Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 4/13/2006 6:59:32 PM EST
Ok , So apparently, the Club I just joined is slightly Dysfunctional.

Went to my first monthly meeting a week after joining, left with a Headache.

Havent met but 15-20 of the members (at the meeting)
The Board members and trustees are all old timers , but the club currently has only 60 members,
and is having a membership drive to ease financial burdens.

Their Bylaws are probably 30 yrs old, and there ARE no written Range Rules.

Heres how the meeting went:

Minutes read - constant interruptions from floor -
(rules of order apparently written by Dodge City council )

Rangemaster ( also a Trustee) announces resignation after ranting about YAHOO members
messing up the range.

Old Business -Discussion about how recent money received from Logging rights will be spent ,
why they are $40 short for something ( contract was over $6K)
Ends with vigorous debate about how much $$ were spent for Hot Dogs at last
Club Function.

New Business - Former Rangemaster moves to Ban Semi-Auto firearms
free for all discussion follows - motion (fortunately) fails.

Future club functions schedule discussed , Pancake Breakfast which is a regularly
scheduled event will be held on EASTER SUNDAY
(cuz they didnt pull the Advertising)

Discussion about whether they should charge $25 for use of their
Bingo License by another Service club to run a Benefit.

In Fact , the only positive moment was the Pledge of Allegiance at the start of the meeting.

So, I see two choices - I can pay my dues and shoot there until the Club eventually falls apart
OR
I can use my business / accounting skills , and some gentle persuasion
to get them on the right track.

This could be turned into a nice little club , it's very close to me and the Dues are Tiny.

Comments?

Link Posted: 4/13/2006 7:20:32 PM EST
Fix it! There are far too few clubs to let another one slide!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 2:13:23 AM EST
Fix it! (Or at least give it a helluva shot) Be prepared for a fight, though. Having dealt with old-timers in a variety of organizations, I can definitely tell you that you will be in for a long uphill battle. These guys are typically only pulled into the current century with lots of kicking and screaming.

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:33:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By AKsRule:
So, I see two choices - I can pay my dues and shoot there until the Club eventually falls apart
OR
I can use my business / accounting skills , and some gentle persuasion
to get them on the right track.

I guess what you choose to do will be dictated by how much time you have to invest in this "project."

I hope you decide to go for it--we can't afford to see ANY existing ranges/clubs go belly-up.

One word of advice: move VERY slowly and expect to take years to turn things around. I've seen more than one club where the "management" was really just a bunch of old coots who like promulgating rules and messing with "new guys." (And if you don't think the pinnacle of the shooting sports is putting 20 rounds downrange with the old '03 A3 twice a year, you'll always be a "new guy." )

Good luck!
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:08:19 AM EST
Give it a shot.

But get used to this feeling..................
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 8:32:51 AM EST
I too vote FIX IT, if you have the willpower.

Do you want to tell us what club it is? Maybe we can all join and take it over
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 4:52:03 PM EST
i say Dont worry about it.

i think all club meetings are exactly like that one. old timers grumbling,
new kids on the block bitchin they cant rapid fire,on and on.....
i guess thats what the meetings are for?

i never been to one where everyone was sooo happy just to be shootin.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 5:23:58 PM EST

Originally Posted By phillyd2:
I too vote FIX IT, if you have the willpower.

Do you want to tell us what club it is? Maybe we can all join and take it over

HeHeh , not like I didn't think of that already.

I'll see how it goes after i meet a few of the newer younger members and attend another
meeting and some functions.

One nice thing is once you attend 5 functions - a member has the right to RENT OUT THE CLUB
for a day - for $25
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 6:22:00 PM EST
No matter what, it (the work) always falls on the shoulders of a small handfull of members.

You know this sounds like one of the clubs I belong to.
Link Posted: 4/14/2006 9:03:35 PM EST
I think you should watch it until it fails and then fix it....

It sounds almost like a spoof they would have a on saturday night life.
Link Posted: 4/15/2006 3:20:58 AM EST
if you want to be smart, don't call rapid fire, rapid fire. controled fire is the new phrase. what the old fucks think is rapid fire, getting two rounds off in 10 minutes we think that is too slow. you need to sell rapid fire like this. no matter how fast the shooters is chucking rounds down range, as long as the rounds are going into the back stop and not becoming artilerty shells you are good to go. just be courteous the shooter next to you. this is how we got rid of our mag restriction. cmp shooters bitched that they could not practice under the old laws.
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 9:39:52 AM EST
For Gods sake, DON'T tell them you own "Assault rifles"... It will be your last meeting as a member of the club.

I've dealt with so many of those old cocksucking Elmer Fudd gun club members, I half wonder if they are all on HCI's payroll.
Anything other than a muskett, revolver, deer rifle, bow & arrow or fishing rod, is "unsportsmanlike" and should be BANNED from the club property.

The ONLY chance you have at that club is to remain quiet, until you have enought like-minded individuals to completely take it over and run the old guys OUT.

TRUST me on this.

A few clubs come to mind, that no longer allow machineguns or assault rifles.
(At one time they DID)

Hamburg Rifle & Pistol
Mill Creek Rod & Gun
Daniel Boone Rod & Gun

WHERE IS THE CLUB YOU'RE TALKING ABOUT ???
Link Posted: 4/16/2006 4:11:18 PM EST
Get more people like you to join the club.

Volunteer around the club to make yourself valuable AND shooting semi-auto. Just don't show up and shoot. You'll have more pull if you are the guy always helping out and doing more than they are. Plus you'll be in a position to gain leadership later.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 10:23:47 AM EST
That sounds like a pretty typical gun club meeting to me. Just make friends with the board members and you'll be allowed to do whatever you want.
Link Posted: 4/18/2006 12:43:40 PM EST
I too would like to know where this club is?

Who knows,maybe you can get 10 guys to join from this board & start a coup??

Or,make the 5 meetings & rent the place out for a small Pa Black rifle shoot,it goes well,& you [we]show the older members that we're responsible gun enthusiasts & that the mean looking black rifles pose no threat to their way of shooting.It could be a win/win situation for everybody.
Top Top