on federal issues.  Other than that it is just virtue signalling.

I'm willing to bet a half can of flat Miller Lite that Sununu doesn't sign it citing that NH's gun laws are good enough as is, 'he supports the 2A, and it isn't approriate given current events in the US.  Fucker is too squishy.
Link Posted: 6/13/2022 10:12:13 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:33:15 PM EDT
[#16]
Governor Sununu signed it today.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:47:12 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Governor Sununu signed it today.
View Quote

That's great news.  I figured he was too squishy to poke at the feds.

The bill doesn't change a ton from what I see, but it makes me feel better and feeling better is good.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:54:42 PM EDT
[#18]
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 7:58:48 PM EDT
[#19]
Fore here:  https://www.governor.nh.gov/news-and-media/governor-chris-sununu-takes-action-38-bills

The Governor made a special reference on HB1178

Governor Sununu issued the following statement regarding HB 1178:

"New Hampshire has a proud tradition of responsible firearms stewardship, and I've long said that I'm not looking to make any changes to our laws," said Governor Chris Sununu. "This bill will ensure that New Hampshire's law enforcement efforts will be on our own State firearms laws – and that's where I believe their focus should be."

Above all i see that as a firearm friendly statement for a firearm friendly state.
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 8:00:24 PM EDT
[#20]
Here’s the text from a post on Facebook by the guy who wrote the bill.
It definitely seems different from what we’ve previously talked about here.

Posted by John Burt

“Governor Sununu needs another hug from me, he signed HB1178 into law.
AN ACT prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
I want to thank every supporter of this great law that helped make this come true for NH.  God Bless America, New Hampshire, and the Second Amendment.
Governor's statement and now new law are below.
Thank you,
Representative John Burt,
Goffstown, Weare, Deering
Governor Sununu issued the following statement regarding HB 1178:
“New Hampshire has a proud tradition of responsible firearms stewardship, and I’ve long said that I’m not looking to make any changes to our laws,” said Governor Chris Sununu. “This bill will ensure that New Hampshire’s law enforcement efforts will be on our own State firearms laws – and that’s where I believe their focus should be.”
HOUSE BILL 1178
AN ACT prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to keep and bear arms.
This bill prohibits the state of New Hampshire, a political subdivision of this state, or any person acting under the color of state, county, or municipal law from using any personnel or financial resources to enforce, administer, or cooperate with any law, act, rule, order, or regulation of the United States Government or Executive Order of the President of the United States that is inconsistent with any law of this state regarding the regulation of firearms, ammunition, magazines or the ammunition feeding devices, firearm components, firearms supplies, or knives.
SPONSORS: Rep. Burt, Hills. 39; Rep. Stapleton, Sull. 5; Rep. Hopper, Hills. 2; Rep. Silber, Belk. 2; Rep. Nunez, Hills. 37; Rep. True, Rock. 4; Rep. Hill, Merr. 3; Rep. Kelsey, Hills. 7; Rep. Folsom, Graf. 11; Rep. Kofalt, Hills. 4; Sen. Avard, Dist 12; Sen. Ricciardi, Dist 9”
Link Posted: 6/24/2022 11:22:16 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
While this does make the bill nearly worthless, it seems like it also allows local officials leeway to NOT cooperate with feds. I think...
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Sorry for resurrecting a dead thread, but wanted to post a link to the final, passed version of HB1178 "prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to keep and bear arms".

NH HB1178

After reading the bill and amendment text, I am not sure what the bill actually does for the citizens of NH.  The final text states in part "159-E:2 Application. In light of the long-standing practice of cooperation between federal, state, and local law enforcement agencies, nothing in this chapter shall prevent a state, county, or local official from cooperating with or rendering aid or assistance to federal officials in any circumstance..."

While this does make the bill nearly worthless, it seems like it also allows local officials leeway to NOT cooperate with feds. I think...

@JCoop
@formerlyphat

This is the final adopted law that I can find as posted in the link provided:

HB 1178 - VERSION ADOPTED BY BOTH BODIES
    15Mar2022... 0479h
    05/05/2022 1845s                                                                        22-2352
                                                                                            04/08
                                         STATE OF NEW HAMPSHIRE
                               In the Year of Our Lord Two Thousand Twenty Two
    AN ACT               prohibiting the state from enforcing any federal statute, regulation, or
                         Presidential Executive Order that restricts or regulates the right of the people to
                         keep and bear arms.
               Be it Enacted by the Senate and House of Representatives in General Court convened:
1       1 New Chapter; Federal Statutes, Regulations, and Presidential Executive Orders Relating to
2    the Right to Keep and Bear Arms. Amend RSA by inserting after chapter 159-D the following new
3    chapter:
4                                                CHAPTER 159-E
5                       PRESIDENTIAL EXECUTIVE ORDERS AND STATUTORY LAW
6                           RELATING TO THE RIGHT TO KEEP AND BEAR ARMS
7       159-E:1 Federal Statutes, Regulations, and Presidential Executive Orders Relating to the Right
8    to Keep and Bear Arms. Pursuant to the general court’s authority under Part II, Article 5 of the
9    New Hampshire Constitution, the state of New Hampshire, a political subdivision of this state, or
10   any person acting under the color of state, county, or municipal law shall be prohibited from using
11   any personnel or financial resources to enforce, administer, or cooperate with any law, act, rule,
12   order, or regulation of the United States Government or Executive Order of the President of the
13   United States that is inconsistent with any law of this state regarding the regulation of firearms,
14   ammunition, magazines or the ammunition feeding devices, firearm components, firearms supplies,
15   or knives.
   Silence in the New Hampshire Revised Statutes Annotated pertaining to a matter
16   regulated by federal law shall be construed as an inconsistency for the purposes of this chapter.
17      159-E:2 Application. In light of the long-standing practice of cooperation between federal, state,
18   and local law enforcement agencies, nothing in this chapter shall prevent a state, county, or local
19   official from cooperating with or rendering aid or assistance to federal officials in any circumstance
20   where there is reasonable suspicion to believe that a person who is the subject of an investigation for
21   violation of federal firearms law covered by RSA 159-E:1 also has committed, is committing, or is
22   about to commit a violation of New Hampshire law or a violation of a federal law, regulation, order,
23   or practice not covered by RSA 159-E:1. Nothing in this chapter shall prevent a state, county, or
24   local official from providing authorized federal officials, upon their request, with official state,
25   county, or local records that are available to the public or which constitute criminal history records
26   maintained by an agency of state, county, or local government, or taking any other action necessary
27   to fulfill or comply with the state’s obligations under the National Crime Prevention and Privacy
28   Compact approved and ratified in RSA 106-B:14, III, provided that the provisions of this chapter
29   shall not provide for the distribution of information required to be destroyed pursuant to 18 U.S.C.
                           HB 1178 - VERSION ADOPTED BY BOTH BODIES
                                             - Page 2 -
1   section 922(t)(2)(C).   Nothing in this chapter shall prohibit the judicial branch from entering
2   protective order information into law enforcement databases.
3       159-E:3 Severability. If any provision of this chapter or the application thereof to any person or
4   circumstances is held invalid, such invalidity shall not affect other provisions or applications of the
5   chapter which can be given effect without the invalid provision or application, and to this end the
6   provisions of this chapter are declared to be severable.
7       2 Effective Date. This act shall take effect upon its passage.

As I read it it basically states that any state or local agency can only operate within NH state laws so if the feds are trying to enforce something it has to deal with something that also is a violation of NH state RSA's.

If I'm reading it wrong someone please correct me but this basically says NH LE resources will not enforce anything other than NH state laws or investigate/assist FED LE investigations violations of (NH RSA's) them. Basically if it's not a violation of NH RSA's then NH LE cannot assist FED LE.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 2:04:59 PM EDT
[#22]
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 3:20:32 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
It's worded kind of weird.

The part in blue, isn't that weird wording? Can they enforce if it doesn't cost anything to do so?
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
It's worded kind of weird.

, the state of New Hampshire, a political subdivision of this state, or
10   any person acting under the color of state, county, or municipal law shall be prohibited from using
11   any personnel or financial resources to enforce, administer, or cooperate with any law, act, rule,
12   order, or regulation of the United States Government or Executive Order of the President of the
13   United States that is inconsistent with any law of this state regarding the regulation of firearms,
The part in blue, isn't that weird wording? Can they enforce if it doesn't cost anything to do so?

"Any personnel or financial resources." While striking the word financial might have been better I'd say definitely not. They can't have state personnel enforce or help to enforce it. They also can't provide financial resources to help anyone else enforce it.
Link Posted: 6/25/2022 6:37:40 PM EDT
[#24]
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top