Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 4/3/2007 6:30:08 PM EDT
Anyone have recommendations on gun safes?  Sam's club has a very nice one for $581 that seems cheaper than most places.  Delivery of course is expensive.  Anyone know of a good delivery company as well?

Indianapolis/Anderson area
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 6:40:41 PM EDT
[#1]
My dad and I moved his with a simple furniture dolly, not to be confused with $20 two wheeled cart.  BUT we did not have to go up/down any stairs. Any decent tool rental place would loan you a dolly cheaply.
Link Posted: 4/3/2007 11:50:07 PM EDT
[#2]
Another neat trick if you're moving on a smooth flat surface is to use golf balls as rollers.  It will take several people to balance it and move the golf balls around to keep them under the safe but it's a good way to move a heavy safe for re-adjustment.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 5:50:05 AM EDT
[#3]
I bought the Winchester safe from Sam's about a year and a half ago.  I've been happy with it for the price.

They will load it in your truck or trailer and I had a couple of buddies come over to help move it into the house.

At the same time I bought a heavy duty dolly from them to move the safe.  It worked fine but I only had to go up one step.  I think it was about $70 and I've used it for several other things too.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 2:03:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Theres a few delivery companies that leave cards with the safes at Gander Mountain, but for the $$ you can move the smaller Sams safe yourself.

My 14 y/o and I moved an 800# from my pickup into the main level family room using a rented refrigerator dolley....$12 for the day. Like the others said, if you have stairs or a 1000# I would have it delivered.

I have a couple friends that are happy with the Sams safes....all except for they outgrow them quickly.

Good luck,
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 5:21:30 PM EDT
[#5]
Jeff Johnson of Johnson Safes makes great products, but you'll be paying much more than $500.  He also does delivery.
Link Posted: 4/4/2007 8:36:09 PM EDT
[#6]
You can also rent a safe dolly that is electrice & will move it up a stairway (or out of a truck) with no problem
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 7:32:02 AM EDT
[#7]
height=8
Quoted:
Anyone have recommendations on gun safes?  Sam's club has a very nice one for $581 that seems cheaper than most places.  Delivery of course is expensive.  Anyone know of a good delivery company as well?

Indianapolis/Anderson area

I recommend a dead Upright Freezer stuck in a disused corner of the basement.  Cost?  Free +/- delivery.

Security through Obscurity.

They lock and are darn near fireproof.

A regular gun safe screams "Steal Me".  I would get a cheap assemble-at-home small Stack-On safe and put a couple of POS "throwaways" in it.  That way the BGs who go looking find a Safe and steal some guns... but not any good ones because they stopped looking after snatching the Raven .25 that has no striker...
Link Posted: 4/5/2007 6:44:52 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a Johnson safe that I paid 1525.00 for last year half long guns(24) half shelves, large shelf on top. Golden rod for moisture.

If your interested make me an offer..free delivery
Link Posted: 4/10/2007 6:05:45 PM EDT
[#9]
I have a Frontier safe that is one heavy SOB.   I got mine at the Indy1500 Gun show about 7 years ago and the same guy delivered it.
If it's a big safe and weighs as much as mine (900 lbs)... forget the golf balls and hire a professional safe mover.  It will be the best money you've ever spent.  Plus you won't get one of your friends hurt or killed.

Link Posted: 4/21/2007 3:11:44 AM EDT
[#10]
ShingleMonkey,

Dimensions?  Color?

Where are you?

Dave
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 5:05:48 PM EDT
[#11]
My 17 gun Liberty might scream steal me but the six inch bolts into the floor studs as well as lots of weight in guns and ammo (plus about 600# in the safe alone)say fuck off. Really if anyone is going to steal my safe they better have alot of time and help. It's bolted to the floor in a walk in closet and there are plenty of narrow corners to go around. It was hell getting it up the stairs and my wife bitches a little about losing the closet space but it ain't screaming nothing but "hard to steal"! I do like the cheap safe with the throwaway gun idea it's just I don't have any throwaway guns and am overall satisfied with my security measures!! BTW My cousin and I moved it upstairs with just the two of us(refrigerator dolly) and it was unbelievably hard. I swear one of my nuts blew out about halfway up. It was worth it to keep my babies so close!
Link Posted: 4/21/2007 7:29:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Would you take $700 for the safe?  I am in Indy

I have a Johnson safe that I paid 1525.00 for last year half long guns(24) half shelves, large shelf on top. Golden rod for moisture.

If your interested make me an offer..free delivery
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top