Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 2/15/2006 5:37:33 PM EDT
Hello all ye cheesehead brethren!

I am trapped (going to college) in MN, where they have a absolutley ridiculous "assualt weapons" law that requires a permit to purchase. I have the permit, but the permit has written on it conditions such as having a MN ID, which does not appear in the law. It is very confusing and I am driving myself crazy trying to figure it out. I'm not posting here to get answers to that cluster .......

I'm thinking to stay totally legal and not deal with the headaches of trying to figure this out, that I may just take a road trip to Superior (closest boarder town to me) to pick up my lower. Just wondering what shops there sell them, what brands, and how much.

Thanks Guys,

Go Packers
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:25:56 PM EDT
You want to talk to inferno710.
He's from up there.
He'll know the lay of the land.

Watch your ass as far as what you're doing.
Sounds a little hokey for some reason.

Good luck.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 8:52:06 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/15/2006 8:56:42 PM EDT by glenn_r]

Originally Posted By Throttle-Junkie:
Watch your ass as far as what you're doing.
Sounds a little hokey for some reason.

dkhntr04,

Are you a MN or WI resident?

If you're a WI resident, you're golden.

If you're a MN resident, you have to be in compliance with both state's laws. Sale of AR15 receiver is legal as far as Wisconsin is concerned, as long as it complies with MN's "assault weapons" law. Sale must be legal in both adjacent states to be legal in WI (WI statute 175.30). I have no idea whether the sale of an AR-15 receiver to a MN resident complies with the MN "assault weapons" law.
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:38:10 PM EDT
I've had Superior Shooters Supply order a lower for me before. It was a slightly difficult (in my opinion) transaction, but that was a few years ago.

Usually I just buy them at gun shows.

There's a big gun show in Minneapolis this coming weekend, there should be lowers there. Not sure when the next Duluth show will be..but AR stuff is avreal hit or miss at the local shows.

If you decide you can go the MN route, Fishermans Corner is probably your best bet, or you could try Alamo Guns and Pawn in Cloquet.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 6:39:55 AM EDT
dkhntr04,
Are you a actually a WI resident just going to college in MN?
Cheers,
Dave
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 9:47:05 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 2/16/2006 9:48:59 AM EDT by dkhntr04]
I'm a Wisconsin resident college student going to school in Bemidji MN, I grew up in Grafton. Their "assault weapons" law here mandates you have a permit to purchase. I have the permit, but written on it it states that you need a "Quanitfying Minnesota ID" for it to be valid. However the state laws say nothing to this effect. This is creating enough grey area in the law to where I'm not to comfortable purchasing a lower here. It seems the more I try and learn about the laws that pertain, the more confused I get. That's why I'm motivated to drive all the way back to WI just to pick up a lower, avoid the headscratching and legal grey area. Not trying anything fishy, just trying to avoid something that could fishy.

My first post sounds a little strange, I was a little annoyed/ frustrated after spending the better part of the day trying to get a handle on the laws here and only coming out more confused than when I started.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:20:13 AM EDT
Should be able to go and get a MN ID card since your going to school there. Might make things easier for ya
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:51:55 AM EDT
I have been thinking about that and that is probably what I will have to do.
Link Posted: 2/16/2006 11:21:39 PM EDT
You should be able to buy a lower in MN with your WI id. I have done this a few times at gun shows from DPMS.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 1:52:56 PM EDT

You should be able to buy a lower in MN with your WI id. I have done this a few times at gun shows from DPMS.

Do you have you permit to purchase?

I talked to the "permit guy" at the BCA today, and he said everything should be fine since the statues do not say that MN residency or ID is required by law.
Link Posted: 2/17/2006 2:54:48 PM EDT
No permit or mn CCW. I know for a fact I have bought at least 1 lower straight from DPMS at a gunshow. I have also bought an AK and SKS in MN without those. One place would not sell me a yugo sks though.. ?
Link Posted: 2/26/2006 12:44:37 PM EDT

Originally Posted By colt100:
Should be able to go and get a MN ID card since your going to school there. Might make things easier for ya

Becareful... Because it is Illegal to have a State ID and a DL in MN. One will cancel the other out. And they may say your DL is no good in MN. Happened to a friend. Just have to dealer call that same guy at the BCA and ask. That should solve everything for you.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 10:16:06 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Pstores:

Originally Posted By colt100:

Becareful... Because it is Illegal to have a State ID and a DL in MN. One will cancel the other out. And they may say your DL is no good in MN. Happened to a friend. Just have to dealer call that same guy at the BCA and ask. That should solve everything for you.

So let me get this strait, you want an ID card for whatever reason so the ID card will cancil out your WI or MN driver's license???

I can't see how having an ID card would in any way affect your driver's license. I would like to the MN statute on this.

Oh, a friend of mine once made an offhand shot at a running deer at 1000 yards with a 22 LR. He said he got it. Happened to a friend of mine....

Sorry about being a smart ass but I have heard a lot of things that happened to a friend once. Please provide proof.

Link Posted: 2/27/2006 11:54:21 AM EDT
I would just not screw around with the MN bully. Just buy your gun in Wisconsin and call it a day. Since you are a resident I can't see any problems. The only thing that may suck is a 2 day wait period, you would have to drive down twice.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 12:33:18 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Bill2k1:
I would just not screw around with the MN bully. Just buy your gun in Wisconsin and call it a day. Since you are a resident I can't see any problems. The only thing that may suck is a 2 day wait period, you would have to drive down twice.

There's no waiting period for AR's in WI.
Link Posted: 2/27/2006 1:02:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By inferno715:

Originally Posted By Bill2k1:

There's no waiting period for AR's in WI.

ah cool, I've never bought an AR so I took a guess
Link Posted: 3/1/2006 6:57:53 AM EDT
I never knew MN had its own AWB. That sucks. All I knew was that you can't own supressors there.
Top Top