Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/22/2008 3:57:01 AM EDT
I don't know anything about car audio and I need a good, knowledgeable (cringe) salesman to walk me through my options.  In my youth I skipped over this lesson    

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:43:13 AM EDT
[#1]
I know some thieves that could hook you up on a deal for some 12's, 1000 watt amp, and a clean pioneer for 100 bucks... Slightly used ;).
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 6:35:29 AM EDT
[#2]

Quoted:
I know some thieves that could hook you up on a deal for some 12's, 1000 watt amp, and a clean pioneer for 100 bucks... Slightly used ;).

Shoot me an IM

No, actually I don't want a bumpin' ghetto blaster.  Just a good all around system.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:15:31 AM EDT
[#3]
Can you install it yourself?  If so, I know some online vendors that are one helluva lot cheaper than a store.  I might be able to give some suggestions, but I'd need more info.

What type of car?  Some cars are more of a pain than others in regards to what fits.  Does the car have a premium factory radio like Bose or Infinity?  Or steering wheel volume controls?

Budget?

What types of features matter to you? i.e. Ipod Control, listen to MP3s on a USB drive

Music preference?  (please God, don't let him say Tejano)

Do you want/need separate amplifiers?  (If you drive highway with the windows down, you might NEED them.  If you drive in the city with the windows down, nobody else WANTS you to have them.)  

FWIW, I'm not a salesman, just a guy who did this stuff in his youth.  I also hated talking to car audio stores, I never could find anyone knowledgeable so I just had them pull the manual from the demo model.  Most of the time, they are pushing what they have too many of in the back room.  The one good thing about the stores is you can go and actually see the radio itself and determine if the thing is user friendly.  

Last thing... any brand preference?  It may sound silly, but some folks won't buy a particular brand based on past experiences or word-of-mouth.

I'm not in Dallas, so I can't help with the install, but I might be able to help you find better prices on what you need.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:31:41 AM EDT
[#4]
Dallas has some expansive flea markets. Avoid overly warm products...
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 11:33:15 AM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
Can you install it yourself?  If so, I know some online vendors that are one helluva lot cheaper than a store.  I might be able to give some suggestions, but I'd need more info.

What type of car?  Some cars are more of a pain than others in regards to what fits.  Does the car have a premium factory radio like Bose or Infinity?  Or steering wheel volume controls?

Budget?

What types of features matter to you? i.e. Ipod Control, listen to MP3s on a USB drive

Music preference?  (please God, don't let him say Tejano)

Do you want/need separate amplifiers?  (If you drive highway with the windows down, you might NEED them.  If you drive in the city with the windows down, nobody else WANTS you to have them.)  

FWIW, I'm not a salesman, just a guy who did this stuff in his youth.  I also hated talking to car audio stores, I never could find anyone knowledgeable so I just had them pull the manual from the demo model.  Most of the time, they are pushing what they have too many of in the back room.  The one good thing about the stores is you can go and actually see the radio itself and determine if the thing is user friendly.  

Last thing... any brand preference?  It may sound silly, but some folks won't buy a particular brand based on past experiences or word-of-mouth.

I'm not in Dallas, so I can't help with the install, but I might be able to help you find better prices on what you need.

Thanks man.  I could use any advice you have.

I'm pretty confident I can install.

It's a '99 Suburban K2500.  No steering wheel volume, no premium anything...equipped with 4 factory speakers.

I'm thinking around $500 (I already have a 12" Kicker Competition sub in a box)

The most important thing is MP3 compatibility/flexibility.  I don't own an iPOD and would like to use a Flash Drive (b/c it's cheaper and I don't have any other use for the iPOD).  I like the Alpine iDA-XXXX head units but I'm told they aren't good with flash drives because the unit can't read the song titles from a flash drive.  TRACK 01, TRACK 02,......TRACK 900, TRACK 901, etc.  I'm not too confident in the source of this info, btw.  

Also, simplicity is important.  Fewer, larger knobs and buttons.  No flip/tilt faces in my ride.

I don't know what I need as far as amplifiers.  Windows down on the FWY? Not too often, but - windows down, 50' from the truck working on something, all the time.

I listen to just about anything but tejano.  It has to sound good with minimal adjustment between music types.

No brand preferences here.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 12:25:09 PM EDT
[#6]
Do you have an Amp to push the subwoofer?

$500.00 sounds low.
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 1:41:43 PM EDT
[#7]
Check out Cruthfield.  You can get all the info you need there.

www.crutchfield.com/
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#8]
That sounds workable, a little low on the budget but workable.

I need a bit more information on the sub.  Do you know if it 4 ohm impedance or 8 ohm impedance?  Is it a Dual Voice Coil?  And what is the power handling on it?  Kicker makes a lot of different subwoofers, and any info you can get on it will help determine which amplifier you might need to run.  

Worst case if you don't have model numbers, pull the sub from the box and snap a picture of the magnet, and the cone.  Usually the model number is on a decal on the magnet.  And the cone will help determine the model as well.  Take it from someone who has overpowered some subs, too many watts will melt voive colis and your subwoofer will seize up.  It impresses friends, but it sucks to replace.  

I looked at that same head unit.  There are a couple of things to consider if you are going to use that type of head unit.  

If you don't care for CDs, you're golden.  
If you only want to run an amp for the suboofer, you can get the cheaper model (ida-x300) for 150 shipped from Crutchfield including your install gear and instructions.  It will only allow you to hook up one amp for the subwoofer.  
By the way, it will read Text info from the USB drives, it only shows track01 if you don't have ID tags on your MP3s that are compatible.

One of the strongest recommendations I make is run component speakers in the front doors.  They cost a little more, but it makes a world of difference in how all your music sounds.  Infinity has Reference series models that fit your Suburban, and traditional speakers that fit your rear doors.  I found both sets for 180 total plus shipping.

If you're going to just run an amp on the sub and it doesn't need a ton of power, I can probably keep you under budget.

However you mentioned working on stuff away from the vehicle, so you might want to consider an amp for all of your speakers.  Again, if the sub doesn't need a ton of watts, I can get an amp that will run the sub and all the speakers for you, but you'd be closer to 600 including a wiring kit.

Just out of curiosity, does that Suburban have the second battery mounting location under the hood?

Link Posted: 7/22/2008 5:36:54 PM EDT
[#9]
Budget can be more, or less $500.  I just don't want it to turn into $1000

I'm done with CD's.

4 ohm, dual voice coil, 300 rms.

I did a little looking at radios today, and I think I want to stick with that Alpine.  Bonus if I don't need to buy an iPOD and Flash Drives work.

FYI - This 'burban has 2 front door speakers, and 2 overhead speakers (maybe 4x10?) in the cargo area.  No speakers in the rear , or barn doors.  It also has dual battery trays, but it's only wired for one battery.

It looks like the front door speakers are mounted to the interior door panel, and not the door itself.  How will the components mount?  Custom?  

ETA: Thanks again for the help!!!
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 7:29:23 PM EDT
[#10]
Figure on $1000 for a good head unit and amp w/ crossover.

I would recocmend the IPOD.  

Its the best thing since Rails for your AR15, FNFAL, AUG, HK, MASADA, SCAR . . .  what am I saying . .
Link Posted: 7/22/2008 9:46:52 PM EDT
[#11]
I just installed (I'm MECP certified BTW) all ALPINE products in my Jeep...........OMG it's beautiful sound.

CDA-9885 head unit

SPS-600C front component speakers

SPS-600 rear component speakers

MRP-F250 4-channel amp to run the front and rear speakers......40 watts RMS per channel

SWR-1242D Type-R 12" subwoofer (4ohm Dual voice coils)....ran wiring in parallel to achieve a stable 2ohm load, 500 watts RMS

MRP-M500 Mono amp to power subwoofer......500 watts RMS at 2ohms

KCE-422i  full-speed Ipod cable

Not purchased yet, but will in the near future........

TUA-T500HD HD Radio tuner

If you need some help or tips for installing the equipment, IM me and I will give you my phone number. Don't spend tons of money on install fee's...........when we can do it for beer....
Link Posted: 7/23/2008 2:29:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Thanks for the offer...I may have to take you up on it.  It seems like it can't be that difficult, but I'll admit I'm a menace when it comes to wiring
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top