Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/2/2006 1:05:33 PM EDT
I searched and couldn't find the thread.  Is there any update on whats going on or is it closed for good.  
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 1:22:16 PM EDT
[#1]
According to people here: www.pafoa.org/forum/ranges-18/309-greater-pittsburgh-gun-club-closed.html the earliest they'd reopen is next spring, I haven't seen any recent updates anywhere, though.
Link Posted: 12/2/2006 8:32:26 PM EDT
[#2]
That would be nice for them to open up when the weather gets nice.  thanks for the link.
Link Posted: 12/4/2006 12:05:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If that is the case, if would be REALLY nice if they would stop putting things in the Sunday paper about shoots and the like.

There was a listing for GPGC in the "Shoots" section of the Sunday Post Gazette yesterday, which certainly implied that they were back in business.
Link Posted: 12/5/2006 8:42:57 PM EDT
[#4]
GPGC is not opening up under their previous management any time within the next century.

Take that one to the bank.
Link Posted: 12/6/2006 3:12:16 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 12/6/2006 1:01:32 PM EDT
[#6]
I'm sure the PG would cancel the ads if told.

No refund I can believe, but I see no reason to keep running the ads in the paper ever weekend.  If for no other reason than it is teasing the hell out of me every time I read it.

Alas, I think the poster above is correct about GPGC's fate, which is a damn shame because that was, by far, the best range in the Pittsburgh area.
Link Posted: 12/12/2006 5:38:37 PM EDT
[#7]
Those aren't paid ads.  Those are notices that run until someone calls and changes or stops them.  Some of the clubs make weekly changes to reflect their schedules and others just let the same thing run weekly.  Unless told otherwise, the PG will let it run forever.

If it bothers you that much, call the PG.
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 12:23:21 PM EDT
[#8]
So greater pitt is never going to open again?  Too bad.  I liked it alot.  If that is the case is there another range that is simalar?
Link Posted: 12/15/2006 1:21:00 PM EDT
[#9]
WTH even happened that it closed?  
Link Posted: 12/16/2006 11:31:36 AM EDT
[#10]
Getting good info on that is practially impossible as anyone who knows isn't saying.

The story I heard is that there was a BATFE raid and that is what closed them down.  I've also heard that it reopening with any of the current ownership involved is HIGHLY unlikely to happen.  But that is from the rumor mill as no official announcement has been made by management.

I agree that it sucks as that was, by far, the best place to shoot around Pittsburgh.  I don't know of any other range that has a 400m rifle range in this area.  I believe they would also allow full-auto (legal, of course) and suppressors, which is another rarity in this area.  They also allowed holster training, rapid fire, and most anything else (done safely, of course), which also is verboten at most places.

I just wish they'd cancel the PG announcements because every time I read them it gets my hopes up that they've reopened.  Then I Google their website, see nothing has changed, and get a cold slap of reality.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 5:54:55 AM EDT
[#11]
I heard *(Disclaimer : This is complete rumor with no substantive evidence, but hey, this is the internet)* that Tex has a felony way way way back in his past and that the entire range was in his wife's name.   Eventually the BATFE got wind of it, and hence the raid, and she wasn't home.  (leaving tex effectively in possession of how many guns?)

That would explain why it'll never reopen under the current management.
Link Posted: 12/17/2006 12:44:30 PM EDT
[#12]
Well def need to find a diferent range then becasue if I can't shoot the guns I have then why have them.  I have ammo and the willigness to do it but no were to go.  We need to put a shoot together or find a range that is simmalar to greater pitt.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 7:56:26 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
I heard *(Disclaimer : This is complete rumor with no substantive evidence, but hey, this is the internet)* that Tex has a felony way way way back in his past and that the entire range was in his wife's name.   Eventually the BATFE got wind of it, and hence the raid, and she wasn't home.  (leaving tex effectively in possession of how many guns?)

That would explain why it'll never reopen under the current management.

I heard the same rumor when the raid took place, but it wasn't off the internet.
Link Posted: 12/30/2006 12:10:40 PM EDT
[#14]
I've heard everything from he was running drugs out of the place to he sold an illegal machine gun to a felon.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top