Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2010 12:22:09 PM EDT
I have a beater Remington Rand 1911A1 that shoots great, but the front sight is worn down and the rear is too narrow for my old eyes. So I just need the slide dovetailed for Hienie sights and then the whole thing refinished, I'm also open to suggestions on a good finish. I like parkerizing, but I know there are better options. This isn't much of a job, so I don't need one of the ultra high-end guys with ultra long lead times to do the job. I haven't seen Bob around here so I assume he is swamped. Any recommedations?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:24:54 PM EDT
[#1]
Marc Krebs. I wouldn't even let any other local "gunsmiths" touch a piece like that. Whether Marc will actually do the job is another thing. Last time I spoke to him he said he wasn't doing 1911 work anymore, but that was in 2008.

You're the kind of guy that would put a modern stereo in a 67 Chevelle aren't you Andy?
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 2:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I haven't seen your Remington Rand and maybe I shouldn't comment on altering it, but if it's an original GI gun, it might make more sense to sell it and buy a newer 1911 with the sights you want. Even a rough GI gun is worth a bit of money to a collector.
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 6:34:05 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:
I haven't seen your Remington Rand and maybe I shouldn't comment on altering it, but if it's an original GI gun, it might make more sense to sell it and buy a newer 1911 with the sights you want. Even a rough GI gun is worth a bit of money to a collector.

It really is a beater, inside it is like new, I'm convinced it has all the original and correct RR (HS barrel) parts and it shoots great. But is had some serious surface rust when I got it with mild pitting here and there. The front sight and upper edges on the slide look like someone buffed it with a bench grinder before they reparked it. I have thought long and hard about it and it's what I want. I did have an unfired (when I bought it) DCM Ithaca 1911A1 that I sold to a collector rather than butcher, so I do appreciate fine martial weapons, this just isn't one of them.

Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:32:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

It really is a beater, inside it is like new, I'm convinced it has all the original and correct RR (HS barrel) parts and it shoots great. But is had some serious surface rust when I got it with mild pitting here and there. The front sight and upper edges on the slide look like someone buffed it with a bench grinder before they reparked it. I have thought long and hard about it and it's what I want. I did have an unfired (when I bought it) DCM Ithaca 1911A1 that I sold to a collector rather than butcher, so I do appreciate fine martial weapons, this just isn't one of them.

Its nice to see that you put some thought into this!  
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 7:40:23 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 7/20/2010 10:33:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to try Mike at Midwest Sporting Goods in Lyons. I haven't had him do any work for me, personally, but I've heard good reports about his work.

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 3:07:19 AM EDT
[#7]
Why not just fit another slide? Save the RR slide for posterity. If you ever change your mind and want to sell the piece that slide will raise it's value.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:28:03 AM EDT
[#8]
Just to throw in another two cents...

Dovetails need to be cut on a dovetail cutter with an end mill. IIRC, the pitch is around 60 degrees. There may be other ways to do it, but this is how I know how to do it. Not a job for beginners at all.

I'd repark the RR and build a shooter. Of all the guns I have built, the 1911 is among one of the best and challenging projects. I have known very few people who could correctly tune an extractor let alone cut dovetails.

I'd have Krebs do it without question. Marc is one of the few true gunsmiths I have ever known.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 5:31:02 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

You might want to try Mike at Midwest Sporting Goods in Lyons. I haven't had him do any work for me, personally, but I've heard good reports about his work.

Mike is definitely the real deal. He's opening his own shop, though. I think he's done at Midwest in the next few weeks.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:10:08 AM EDT
[#10]
Only 3 people would ever work on a 1911 of mine.

1- Bob Miller
2- Mark Krebs
3- Jesus

In that order.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 9:49:18 AM EDT
[#11]
Canyon Creek

Rich did awesome work on my Springfield Champion.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:03:13 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

1- Bob Miller
2- Mark Krebs
3- Jesus

In that order.

I wouldn't leave out David Stagg, except that I don't think he's doing it anymore.  He was a top 1911 guy even among the 1911 Smiths.  Magazine cover stuff.

Barry at Maxon was also a top notch smith, but virtually all the work he does now is farmed out to local hacks.  

I have used them both many times, and now they are no more.

So, Bob is at school and barely takes any work.  Mark works only on AKs now.  Dave and Barry are retired by all accounts.

Who else?

Link Posted: 7/21/2010 12:24:17 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:

1- Bob Miller
2- Mark Krebs
3- Jesus

In that order.

I wouldn't leave out David Stagg, except that I don't think he's doing it anymore.  He was a top 1911 guy even among the 1911 Smiths.  Magazine cover stuff.

Barry at Maxon was also a top notch smith, but virtually all the work he does now is farmed out to local hacks.  

I have used them both many times, and now they are no more.

So, Bob is at school and barely takes any work.  Mark works only on AKs now.  Dave and Barry are retired by all accounts.

Who else?

Back in the early 90's I had Barry customize my Series 70 Gov. He did a great job –– Videcki speed trigger, dove tailed sights, blended Kings beavertail, Kings ambi-safety, a trigger job that's so light some might say it's dangerous and a complete refinish. The gun is accurate as can be and he did an awesome job. I've since retired it to my safe. Might have to break it out next month while I'm home.
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 1:08:51 PM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/21/2010 4:44:30 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

1- Bob Miller
2- Mark Krebs
3- Jesus

In that order.

Putting Krebs second on your list is foolish. I don't know Bob, and I understand the man is good. But holding a candle to Krebs with anything gun related is not possible.

Marc makes his own springs for God's sake, springs man. Who else makes springs?

Marc Krebs could possible be the finest gunsmith in this country. If he would only pull his pants up or get a belt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top