Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Ohio
Site Notices
Posted: 11/3/2009 8:14:09 AM EDT
Does anyone know of or have experience with any gunsmiths based around Southwest Ohio? A friend of mine has an old Yugo M48 Mauser that he wants drilled and taped so he can put a scope on it and I've got lots of little things I'd like done to my 1911. While I'm not sure about fitting parts or installing sights I would imagine a tool and die shop would be at least be able to do drilling and tapping and are probably more common that actual gunsmiths.

Both of us are really looking for someone we don't have to ship to and can deal with face to face. If anyone has any suggestions or experiences for the local area I'd really appreciate some pointers. Keep in mind that "local area" means anything up to, say, 45 minutes from the Dayton area.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 3:09:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Gander Mtn at Huber Ht has gunsmith. I think they charge $45 for drill and tap.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:42:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Keller in Bradford, if he is still around.. (between Covington and Greenville right on 721 last time I was there)

Name: Keller Gunsmithing
Street: 147 North Miami Avenue
Bradford, oh 45308-1013
Phone: (937) 448-2424

There is Mauser Man or something like that towards Columbus.

You would be best to have a smith do it, as there is a common spacing for the sight bases.. if you drill for a 1 piece, you only need to add the 2nd hole at rear if you were to buy and install a 2 piece.. I have that abiity with 1 of my Mauser, it is drilled correct for 1 piece, but I could install 2 piece if I want,,, the other ws drill random for 2 piece, but it will not accept the 1 piece base crorrectlly.

What pieces/parts you want for your 1911 fitted, most items is simple to do, but I would farm the barrel-link  fitting/timing out to a person who does 1911 work.
Link Posted: 11/5/2009 5:52:47 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
What pieces/parts you want for your 1911 fitted, most items is simple to do, but I would farm the barrel-link  fitting/timing out to a person who does 1911 work.

Eh, nothing specific yet. I've had this beater 1911 for a while that I keep coming up with new things I want done to it (Bo-Mar sights cut and installed, front strap serrated, maybe a target barrel and bushing, etc.) whenever I get the funds together. I'm pretty confident I could personally fit a beavertail safety or extended slide stop myself; the stuff that requires machining is the stuff that'll need to be farmed out.
Page Hometown » Ohio
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top