Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 1/29/2006 8:11:57 PM EDT
I've been trying to figure out a good spot for another safe and keep coming back to the garage. Just fits best and I could get a much better safe. However, I am worried about the heat and cold cycles, humidity, etc. Assuming adequate security and a goldenrod or similar within the safe, would this be a problem in the north Texas area?

Thanks for any input or experiences.
Link Posted: 1/29/2006 8:14:06 PM EDT
Bad spot- the environment isn't controlled
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 4:51:53 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 4:59:43 AM EDT by plarkinjr]
Even north Texas is big..... Up here in North Dallas area, my garage ranges in temp from 40s in winter to 110 in summer. Humidity only gets high during rain and when the door is open. Most of the rest of the time its really dry (found a perfectly mummified toad under some stuff one spring). I guess if its between a safe and no safe, well, the garage *IS* better than the backyard. Good Luck!
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 7:02:58 AM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:31:19 PM EDT

Originally Posted By TheRedGoat:
There are a couple of MAJOR issues with security if you keep the safe in the garage.

First, it gives the bad guys a quiet place to hang out while they work on your safe. Second, it gives them access to YOUR tools, jacks, saws, etc. Third, there are generally some items in your garage that will burn, very hot, and much more intensely than in your average room in your house. Fourth, anytime your garage door is open, it allows casual observers to see that you have somethin of value stored (people don't put junk in safes). And, lastly, they can pull a vehicle in to your garage, while you are away, load up the safe, without your neighbors ever being the wiser.

Garage = bad idea.

Every safe can be opened. Either by hard or soft methods of cracking it, or the violent approach which is a gun to the owner's head.

If you have a safe, place it in a less obvious location, watch your fire load around it, and keep prying eyes from knowing that you own a safe.

TRG

+1

Very good points
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:44:29 PM EDT
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 1:47:56 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 1:48:50 PM EDT by TheRedGoat]

Originally Posted By TheGheyGoat:

If you have a safe, place it in a less obvious location, watch your fire load around it, and keep prying eyes from knowing that you own a safe.

TRG

Hey, your a firefighter,Neww chair for me, yh\r\thin waoons wiht mgear gets it bad 10 fold.
Lots goodied oanedd, And since TRT\G won;r there, mre for thr nr members,;

TXL
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:07:35 PM EDT
Uh, SPEAK ENGRISH MUTHa' FUKA'
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 2:35:45 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/30/2006 2:36:05 PM EDT by ORinTX]
It's not ideal. If you're going to put it there, put a golden rod in it.

Some of the issues raised re: security can be addressed by hiding the safe. Build cabinets around it or something.

If you own a plasma torch, get rid of it

If you can find a place inside the house, that's a lot better.
Link Posted: 1/30/2006 9:06:24 PM EDT
Mine is in the garage. Locks on all the doors that require a key. Safe weighs roughly 1600 lbs loaded. I don't think you'll be moving it while it's loaded! In this part of Texas, you have to wonder if the neighbors might be watching the place with a rifle. Odds of removing my safe (Alive!) are real slim.

But you need to put a Golden Rod in there to control humidity.
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 3:56:00 PM EDT
I've been looking at the Zanotti safes. They come in pieces and you can assemble them in the closet where you would need to tear down walls to remove it. Easier to take with ya if you move too. I'm pretty sure this is what I'm getting.. www.zanottiarmor.com/safes.html
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:15:55 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 1/31/2006 5:16:22 PM EDT by TheRedGoat]
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 5:53:33 PM EDT
Thanks for the input, Hmm, not positive. I was more concerned about the climate than security. This was a real safe, 3,000lb-empty-not-your-fathers-stack-on-cabinet safe, wire into the alarm system, etc.

Had looked at Zanotti many times in the past, they seem great for a limited set of circumstances. For me the space is a problem, not the installation, and the fire rating is a bit weak too. They used to be just a hurtful premium over a standard safe, now they are double it seems
Link Posted: 1/31/2006 6:05:01 PM EDT
ours is in the garage wired with claymore mines, guard towers and german shepherds.
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 4:38:27 AM EDT
Hey TRG, you ever get those sportsmans guide coupons for your great advice?

TXL
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 5:55:18 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/1/2006 6:04:46 AM EDT
SPG2766
The $5.00 OFF COUPON is good only on merchandise of $49.00 and greater.
COUPON EXPIRATION DATE: February 5, 2006.
COUPON VALID FOR ONE ORDER
ONLY ONE COUPON MAY BE USED PER ORDER

SPG2070
The $10.00 OFF COUPON is good only on merchandise of $ 99.00 and greater.
COUPON VALID FOR ONE ORDER

SPG2312
The $15.00 OFF COUPON is good only on merchandise of $149.00 and greater.
COUPON VALID FOR ONE ORDER.

SPG2060
The $20.00 OFF COUPON is good only on merchandise of $250.00 and greater.
COUPON VALID FOR ONE ORDER.

Link Posted: 2/1/2006 8:24:27 AM EDT
Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:22:13 PM EDT
If your water heater is in the garage, that could be another problem. If it lets go at night or when you aren't home you could flood the safe.

Humidity is a problem.

Another problem in the garage is when you open the door to drive in or out it is easy to see in.

I don't care if a safe does weigh 1600 lbs. A guy with a flatbed tow truck can take it in a few minutes. Of course that goes for a safe in the house too, I guess, but as I mentioned above it is easier to see a safe through an open garage door.

If you put it in the garage be sure to cover it. A big sheet would do. Build a closet around it. Make the walls out of 3/4 inch plywood and put on a steel door with a good dead bolt. That will slow down creeps more and make them more likely to go somewhere else.

I'd rather have a safe in the garage than no safe at all.

Link Posted: 2/7/2006 4:31:42 PM EDT
Link Posted: 2/8/2006 4:40:43 AM EDT
If you're in the country or garage is in back yard, prying eyes may not be an issue..wouldn't worry too much about that.

If your garage is attached to the house...more risky. You should consider that if they break into your garage for the safe, then the door to your home from the garage should be piece of cake. Therefore, if safe is in view of the world, you are asking for you whole house to be ransacked.

Humidity is the problem, not really everyday heat. Safes are designed to breath so you will need humidity control. And I have read that in most areas fire is more risky than burglary, so get good fire protection. Mine is rated at 105 minutes at 1500, have also read most intense fires burn at 800-1000 for only 20-30 minutes in any particular area of a typical home.

An important point...get one big enough..since you already have one and getting a second, I think you know what I mean. The cost of a second safe is much more than the cost of a bigger first one!

One garage advantage is you can be more flexible on mounting the safe to floor, walls, bracketing, etc...so may be easier to make secure if your not worrying about tight closets space, carpet, finished walls, etc inside the home.

I have seen one installation where a wall of shelves was built in front of the safe. The wall is on hinges and swings away from front of safe. You never would have known it was there. Thought that was pretty cool.
Top Top