Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/20/2008 7:33:25 PM EDT
How much is too much?  How heavy of a gun safe do you have or would you feel comfortable putting on the second floor of a home?

This may be my best option right now...
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 8:32:24 PM EDT
[#1]
ASCE 7 calls for a live loading of 40PSF for residential dwellings.  Considering that does not include dead loads, typically you can put a 500lb safe easily and safely on the second floor.  In reality you can push it even higher then that.  Just remember that wood over time creeps and the safe could deflect some of the structural members.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:08:07 PM EDT
[#2]
That's what I'm afraid of...I know I won't be putting the 1500# 50 long gun safe upstairs, but I was thinking of 2 500# safes in different areas.

I think i just need to talk the wife into putting the big one in the master bedroom... but that means not having my guns with me in the gun room.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:28:32 PM EDT
[#3]
i was thinking about the same thing a couple of years ago but then i thought what if i had a fire it would fall when the floor gave way and damage the integrity of the safe and if not damage the safe jack up the guns inside  same goes with a tornado on the ground your safe stands a better chance in a fire and in a tornado where it would at the most just tip over or get knocked around a little
i just knuckeled down put it in the garage with a golden rod and a dehumidifier block and a 60 watt light bulb for when it getts realy cold
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 9:59:40 PM EDT
[#4]
I come from a Home Construction background so I'm glad to be able to help in combining what I do with what I love (guns & ammo)

Two questions for You-

(A) Do you know how is your home was built (with engineered supports or cantilevered trusses between the floors)?

(B) Most important is how close to the exterior walls can you place the gun safe(s)?  

Reason being that the further away from the exterior walls, the more you risk "Sag" of the trusses.  The closer you can get to the exterior walls, the more the vertical support of the studs can carry the load Vs. at the center of the upper floor where the weight has the most leverage to deflect the trusses.

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:38:26 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks BH for your help.

The home was built using engineered supports and I can put the safe against an exterior wall if I have to, but I'd like it about 4' from an exterior wall.
Link Posted: 11/20/2008 10:46:08 PM EDT
[#6]
By any chance to you know the pattern for the engineered supports (are they run side to side or front to back on your house)?  

If you are 4' off the exterior wall you should be fine.

You can also put a wood base down to distribute weight.  I took some 2X12s and cut them to form a base that I then mounted safe on top off.  Keeps safe off the carpet (my brothers Remington Gun Safe left NASTY rust stains on his carpet when he finally moved it!!)

Best Regards and Be CAREFUL taking it up the stairs!!

BIGGER_HAMMER

Link Posted: 11/21/2008 4:13:05 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
That's what I'm afraid of...I know I won't be putting the 1500# 50 long gun safe upstairs, but I was thinking of 2 500# safes in different areas.

I think i just need to talk the wife into putting the big one in the master bedroom... but that means not having my guns with me in the gun room.

I had to keep my gun safe in my bedroom instead of my upstairs "gun room also".  Its not so bad, at least when I'm sleeping I have my choice of several weapons to defend myself.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 6:17:50 AM EDT
[#8]
A better question would be: How the heck do you plan to get it up those stairs?!?!?!

I would put a small safe near my bed for my SD weaponry, and I would put my main safe somewhere on the bottom floor...
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 7:37:45 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
A better question would be: How the heck do you plan to get it up those stairs?!?!?!

I would put a small safe near my bed for my SD weaponry, and I would put my main safe somewhere on the bottom floor...

Lol, a few guys can move anything when properly motivated...

And the bedside weaponry concerns have been taken care of for years.  Jacking around with a big safe when the shtf is not what I call conducive to survival.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 8:16:03 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:14:46 AM EDT
[#11]
You should be fine, just put it against an outside wall.  I would only worry about getting it up the stairs, but if you have help it should be no problem.
Link Posted: 11/21/2008 9:43:27 AM EDT
[#12]
I think I'll just keep the small safe I currently have up there and I'll buy the big one for the master bedroom.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top