Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/13/2009 10:21:33 AM EDT
Opinions Please

Gun safe in garage OK? Insulated. Probably with a 60 to 90 degree temp range. Central Texas.
Goldenrod?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:25:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Anyone?
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 12:35:22 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 3:19:37 PM EDT
[#3]
If its going to be in the garage, you need to go with a golden rod instead of the desiccant cans. My dad had his safes in the garage for years and never had a problem once he started using golden rods.
Link Posted: 6/13/2009 8:25:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I keep my safe and ammo stock in the house.  One safe for the guns, another one for the ammo and other valuables.  I don't live in a bad neighborhood by any means, but having it all inside in a climate controlled environment, along with a home alarm system makes me feel better.  

__
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 5:22:02 AM EDT
[#5]
Garage offers better advantages for the LARGE safes you cannot reasonably place in the house.  You will need a good dehumidifier in CenTex, especially during this time of year.  And your garage will be over 100 degrees in the summer, if you keep it shut.

Downside is people will know what you have if you keep the doors open for any length of time.
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 8:25:35 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

Downside is people will know what you have if you keep the doors open for any length of time.

Build a cabinet around it or keep a piece of plywood in front of it.

Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:32:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Build a cabinet around it or keep a piece of plywood in front of it.

Good idea "in the garage". My safe was kept in the garage with dessicant cans. The only problem was when Hurricane Ike came through the Bay Shore area my garage was flooded. The safe had guns and lots of ammo stored in it. Aproximately 31 inches of water ruined the safe and some of my ammo. The guns cleaned up good (except for a couple of wood stocks)some ammo that wasnt stored properly did not. My flood insurance would not pay for the contents of my garage. I recieved a new safe from Cannon because they honor thier warranty for fire or flood dammage shipped to my curb. I thank GOD we had no water get in the house, as our home sets about 3.5 feet on pier and beams. Some of the nieghbors did get it in thier homes.

So someone might consider the unforseen and check thier insurance flood policies. Some homeowners policies will have limited liability for guns too.
I was going to enclose my safe in a cabinet prior to the hurricane just didnt get to it. Now my safe is in climate controled indoors,
Link Posted: 6/14/2009 2:58:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Aint no way I would ever have my gun safe in a garage. Most garages are easy to break into, and with you opening the door anyone driving walking by could see it.
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:14:58 AM EDT
[#9]
If someone wanted to steal the entire safe from your garage, it seems like they could just rip it from the foundation with a truck and break into it at their leisure at another location.  I doubt that'd be possible if your garage is as cluttered as mine though
Link Posted: 6/15/2009 5:02:41 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
If someone wanted to steal the entire safe from your garage, it seems like they could just rip it from the foundation with a truck and break into it at their leisure at another location.  I doubt that'd be possible if your garage is as cluttered as mine though

An attached garage makes it real easy to park in the garage & loot the house into the parked vehicle. Most doors from a garage to inside a home are weak. Lots of remote door openers that are easy to find the frequency of to open.

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 8:29:46 AM EDT
[#11]
I live in a apt i was considering a 30-40 gun safe and the garage is the only place it fits. THe garage door when closed is pretty solid i have tried opening it by hand not gonna happen lol.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 10:53:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Opinions Please

Gun safe in garage OK? Insulated. Probably with a 60 to 90 degree temp range. Central Texas.
Goldenrod?

I would NOT put my safe in the garage, and I do not.  Too much moisture and temperature changes. Guns should be stored in a climate controlled area.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top