Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2006 6:13:20 AM EDT
Just a heads up for folks in the neighborhoods around Spring Valley and Coit ( the good ones,, maybe the barrio too?)

Three weeks ago my grandfather was visiting a  friend in this neighborhood, the more well off side,  and was robbed/scammed.
 Here is the what happend: My grandfather and his friend were inside, the doorbell rings, he looks outside and sees a light blue pickup and a middle aged hispanic male outside. The guy claims to be from the water department and is checking for rusty water?, now here is the mistake, my grandfather lets in the "water department guy". Grandpa feels really dumb and embarrased for doing this, that is why we did'nt find out about it till allmost three weeks later. So, this guy starts poking around under the sink and ends up spraying something on grandpa's hand, "water department guy" says it is acid and tells grandpa's friend to get some ice. Meanwhile grandpa takes off Rolex and high order masonic ring. "water dept. guy" starts acting funny, grandpa calls him on it, the guy grabs the jewlery and high tails it.
There was a police report filed, but they did'nt seem too interested since the perp was let in.
I aggree grandpa should of asked for some ID, or been more cautious, but he did'nt.
 The good thing is no one was hurt.  
 It  just makes me so angry that people do this kind of thing, and not only that it happend to someone that I hold very dear and have the highest  respect for, but for one of the nicest most caring genuine person that  I have ever known. I know for a fact that if this same man were to of  just asked for a little help, Grandpa would of gladly donated. But this guy thought it was better to embarrass an old man, and steal two things that had alot more sentimental value than street value.

This post is not ment to get a bunch of shoulda woulda couldas.

It happend, no one was hurt physically, there are far too mant light blue pickups, and people in the Dallas area, and it happend too long ago to go looking for the perp. My father and uncles are keeping an eye out at pawn shops for  the jewlery, probablly pointless, but it is the only thing they can do, and I am 500 miles away so me doing any recon is not an option, at this point.

I just wanted ya'll to remind your loved ones that this stuff really happens and be very cautious, ESPICALLY when someone is trying to be invited into your home. We all need a reminder every now and then.

Thanks for reading, hopefully this will make it a little harder for this guy keep operating.

Be safe!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 9:54:16 AM EDT
[#1]
next time I guess he could have the guy check the outside hose bib.....I got scammed by mexican concrete contractor - he even gave me a receipt, and never showed, finally he showed, but nobody was with him to do work yet he needed more money....I know where he lives, etc....I also know a few other people he scammed out of thousands of dollars each...I am filing fraud charges, calling BBB, and small claims court...fucking POS mexican!
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 10:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
 That part of town is both Dallas(nice part) and Richardson.  As for Dallas Water Utilities, all of our people will be in uniform and have a picture ID visible.  They will also be in City of Dallas or Dallas Water Utility vehicles, they will not be driving unmarked or personally owned vehicles(water meter readers often use their personal vehicles, but they will never ask to enter a private home).  Our Inspectors/Sample Takers normally have it set up far in advance to take samples from a house, and then from the hose bib.  We have over 300 sample routes with multiple sample city sample points, the non-city sample points are usually located at a business address.

Dallas Water Utilities rarely if ever needs to enter a private residence for any reason.

mm
Link Posted: 2/15/2006 3:41:54 PM EDT
[#3]
sorry to hear about that bro.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top