Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Hometown » Iowa
Posted: 4/25/2014 5:20:17 PM EDT
...how they found me in MD I have no idea; I never provided them with forwarding information all the damn way out here.  Hell I haven't been a student there in nearly 15 damn years.

either way

apparently my information was on one of the servers that was hijacked to mine bitcoins.  I laughed hysterically at that one, because seriously....someone hijacks servers FULL of personal information that could be used to undergo massive identity theft, and instead of copying that and selling THAT on the black market, they instead just try to steal processing time to mine bitcoins....

oh well.  Guess they're springin for a free year of credit monitoring and ID theft protection, so at least there's that.

dumbasses.
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 6:49:06 PM EDT
[#1]
I got one also. Man and I was scheduled on their IT audit before I quit the state.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 4:40:14 AM EDT
[#2]
This has been happening, in general, EVERYWHERE. Presume that your information has been stolen, I do. I also wrote a strong letter to my college's president, IT head, and ITsec head, requiring an explanation of why their data retention policies allowed so much sensitive information about long-ago students to be retained on non-air-gapped servers. Guess what -- federal student loan regulations, and our Federal Identification Number (so-called SSN) being used as the general unique key to identify a person.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 5:54:28 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
This has been happening, in general, EVERYWHERE. Presume that your information has been stolen, I do. I also wrote a strong letter to my college's president, IT head, and ITsec head, requiring an explanation of why their data retention policies allowed so much sensitive information about long-ago students to be retained on non-air-gapped servers. Guess what -- federal student loan regulations, and our Federal Identification Number (so-called SSN) being used as the general unique key to identify a person.
View Quote

I'm fortunate in that where I'm currently stationed/employed, my credit is already watched by my employer, so if something strange happens, they hit me up and ask me why i'm applying for a dozen credit cards in europe.

Although I'm completely unsurprised at their reasons for retaining information about prior students.  I left ISU in 2001.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 8:33:06 AM EDT
[#4]
This type of thing is why I avoid public schools.....

Go GVU!
Link Posted: 4/28/2014 6:23:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Because they own awesome computing and processing power?

Yeah, seems like sound reasoning.

GO STATE!
Page Hometown » Iowa
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top