Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/15/2005 2:57:25 PM EDT
Ok I got an invite to go do some squirl hunting at a friend of a friends place.  (long story)

I have never hunted before like this, or anything.  

What do you use on those furry tailed rats.

If I am on private land can I use a 30rnd mag in my AR?

Need some feedback folks.

Thanks.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 3:00:41 PM EDT
[#1]
Are ya hunting them or just killing them?

If you're just killing them, the AR will work fine[ETA-what do I know], and I don't believe there are any capacity restrictions on squirrels.

IIRC, you can'T legally shoot in to their nest.

a 22lr rifle is a good way to take them if it's accurate and your fast enough. (Once you miss the first shot, they don't exactly stand still and wait for the next round)

a shotgun works o.k. too.

Are ya'll gonna make squirrel and eggs?

Oh, by the way, wait til after the first freeze. If they have wolves, you don't want to see them. Gross.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:55:48 PM EDT
[#2]
Ruger 10/22

ARH

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 4:58:35 PM EDT
[#3]
Here's what you need for those little furry bastards

Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:29:22 PM EDT
[#4]
.410 shotgun with #6 shot.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:38:25 PM EDT
[#5]

Oh, by the way, wait til after the first freeze. If they have wolves, you don't want to see them. Gross.

Ok I guess I'm being a bit   s...l...o....w, but , wolves?

Buzz
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:42:10 PM EDT
[#6]
I hope your kidding about the AR. For the most fun and to hone your skills use a 22LR. Irons rather than scope .But scope  is kool too. Head shot if possible. AR is to powerful.... And also you will be shooting up alot and the round will be going out to the unknown. Good luck and have fun, Wardawg
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 5:44:23 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Ok I guess I'm being a bit   s...l...o....w, but , wolves?

Buzz

Wolves is a parisite that can live in a squirrel. It grows into an ugly grub like creature and finally bores itself out and turns into a fly .. Gross as Hell but doesn't hurt the squirrel at all. Other animals can get them also. If your squirrel has it , you can tell by a large hard knot. Touch it and it will wiggle... WarDawg
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 6:36:42 PM EDT
[#8]
A wolf is a Botfly larva. They look nasty but come off with the skin when you clean them.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 7:04:02 PM EDT
[#9]
OHHHH.

I didn't know that.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 9/15/2005 9:10:11 PM EDT
[#10]
Ok I had to re-think my previous position.

Got 20mm?
How about 40mm?
Ok, Ok, Just gimme some 105mm and I'll be on my way!!!!!!!

Link Posted: 9/16/2005 2:28:49 AM EDT
[#11]
22LR , 10/22 or AR-.22 setup is fine.  I have been using Dyna points "subsonic round"
the past few sessions I have been out.  They don't seem to go "OH FRAK Joes dead!!"
so follow up shots are alot easier.  Other wise CCI Minimags work wonders.
Oh and rem once you shoot one 10 more are born out of no where.

Wolf
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 7:40:44 AM EDT
[#12]

i've had real good luck with the Aguila SSS.

60 grains of knockthehelloutofthem power

it's quiet and cycles fine.

come on by and I'll give you a box.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:20:31 AM EDT
[#13]
mmmmmm.....fried squirrell, gravy, and biscuits.....
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 9:36:44 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:
.410 shotgun with #6 shot.

+1, My Marlin .410 pump is a great rabbit/squirel gun
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 11:44:31 AM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:
mmmmmm.....fried squirrell, gravy, and biscuits.....

Thats what Jim is saying.  (He's the guy who is taking me on this endevor)

So, does squirrell taste like chicken???

buzz.
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 1:09:36 PM EDT
[#16]
squirrel aint nothing but a rat that can climb trees.. come to think of it i bet rats can climb trees too but have more sense than squirrels..

anyway, what exactly do you do with the squirrel, fry , bake barbecue, pan fry?

how many make a meal?
Link Posted: 9/16/2005 8:00:30 PM EDT
[#17]
You need to par-boil them so they're tender. Roll in seasoned plain flour and fry like chicken. make gravy with some of the oil and the pan drippings. Make a pan of hot biscuits and enjoy. I usually just cut 'em up into quarters. I cook rabbit he same way. Damn now I'm hungry and slightly drunk.

Oh, before you par boil , let them soak in salt water to draw the blood out.

I can't remember how Grandma used to cook 'possum but I never cared for it anyway, too greasy.
Link Posted: 9/17/2005 6:50:27 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
squirrel aint nothing but a rat that can climb trees.. come to think of it i bet rats can climb trees too but have more sense than squirrels..

Link Posted: 9/17/2005 8:55:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 7:54:35 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

If you're just killing them, the AR will work fine, and I don't believe there are any capacity restrictions on squirrels.

IIRC, you can legally shoot in to their nest.

a 22lr rifle is a good way to take them if it's accurate and your fast enough. (Once you miss the first shot, they don't exactly stand still and wait for the next round)

a shotgun works o.k. too.

Are ya'll gonna make squirrel and eggs?

Back in my tickett writting day I would have met you in the woods. Here are a few laws you would have violated.

27-1-30.
Except as otherwise provided by law or regulation, it shall be unlawful to disturb, mutilate, or destroy the dens, holes, or homes of any wildlife; to blind wildlife with lights; or to use explosives, chemicals, electrical or mechanical devices, or smokers of any kind in order to drive such wildlife out of such habitats, provided that this Code section shall not apply to poisonous snakes.

27-3-4.
It shall be unlawful to hunt wildlife with any weapon, except that:
(4) Weapons for hunting small game shall be limited to shotguns with shot shell size of no greater than 3 1/2 inches in length with No. 2 lead shot or smaller or federally approved nontoxic shot size of F or smaller shot, .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms, air rifles, muzzleloading firearms, longbows, recurve bows, crossbows, and compound bows; provided, however, that nothing contained in this paragraph shall permit the taking of protected species;

27-1-2.
As used in this title, the term:

(67) 'Small game' means all game animals and game birds other than big game

(71) 'Taking' means killing, capturing, destroying, catching, or seizing.

7-1-3.
(a) The General Assembly recognizes that hunting and fishing and the taking of wildlife are a valued part of the cultural heritage of the State of Georgia. The General Assembly further recognizes that such activities play an essential role in the state´s economy and in funding the state´s management programs for game and nongame species alike, and that such activities have also come to play an important and sometimes critical role in the biological management of certain natural communities within this state. In recognition of this cultural heritage and the tradition of stewardship it embodies, and of the important role that hunting and fishing and the taking of wildlife play in the state´s economy and in the preservation and management of the state´s natural communities, the General Assembly declares that Georgia citizens have the right to take fish and wildlife, subject to the laws and regulations adopted by the board for the public good and general welfare, which laws and regulations should be vigorously enforced. The General Assembly further declares that the state´s wildlife resources should be managed in accordance with sound principles of wildlife management, using all appropriate tools, including hunting, fishing, and the taking of wildlife.
(b) The ownership of, jurisdiction over, and control of all wildlife, as defined in this title, are declared to be in the State of Georgia, in its sovereign capacity, to be controlled, regulated, and disposed of in accordance with this title. Wildlife is held in trust by the state for the benefit of its citizens and shall not be reduced to private ownership except as specifically provided for in this title. All wildlife of the State of Georgia is declared to be within the custody of the department for purposes of management and regulation in accordance with this title. However, the State of Georgia, the department, and the board shall be immune from suit and shall not be liable for any damage to life, person, or property caused directly or indirectly by any wildlife.
(c) The department has the authority and the responsibility to work with cooperating sportsmen, conservation groups, and others to encourage participation in hunting and fishing at a level to ensure continuation of such activities in perpetuity and no net loss of hunting and fishing opportunity on state owned lands. Further, the department is authorized to promote and encourage hunting, fishing, and other wildlife associated recreation on state managed wildlife areas, public fishing areas, federally owned or managed forests, and other suitable public and private lands of this state.
(d) To hunt, trap, or fish, as defined in this title, or to possess or transport wildlife is declared to be a right to be exercised only in accordance with the laws governing such right. Every person exercising this right does so subject to the authority of the state to regulate hunting, trapping, and fishing for the public good and general welfare; and it shall be unlawful for any person exercising the right of hunting, trapping, fishing, possessing, or transporting wildlife to refuse to permit authorized employees of the department to inspect and count such wildlife to ascertain whether the requirements of the wildlife laws and regulations are being faithfully complied with. Any person who hunts, traps, fishes, possesses, or transports wildlife in violation of the wildlife laws and regulations violates the conditions under which this right is extended; and any wildlife then on his person or within his immediate possession is deemed to be wildlife possessed in violation of the law and is subject to seizure by the department pursuant to Code Section 27-1-21. Nothing in this subsection shall be construed to reduce, infringe upon, or diminish the rights of private property owners as otherwise provided by general law.
(e) It shall be unlawful to hunt, trap, or fish except during an open season for the taking of wildlife, as such open seasons may be established by law or by rules and regulations promulgated by the board or as otherwise provided by law.
(f) It shall be unlawful to hunt, trap, or fish except in compliance with the bag, creel, size, and possession limits and except in accordance with such legal methods and weapons and except at such times and places as may be established by law or by rules and regulations promulgated by the board.
(g) It shall be unlawful to hunt, trap, or fish for any game species after having obtained the daily or season bag or creel limit for that species.
(h) Except as otherwise provided by general law, the power and duty to promulgate rules and regulations relating to hunting, trapping, and fishing rests solely with the board. No political subdivision of the state may regulate hunting, trapping, or fishing by local ordinance; provided, however, that a local government shall not be prohibited from exercising its management rights over real property owned or leased by it for purposes of prohibiting hunting, fishing, or trapping upon the property or for purposes of setting times when access to the property for purposes of hunting, fishing, or trapping in accordance with this title may be permitted. Nothing contained in this Code section shall prohibit municipalities or counties, by ordinance, resolution, or other enactment, from reasonably limiting or prohibiting the discharge of firearms within the boundaries of the political subdivision for purposes of public safety.
(i) A person who takes any wildlife in violation of this title commits the offense of theft by taking. A person who hunts, traps, or fishes in violation of this title commits the offense of criminal attempt. Any person who violates any provision of this Code section shall be guilty of a misdemeanor.
(j) If any court finds that any criminal violation of the provisions of this title is so egregious as to display a willful and reckless disregard for the wildlife of this state, the court may, in its discretion, suspend the violator´s right to hunt, fish, trap, possess, or transport wildlife in this state for a period not to exceed five years. Any person who hunts, fishes, traps, possesses, or transports wildlife in this state in violation of such suspension of rights shall be guilty of a misdemeanor of a high and aggravated nature and upon conviction thereof shall be punished by a fine of not less than $1,500.00 nor more than $5,000.00 or imprisonment for a period not exceeding 12 months or both.

27-1-34.
In any prosecution for the violation of any of the provisions of the wildlife laws, it shall not be a defense that the person taking, possessing, selling, transporting, or storing wildlife was mistaken as to the species, sex, age, size, or any other fact regarding such wildlife or that the person lacked criminal intent, it being one of the purposes of the wildlife laws to penalize recklessness resulting in the violation of the wildlife laws.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:30:05 PM EDT
[#21]
Use this on them bushy-tailed rats!

Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:37:12 PM EDT
[#22]
50 BMG without a doubt.

MadDog
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 5:57:38 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Back in my tickett writting day I would have met you in the woods. Here are a few laws you would have violated.

DNR- It actually was a typo. I meant  CAN'T shoot their nest. From what I'd been told, it's to keep you from just haplessly killing any young they have.

I'm a responsible hunter.  I always check regulations before I do anything or go anywhre I'm not familiar with.

Sorry if I gave bad advice. That's why the reg's are printed in the first place I guess.
Link Posted: 9/18/2005 6:40:50 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

DNR- It actually was a typo. I meant  CAN'T shoot their nest. From what I'd been told, it's to keep you from just haplessly killing any young they have.

I'm a responsible hunter.  I always check regulations before I do anything or go anywhre I'm not familiar with.

Sorry if I gave bad advice. That's why the reg's are printed in the first place I guess.

OK
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 3:59:13 AM EDT
[#25]
I use my Grandad's 1940's Stevens single shot .22.  Works just fine.  CB ammo in the backyard doesn't alarm the sensitive neighbors.  When I feel more humane I just torture the little bastards with the G19 airsoft.

Mayo
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 2:47:54 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:
50 BMG without a doubt.

MadDog

problem is if you get em unawares thats ok. once they turn and charge the weight of the 50 is too heavy to keep on target with their small darting heads and the jerky side-to-side gait. most of the time to you will miss. and due to the mag capacity you may run out of ammo before they close on you.

once they close they will knock down and go for your nuts.. then its all over but the screaming..

and it does no good to drop your rifle climb trees like with bears (or grizs at least) becase squirrels and very good at climbing trees.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 6:04:43 PM EDT
[#27]

My, my, my......

What a bunch of jokers we have here.  

That last post almost made me propel my drink though me nose.  

Keep up the good work.

Buzz.
Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:21:39 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

Quoted:
50 BMG without a doubt.

MadDog hr

problem is if you get em unawares thats ok. once they turn and charge the weight of the 50 is too heavy to keep on target with their small darting heads and the jerky side-to-side gait. most of the time to you will miss. and due to the mag capacity you may run out of ammo before they close on you.

once they close they will knock down and go for your nuts.. then its all over but the screaming..

and it does no good to drop your rifle climb trees like with bears (or grizs at least) becase squirrels and very good at climbing trees.

Link Posted: 9/19/2005 8:50:06 PM EDT
[#29]
27-3-4.
It shall be unlawful to hunt wildlife with any weapon, except that:
(4) Weapons for hunting small game shall be limited to shotguns with shot shell size of no greater than 3 1/2 inches in length with No. 2 lead shot or smaller or federally approved nontoxic shot size of F or smaller shot, .22 caliber or smaller rimfire firearms, air rifles, muzzleloading firearms, longbows, recurve bows, crossbows, and compound bows; provided, however, that nothing contained in this paragraph shall permit the taking of protected species;

Thats gotta take skill, Shooting a squirrell with a BOW, Forget that, Use a 12 guage slug from a big 3 1/2 magnum......... I usually shoot em with my bb gun.
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 3:45:17 AM EDT
[#30]
Link Posted: 9/20/2005 9:09:59 AM EDT
[#31]
If you really want to get rid of em' and be within the law get a 22mag and some CCI TNT ammo. I shot a rabbit with a TNT and it literaly vaporized his head, at least I couldn't find it afterwards.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top