Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/22/2011 6:36:36 PM EDT
Anyone have a lawyer they recommend in the mid mo area that can help me set up a trust for nfa items.  I talked to my friend who is a lawyer and she said their firm charges a 1000 bucks.  I am not going to spend a 1000 bucks to set up a trust.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:41:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
Anyone have a lawyer they recommend in the mid mo area that can help me set up a trust for nfa items.  I talked to my friend who is a lawyer and she said their firm charges a 1000 bucks.  I am not going to spend a 1000 bucks to set up a trust.

This is relevant to my interests......but I'm closer to St. Louis.
Link Posted: 12/22/2011 6:55:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Whatever you do, make sure you go to an attorney that is experienced with the ATF and knows Title II.  Otherwise, if you're just going to get a boilerplate revocable living trust, which you could have set up on Quicken or LegalZoom for $100.  It will have nothing in it about prohibited persons, Form 5's, etc unless you write it in there.  It will satisfy the ATF for the purposes of your Form 1 or 4, but is a weak in protecting the items it holds when you die (which is the whole underlying purpose of a trust, right?)

I did my revocable living trusts,wills, POAs, living wills, etc a few years ago.  My attorney bought the gun trust from GunTrustLawyer.com, changed a few things, and executed in MO along with all my other documents.  All said and done, it was well over $1500, but it was something that needed to be done to protect our children.  Doing the gun trust along with everything else saved some money.
Link Posted: 12/23/2011 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#3]
really nobody has a lead on a lawyer for this ?
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 8:54:24 AM EDT
[#4]
So far the only good answer I have got so far is gunlwyer.com. $600 through them

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/24/2011 9:11:25 AM EDT
[#5]
i went the 50 dollar, quicken willmaker route...cuz i didn't have any luck with lawyers...

I'm only 22 so  i didnt think a complicated trust was necessary since i have no children or wife.
Just needed the trust to get this SBR off the ground. I'll pay the money later in life to make the trust more complex..

sorry i couldnt help. FWIW my dads free UAW lawyer (who did his trust for our family) wouldn't touch the firearm trust with a 10ft pole
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:16:12 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
So far the only good answer I have got so far is gunlwyer.com. $600 through them

Has anyone used the guy in Springfield, Doug, through the gunlawyer website?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:36:48 PM EDT
[#7]
I have read the documents that Doug produced as part of the Gun trust Lawyer, after reading them there would be no way that I would use Quicken or Online Lawyer service. The Gun Trust lawyer seems complete and professional.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:41:03 PM EDT
[#8]
Check with smullen on here.he is getting ready to do this too. I believe he has found a lawyer already to draw it up.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:13:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

+1  

i asked this question once too and thats about all i got too
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:44:29 AM EDT
[#10]
There is no way I'm spending 600.00 for a trust. I'll go without instead.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:28:31 PM EDT
[#11]
I am using a Attorney local to STL to do mine.  He normally does Estate Trust and tax cases so this is his first go at a NFA Trust.  I asked if he minded if I posted his info and until mine is finalized next week and we make sure there are no additions or changes that need to take place for NFA approvals he wants to hold on getting any info out.  At least after I go through my first purchase it will be rock solid for anyone else that wants to do a Trust.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:43:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Make sure it has some language in it that if any of the trustees become a prohibited that they are automatically out of the Trust.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 1:43:55 PM EDT
[#13]
The owner of the gun store I work at (Steele Point Guns) is an attorney and has been working with the Apple Law Firm in regards to setting up trusts specific for Missouri in regards to NFA Trusts.  I believe his cost is ~$600,  

Here is his contact info:

Will Cheeseman

PO Box 343
1124 East Cherry Street
Troy, MO 63379
Phone: (636) 528-5299

The gun store is located next door to the law office, so once you get your trust set up, you can come over and order your toys  We are an 07FFL/02SOT
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:57:47 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Check with smullen on here.he is getting ready to do this too. I believe he has found a lawyer already to draw it up.

Yea, I'm planning on using the Guntrust lawyer guy... http://www.guntrustlawyer.com/states/missouri/

Here is a response I got when I dropped him an email... (I'm sure its the same one anyone else would get, if they inquired too)

Dear  Scott,

In Missouri, the cost to draft a trust to meet your desires as well as what is necessary to protect your family,
review the trust with you,

teach you how to use it,

teach you how to purchase the NFA items correctly, and

teach you how to avoid the common procedural violations of the NFA

Runs $600 including the local lawyers fees.

For more information download this document or follow this link  

I should have already had this done, but the little issue of bills and expenses keeps poping up...  I need to set aside a few bucks this check and next and just make it happen...  

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:09:52 PM EDT
[#15]
Nevermind.....
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:58:13 PM EDT
[#16]
how much is he going to charge ?

Quoted:

I am using a Attorney local to STL to do mine.  He normally does Estate Trust and tax cases so this is his first go at a NFA Trust.  I asked if he minded if I posted his info and until mine is finalized next week and we make sure there are no additions or changes that need to take place for NFA approvals he wants to hold on getting any info out.  At least after I go through my first purchase it will be rock solid for anyone else that wants to do a Trust.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top