Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/3/2012 8:00:32 AM EDT
Tony at 400 J and L turned me on to the new Leupold Patrol VX-R 1.25X4 illuminated scope. I picked one up last week and it is awesome.  It is under $550 and has excellent clarity and the firedot illumination is just like my Aimpoint H-1.   The illumination goes into hibernate when the gun is left motionless for a few minutes, and as soon as you move, the illumination goes right back on.  This is great for a home defense gun.  You can also turn off the illumination as well.

I looked at Nightforce, and their 1-4 is awesome, but nearly three times the price.  So I went with the Leupold.

Anyone else have the Patrol model?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 8:49:51 AM EDT
[#1]
That looks pretty sweet!

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:09:52 AM EDT
[#2]
I have the same on my LMT 308 rifle. I love it. Very clear and the red dot is perfect for close in fast shooting.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:18:41 AM EDT
[#3]
I might have to check that out, did you get a larue mount to go along with it?

Need a pic with it mounted.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 11:23:53 AM EDT
[#4]
I did get the LaRue mount for it, and it looks great.  I will try to get some pics of it mounted when I can for you.

Quoted:
I might have to check that out, did you get a larue mount to go along with it?

Need a pic with it mounted.

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 5:52:10 PM EDT
[#5]
I have one of the millet dms 1-4x and would love to see how it compares to this.  Mine was under $200 and I am sure not nearly as good as this one but I liked  the idea of 1-4.  I am curious if these are worth 2.5x the quality. The only things I don't like is that you are still looking through a tube so not as fast as a red dot, and with only 4x there isn't enough magnification for any precision shooting.

What reticle is that? Mildot? Trying to figure out what the markings are for.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:05:55 PM EDT
[#6]
I have been looking at this and the Vortex Viper PST.

I like the idea of the illumination going off until it feels motion.

The DMS-1 seems like a good option for a bit cheaper. I think they all have a lifetime warranty. The motion illumination is cool, but not sure if it is worth the extra (almost) $300. I am sure the overall quality is better with the Leupold too. I would like to hear about the Vortex.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:11:05 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

The DMS-1 seems like a good option for a bit cheaper. I think they all have a lifetime warranty. The motion illumination is cool, but not sure if it is worth the extra (almost) $300. I am sure the overall quality is better with the Leupold too. I would like to hear about the Vortex.

I have a PST and it has something wrong with the electronics and burns through batteries while off....Sending it in. The PST glass is awesome and the zero stop shims are cool. I haven't looked through a 1.25x but that sounds like a compromise compared to true 1x
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:15:13 PM EDT
[#8]
I'm patiently waiting [for the funds] for a 1-4x for my 1:8 SS Wylde build.  I've been looking at the Millett and the Bushnell.  I may have to wait a bit longer for this one.  I like the full crosshair as opposed to the bottom-half, or whatever the technical term is.  I like the motion activated illumination that others have mentioned, as well.  Are quick-throw levers for the magnification available for this model?

Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:20:38 PM EDT
[#9]
Ya'll might want look on the Brian Enos forum for many, many reviews and discussions of 1x4 optics. It is skewed toward 3 gun but lots of interesting discussion. I like the scope posted by the OP - very nice.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:26:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I'm patiently waiting [for the funds] for a 1-4x for my 1:8 SS Wylde build.  I've been looking at the Millett and the Bushnell.  I may have to wait a bit longer for this one.  I like the full crosshair as opposed to the bottom-half, or whatever the technical term is.  I like the motion activated illumination that others have mentioned, as well.  Are quick-throw levers for the magnification available for this model?

That is the exact build I have my 1-4x on.

I would love for all these different scope to come to creekside one weekend to try them out.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:29:14 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have a PST and it has something wrong with the electronics and burns through batteries while off....Sending it in. The PST glass is awesome and the zero stop shims are cool. I haven't looked through a 1.25x but that sounds like a compromise compared to true 1x

Their warranty claims to be the best in the biz.
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 6:36:01 PM EDT
[#12]
Covert,

Is the Leupold Patrol model the only one with the motion detector and not their other 1-4x models?
Link Posted: 1/3/2012 7:40:00 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their warranty sure gets used a lot.  
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:17:59 AM EDT
[#14]
That's a great scope, but I'd need more magnification for distance.  I use a "regular" red dot for less-precise, closer-in shooting.  Seems to me that'd be a great deer-hunting scope.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:40:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Their warranty sure gets used a lot.  

You could say the same about nearly any scope company. Scopes are complicated and have a pretty high failure rate compared to other devices. It may be 1 out  of 1000 on a NF or S&B, but its still much higher than what you would expect from other electronics or consumer optics.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:06:34 AM EDT
[#16]
Nice scope. I looked into this but could not determine if it is primarily for the 5.56 or would work on a 308 also. Anyone know?
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:11:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I bought this scope knowing that I won't be shooting over 100 yards 95% of the time.   a 1.25-4 power scope is perfect for that range.  If I were doing precision shooting, then I would look at a 10X or higher scope on the top end of magnification.  

The cost of the Leupold Patrol VX-R was much less expensive than using an Aimpoint and a 3X magnifer with a flip to side mount.  That would cost over $1200.

I know there are better scopes out there, but I don't have enough money or need to go ultra high end and buy a $1300-4,000 scope for a little more clarity and a little more magnification.

Just thought I would show you the scope since the Patrol version is fairly new.  I am not sure how it compares with others in its price range, but I am very happy with the quality and clarity of the scope.  I have never had an issue with any Leupolds I have owned in the past, and if this one works out, I will get a few  more.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 6:31:17 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I bought this scope knowing that I won't be shooting over 100 yards 95% of the time.   a 1.25-4 power scope is perfect for that range.  If I were doing precision shooting, then I would look at a 10X or higher scope on the top end of magnification.  

don't sell 4x too short!  at the last home town shoot, at ScottV's range, I was hitting man sized steel targets at 300 yards. and that's pretty impressive considering I am a terrible shot!

I would still like to compare this one to the millet.  I do like this reticle much better than that millet.  but do you have any idea what those graduations on the reticle are?  it looks like you have the HOG model according to leupold's website but it still doesn't say what they are for!!!
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 7:13:15 AM EDT
[#19]
I actually have the SPR reticle in mine that looks very similar, but has vertical and horizontal hash marks that correspond to mils.  It is meant for M855, but I don't shoot that ammo very often.  Most of what I shoot is 77 grain Black Hills through my rilfes to keep them sighted in for home defense loads.  

I didn't realize the picture I posted was a little different until you mentioned the Hog reticle.  

This is what it looks like.

Quoted:
Quoted:

don't sell 4x too short!  at the last home town shoot, at ScottV's range, I was hitting man sized steel targets at 300 yards. and that's pretty impressive considering I am a terrible shot!

I would still like to compare this one to the millet.  I do like this reticle much better than that millet.  but do you have any idea what those graduations on the reticle are?  it looks like you have the HOG model according to leupold's website but it still doesn't say what they are for!!!

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 8:15:04 AM EDT
[#20]
Interesting.......any idea what the difference on the 62 vs 77 would make as far as the marks?  I would love to find a reticle that matches the heavier bullets.
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 4:52:13 PM EDT
[#21]
Here are the pics that I promised.  Notice on the left side of the scope, around the L on the windage cap, that is a fiber optic window that allows illumination during the day without using your batteries.  Similar to an ACOG, but without the giant fiber optic on the top like they use.

Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#22]
I don't see the fiber part......
Link Posted: 1/4/2012 5:22:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Its the gray ring around the gold L on the side objective.  That is what I read in a review and it seems to pick up light without turning it on.   Hopefully the review wasn't BS, but you never know sometimes.

Quoted:
I don't see the fiber part......

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:12:04 PM EDT
[#24]
What was the price of the package (scope & mount)?

I have been looking at the Patrol, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It appears to be a poor-mans Mark 4 (30mm, SPR reticule, and illumination - all rolled into one). Please go to the range and then post a review!

Thanks,
Accountant
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 4:48:35 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, I don't understand this idea that you need to be zoomed all up in somethings shit to hit it. The last time I was able to shoot long distance was down in Florida about 2-3 years ago. We were shooting 700 yards and hitting 4 feet wide by 4 feet tall targets with a leupold mark 4 1.5-5x on an 18" stealth upper. Granted everything had to be dialed in and considering the fact that I hadn't had much experience shooting out that far I was pretty impressed.
Link Posted: 1/5/2012 6:10:15 PM EDT
[#26]
The package price for the scope and mount was somewhere around $750-770.  The scope is $549 and mount was a hair over $200 or so.  

Looks like some people read my original post and made a mad rush on the scopes.  They had 12 of them when I got mine, and now they are all gone as of today.   They are trying to find more to restock.

Quoted:
What was the price of the package (scope & mount)?

I have been looking at the Patrol, but I haven't pulled the trigger yet. It appears to be a poor-mans Mark 4 (30mm, SPR reticule, and illumination - all rolled into one). Please go to the range and then post a review!

Thanks,
Accountant

Link Posted: 1/5/2012 10:22:54 PM EDT
[#27]
I bought 2 up there last week. I think they are a great scope, and a no brainer over a red dot if you want a little magnification. The brightness can be dialed up or down seven different settings.
Link Posted: 1/6/2012 6:50:51 AM EDT
[#28]
Do they make it in a 1x?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top