Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 10/21/2004 5:15:38 PM EDT
Went to work as usual yesterday and was called into my boss's office late morning,  I figured that I was going to get my annual raise that was 3 months late.  But was instead given the news that they were down sizing and the my position was eliminated.  So as of yesterday I am one of the many unemployed people in Washington state.  Went in today one my own time and told my employees that I am no longer employed with the company.  I would rather that they hear it from me and not in a memo.  It made me feel real good that I had so much support from my staff.  

Anyway if anyone hears of any decent jobs let me know.  I don't know about up north but the job market down here in Vancouver isn't the best.

Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:21:12 PM EDT
[#1]
The whole state is hurting. Sorry to hear this.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:23:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Go in for the raise and get the boot instead?  That's harsh.

I hear that PattydingbatMurry is going to push stemcell research so everyone can get a job from it though.  
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 5:59:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 7:20:49 PM EDT
[#4]
Howdy!  What's your job and experience?   Company I work for had some openings not so long ago.   It's telecom related engineering.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:08:59 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Howdy!  What's your job and experience?   Company I work for had some openings not so long ago.   It's telecom related engineering.

I figure that I can do just about everything if I'm shown once.  Most of my experience is in law enforcement, para medicine, security and transportation.  

Maybe this is just a sign that I need to open my gun shop.  I figure I could get some of you guys to buy from me.  Or I would be in big debt from buying me to many toys...
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 8:17:02 PM EDT
[#6]
well my job is hiring welders but no of those fields would help welding metal lol
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 9:25:00 PM EDT
[#7]
From my job searching over the past 2 years, I'd say things have gotten much better in the past 4 months. Get out there, get networking, it works.
Link Posted: 10/21/2004 11:44:04 PM EDT
[#8]
After being unemployed for 6 out of the last 9 months, I finally got a job myself last week.  Now, I've gotten calls about two more!  I've been a contract Mechanical Engineer for 11 years now and had only been unemployed for a few weeks prior to this year. So, as bad as things were, they are definitely picking up now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:46:46 AM EDT
[#9]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 12:57:42 AM EDT
[#10]
Evansville IN police dept. is taking applications now.  
Evansville PD
Reasonable size city (about 120K in the city, 220 in the county), 200+ person dept., low cost of living, and the pay is excellent for the area (starting around 38K).  If you're under 36 that is.

Also, it's a very pro-gun state.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 1:04:02 AM EDT
[#11]
Washington....

Is there something you could do for income without depending on an employer?

That is the point I am at...had to make my business work because I am through with someone else affecting my dinner plate.

MT
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:41:19 AM EDT
[#12]
It's George Bush's fault!!

Sorry to hear.  Maybe just a sign of better things to come
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 5:55:39 AM EDT
[#13]
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:25:55 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
With your background, try looking for a contract job in Iraq.

You're looking to sell some gun parts, aren't you

Probably the part about Iraq jobs no one tells you is that if you're single you could liquidate your assets and put them in a CD. Course, you best not come back in two months.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:45:09 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
With your background, try looking for a contract job in Iraq.

The funny thing about your statement is that last week I was offered a job working tier 2 security over ther.  15K a month is good money but thought that my family is much more important in my life right now.
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 8:52:36 PM EDT
[#16]
Looked into corrections at Clark Co. S O.??
They normally have quite a list of openings, 'specially for someone with LE background.
Jeff
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:04:50 PM EDT
[#17]
Hey nightsniper how ya doin?  definetly miss ya around the bay. if ya need anything  give me a call or a email ill try to help ya out.  just wanted to pipe in and tell ya everybody already misses ya alot  and wishes ya well.  i wish you nothing but the best for you and your family!
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:13:34 PM EDT
[#18]
... I have two brothers that live in the Seattle metro area (Redmond / Bellview)

... If it's in your field, look to the machine shops. The 7E7 is gearing up, hiring going on now.  And if firefighting / SAR is your thing, consider trying out for a Fire/EMT position.

... I understand both hiring now
Link Posted: 10/22/2004 9:34:13 PM EDT
[#19]
Try  a Federal job at:

usajobs.opm.gov
Link Posted: 10/23/2004 8:56:19 AM EDT
[#20]
Another thought--Veterans Affairs Hospital in Portland/Vancouver is shorthanded in their police dept almost continuously.
Jeff
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top