Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 10/4/2009 3:32:14 PM EST
Suggestions from a local? Doesn't need to be anything extravagant, but I don't want a dive either. Just a decent sit down place.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 4:14:08 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2009 4:14:31 PM EST by WIDeerHunter]
Not a local but I'm there 6 times a year.
I really like Ravina Bay . It's across the bay from the Tommy Bartlet water ski show.
Moosejaw Brewing Company is also pretty good. Make sure you get one of their beer sampler platters.
Plus there's always the old favorite Paul Bunyan's!!!
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 4:24:13 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/4/2009 4:24:34 PM EST by ArmedPete]
I have to go with MooseJaw, they make good pizza and great beer!

AP
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 6:13:32 PM EST
Try the High Rock Cafe. Small place. Nice quiet atmosphere. Great food at reasonable prices. Most of the places in the Dells are your basic resort town stop 'n slop, but the High Rock is a quality joint.
Link Posted: 10/4/2009 9:08:22 PM EST
The pizza join across from Noah's Ark has great pizza. Was just there a couple weeks ago. Moosejaw is also great, but make a reservation if you can. We tried to go there first and it was a 1 hour wait.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 1:28:08 AM EST
Not a local, but the Port Vista Inn on Lake Dalton has decent food. They have the 32 oz steak special for like $14.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 2:47:18 PM EST
Monk's on the Wilderness Property is GREAT!!!!
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 3:34:19 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2009 3:35:11 PM EST by glenn_r]
Originally Posted By WING25C:
Monk's on the Wilderness Property is GREAT!!!!

This, without the smoke in the original downtown location. Good burgers.

If you want fancy and great but expensive, the Del Bar wins hands-down.

Ginza's has sushi. It's probably the best you'll find until you get to Madison.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:14:28 PM EST
Monks and Moosejaw....can't go wrong
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 4:37:54 PM EST
Originally Posted By 71mach103:
Monks and Moosejaw....can't go wrong

I'll agree with Monks, decent prices for the area and really good food.
Link Posted: 10/5/2009 6:12:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/5/2009 6:14:10 PM EST by divkat9]
Originally Posted By ArmedPete:

AP

Another vote for MooseJaw! Go hang out in the basement and have a couple beers while you're waiting for your table.

ETA- if you have kids turn 'em loose in the basement with a couple dollars worth of quarters for the video games and then you and the Mrs. can relax while waiting.
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 10:52:29 AM EST
not in the dells, east of the dells about 4 miles or so on Hwy127 is Cimarollis, very good. I do live in the area. W11793 State Road 127
Portage, WI 53901
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 3:59:08 PM EST
Ok it looks like they remodeled since we were there but the country keg has the best breakfast ever.
We found it on accident about 4 yrs ago on vacation. I was way hungover our first morning in the dells and the wife had a coupon for this place.

We pull up very early in the morning and my exact words were" I am not taking my kids into a dive bar!!!!!" but after driving around for a hour trying to find someplace else I relented

OMG we had breakfast there the whole week.Fantastic food and Big portions at a really fair price.
I spent a good amout of time talking to the lady that runs the place. Really good folks

Were planning a trip for this Jan. and I really am looking forward to eating there again
http://www.countrykeg.com/
Link Posted: 10/9/2009 8:55:04 PM EST
A second vote for Cimorellis. Unbelievable steaks, the best I've ever had bar none. And not that bad of prices either. The other place I like is Rivers Edge on HWY A.
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 7:29:51 AM EST
+1 on the moosejaw!
go for the Capone samich!!
Link Posted: 10/11/2009 9:53:44 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/11/2009 10:10:37 PM EST by superlazy]
Not hijacking but!!!!
It may help ya
http://www.sundaraspa.com/services/massage.html

Anybdy done it?

I am not a wealthy guy but am really thinking about this...
Kids are old enough now so I trust the them to stay in the room for a few hours.
Is it worth the cash?
Just a massage

My girls even said "Dad you deserve it just do it, take mom and enjoy yourselves."
They think money grows on trees

My thing is for the 2 of us its more than a case of ammo

Oh Just my opinion but mooseJaw is not that great
Over priced, Beer is pretty good.
Nothing special about the over priced food

Link Posted: 10/12/2009 3:32:06 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/12/2009 3:32:25 AM EST by glenn_r]
Junior gave my wife the Kalahari spa treatment. I have no comparisons to make, but my wife was happy.

I've eaten at the Moosejaw. It's OK, but the lines tend to be long in the summer, and the food isn't great (certainly not bad, though). I can't speak intelligently about the beer.
Link Posted: 10/15/2009 5:30:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/17/2009 4:54:57 AM EST by MarineGrunt]
I grew up in the Dells...

For the grill... Monks at the Wilderness and Moosejaw (more tour-isty). I am a regular at the Sand Bar when I'm in town. I miss the old place...
For formal Dining... Field's at the Wilderness or Del Bar. I also highly recommend the Ishnala (edited because I got the name mixed up). Have several drinks at the bar, enjoy the view, go eat. Great steaks there.

The High Rock Cafe is still there, but it is renovated and under new ownership. A friend of our family runs the place and to food is VERY good there. Great place for lunch.

If you want a bar fight, go to Nig's. At least you get to walk away with a t-shirt that says, "I had a Swig with Nig." Seriously.

If you get a chance, go see "The Swing Crew." They are a local band that does a lot of Buffett-type covers, etc... They played at my wedding and are an awesome time!!! www.swingcrew.com They usually play at Mama's, downtown.

If you want one place to stay that has it all, either the Kalahari or Chula Vista. If you can afford it, Kalahari is probably the better option. More stuff to do.
Link Posted: 10/16/2009 8:05:18 PM EST
[Last Edit: 10/16/2009 8:05:49 PM EST by Reloading]
Get a Swig at Nigs. (For Real) No Obama need enter.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 10:21:36 AM EST
Stay the F away from the Cheese Factory.

Girlfriend thought it looked like a nice place to try. It's a vegetarian place. Boy did i get strange looks..had on my Cabelas shirt and Bass Pro hat.
Link Posted: 11/3/2009 5:34:15 PM EST
Originally Posted By ArmedPete:

AP

They also have a nice rack of ribs....and great beer!

Top Top