Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/28/2011 5:15:13 AM EDT
So, we stopped buying meat from the grocery store because we want to go with grass-fed and I want to support a local farmer while feeding my family the best I can. So, does anyone know of any good farms in the northern VA area? I have a 15 cu ft chest freezer I would like to fill with either 1/2 or 1/4 of a cow and some chicken.  I've seen a few places, one that charges by the pound but charges you BEFORE they dress it. Found another one that tells you the exact amount you'll get after all cuts have been made and includes shipping, it was about 10 dollars per pound for about 76 lbs.

So, what insight or information do my fellow Virginians have to offer?

Here's what I found in Washington County.

This is a 1/4 for 763.00
4 - 5 oz - 6 oz Filet Mignon (Beef Tenderloin) Steaks
4 - 10 oz -12 oz Boneless Rib Eye Steaks
4 - 8 oz - 9 oz Boneless New York Strip Steaks
8 - 8 oz - 9 oz Boneless Sirloin Steaks
3 - 12 oz - 16 oz (1 lb) London Broil (Top Round) boneless Steaks
4 - 8 oz -10 oz Sirloin Tip Steaks
4 - 2.5 lb to 3 lb Boneless Chuck Roasts
2- 2 lb - 2.5 lb London Broil Roast
4 - 1 lb - 1.25 lb packs of Beef Shank- Great for making soup stock or stew
4 - 1 lb packs of Beef Liver
4 - 1.5 lb packs of Beef Short Ribs
5 - 1 lb packs of 1/4 lb Grass Fed Hamburger Beef Patties
25 - 1 lb packs of Grass Fed Ground Beef
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:40:07 AM EDT
[#1]
One of the folks I work with runs a beef operation on the side and is always trying to get me to buy a side.  I'll find her email address and get it to you.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 5:51:18 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
One of the folks I work with runs a beef operation on the side and is always trying to get me to buy a side.  I'll find her email address and get it to you.

Awesome. I would greatly appreciate that.

Oh, anyone know how much 76lbs would feed? We eat primal/paleo so we are eating red meat, chicken, or fish everyday.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 6:55:20 AM EDT
[#3]
In my experience planning little events for our office, 1 pound usually feeds 3 modest adult appetites.  Assuming of course there are other sides in the meal.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:12:37 AM EDT
[#4]
Honestly if you're spending that kind of money, keep looking around.  The last half beev I bought worked out to $3.50/lb.  I paid the hanging weight to the farmer, and a flat fee to the processor.  I also had it cut to my specs - thicker steaks, left a roast large (10+ lb), had the shanks ground, etc.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 7:55:18 AM EDT
[#5]

Anyone familiar with this place?

Hollin Farms
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:02:43 AM EDT
[#6]
For that much money I went with bison, I have some links on my home computer that I can look through when I get home.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 8:56:51 AM EDT
[#7]
For Christmas I bought an 8.5lb standing rib roast from a farmer/rancher in Jefferson co., WVa. Jefferson co is Charles Town, about 20 miles from Winchester. The beef is fed 1.5lbs of barley a day and the rest is grass from his property. He uses no hormones or supplements. The family has been farming here for well over 100 years. They are Masons from my Lodge and are very well respected in the area. They sell every weekend at the farmers market in Charles Town. Which is now closed for the winter.

Anyways, this was the BEST roast I've ever had, I'll be buying more beef from him come Spring. Their farm is Tudor Farms if you want to Google it or IM me for a phone #.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 11:09:32 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

Anyone familiar with this place?

Hollin Farms

I suppose this would be a good time to hash this out. Why do you want to switch to grass fed? Is it for the health aspect or the taste? I bring it up because there is a difference between grass fed and grass fed/grain finished, at least to some. The site above states "grass raised" and lets on they are grain finished.

Originally Posted By Hollin Farms FAQ:

For about six weeks before slaughter, we supplement the grass or hay diet with a few pounds of locally grown corn to help "finish" the animal.

Not sure if that would impact your choice but thought Id point it out.
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:09:30 PM EDT
[#9]
Contact Douglas at Rose River Farm

He raises black angus

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 12:37:43 PM EDT
[#10]
http://www.polyfacefarms.com/

And another great source for local food––http://www.eatwild.com/products/virginia.html
Link Posted: 12/28/2011 1:40:34 PM EDT
[#11]
Grass fed is going to taste alot different just an FYI, some like it some don't.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 6:53:21 AM EDT
[#12]
Ok here are a few I had in my bookmarks. When I was looking for bison I was surprised at how many small farms and ranches there are in Va. I dont really know how close they are to you but hope it helps. A lot of these type of places take pride in what they do and would be glad to show you around, I enjoy seeing where my food is coming from and think its pretty neat.

Mount Vernon Farm
Tendergrass Farm
Davis Creek Farm
Mountain Run Farm
Holly Grove Farm
Eat Bison Meat Va

These are some good sites that list a ton of local and small farm products.

Northern Valley Pastoral Guild
Farm Direct to You
Buy Local Virginia
Locavore Network
Eat Wild
Local Harvest

Be sure to let us know what you go with and how you like it.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 11:56:17 AM EDT
[#13]
I low the Uprights very well Mike I went to school with their daughter and other Fam members.
Does he still have his fish farm
He used to raise fish when I was a kid
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:18:54 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I low the Uprights very well Mike I went to school with their daughter and other Fam members.
Does he still have his fish farm
He used to raise fish when I was a kid

I don't know the Uprights, I know the Granthams, Joe, Bill and their Dad Jack, who is about 90 years old.
Link Posted: 12/29/2011 7:23:13 PM EDT
[#15]
Mrs grantham was an upright. I went to school with her daughters. And mr grantham was a cool guy. I always loved he wore the farmers hat all the time.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:33:17 PM EDT
[#16]

How far are you looking to drive to get a good product?  Are you set on just grass-fed?  Sometimes just buying the cuts you want is a better deal overall than going for a 1/4, 1/2, or whole beef.   Beef prices are outrageous now for anything of quality and are probably going to go up from here.  You also cannot tell how good of quality a beef will be just because of diet and such, there is many factors as to whether you are getting a good deal/quality or tough as nails and bland.  

My family runs a slaughtering business and has won about every award you can think of in WV, including best steak and was even selected for representing WV on Food Network.  It is too late to work a deal with them for quite a while since they are booked up months in advance, but they know everybody in the industry including folks closer to western VA, central/western MD, and WV pandhandle.  They also know most of the meat inspectors and they are a good inside source on which places to avoid.
Link Posted: 12/30/2011 5:37:20 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

How far are you looking to drive to get a good product?  Are you set on just grass-fed?  Sometimes just buying the cuts you want is a better deal overall than going for a 1/4, 1/2, or whole beef.   Beef prices are outrageous now for anything of quality and are probably going to go up from here.

My family runs a slaughtering business and has won about every award you can think of in WV, including best steak and was even selected for representing WV on Food Network.  It is too late to work a deal with them for quite a while since they are booked up months in advance, but they know everybody in the industry including folks closer to western VA, central/western MD, and WV pandhandle.  They also know most of the meat inspectors and they are a good inside source on which places to avoid.

Rich tells the truth, his family butchers some of the best meat you can buy in this area.  When I want good steaks, pork, ect. I go up to their store.  Hell, when I need anything quick I run up there, not like it ain't 1/2 mi away

Rich should be able to put you in contact with anyone in the meat industry
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:29:42 AM EDT
[#18]
I use BlueRidge Meats in Strasburg.  They rotate what the butcher from local farms weekly.  They have pork, lamb, grass and also grain fed beef.  Their bacon is out of the world.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 3:41:28 PM EDT
[#19]
Can't help out with where but we killed a beef and let it hand 14 days.  I cut it up yesterday and tried out a steak about 20 minutes after I finished up yesterday.  If you go this route I promise you when fresh it will be better then anything you can get at a steak house.  I love living on a self sustaining farm.  

Don't be afraid to tell them to cut the some of the bones out of the steaks (depends on how much quanity you plan on getting).  Yes, you will loose a little taste but they will last much longer.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:24:42 AM EDT
[#20]
I know it sounds funny, but I get a lot of my meat at a military commissary, 1 because it is inspected by a Vet for disease and 2 it is top quality at a fair price.  I also buy things like beef and pork roast at COSTCO their meet has always been rated tops by Martha Stewart and the late Julia Childs.  

Now for steaks I buy some of the best rib eye steaks you will ever eat from a fellow by the name of Danny Rohrer at the Shepherdstown Farm Market that operates from 9 AM to 1 PM on Sundays from about the middle of March until the 1st weekend in Dec.  During the winter you can find Danny Just off the Main Drag in Shepherdstown from around 9-12 on Saturdays, he is usually in a small refer truck on a pick up frame.

His meat is not cheap, but it taste like what I was fed as a kid, and you can cut it with a fork at around med well.  It is not organic as he will explain to you but it is grass fed, and no antibiotics or growth hormones are used.

I usually buy about a dozen 3/4 to 1 pound rib eyes cut around 3/4 thick at a time.  The average price is around $100.00 for a dozen.  Sometimes we just get enough to bring what we have in the freezer back up to a dozen.  

Best damn Beef your ever going to eat.  Having eaten Buffalo before and loving the taste, I may start buying more of that.

ANGMSG (Ron)
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top