Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/21/2005 7:30:46 PM EDT
I'm heading to Austin tomorrow for Christmas with my girlfriend's family.

What is the gun store to visit in Austin?

I also need some Nomex flight gloves.  Is there a good surplus store in Austin?

Thanks and Merry Christams!!
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:00:32 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
I'm heading to Austin tomorrow for Christmas with my girlfriend's family.

What is the gun store to visit in Austin?

I also need some Nomex flight gloves.  Is there a good surplus store in Austin?

Thanks and Merry Christams!!

There's gun stores in Austin?????
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:04:15 PM EDT
[#2]
The best Black Rifle gun store is probably "The Gun Store" in Cedar Park. Lot's of cool stuff....prices a little high for me.

There are two surplus stores close to each other close to the UT campus. One is called "Banana Bay Trading Company" and the other is called "The Quonset Hut". Both are off of 29th street.....Banana Bay is @ 29th and Lamar and The Quonset Hut is @ 29th and Guadalupe. Bnana Bay has a website.....just Google it.

Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:19:54 PM EDT
[#3]
Here are a few.
Cabela's  (technically not in Austin) but close to it.
Mc Brides - Lamar Blvd
Reds Shooting Range
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 8:44:14 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Here are a few.
Cabela's  (technically not in Austin) but close to it.
Mc Brides - Lamar Blvd
Reds Shooting Range

Yeah, I forgot about Cabela's.

I don't mean to step on any toes, but the people at McBride's have been rude to me every time I've been there. If this isn' the case for others then that's great....I'm just sharng my personal view. And this is based off of probably 9-10 trips there over the past year or so.......not just once. They have a perfect record of being rude to me thus far.

Red's has a decent selection but you're lucky if they have more than one AR at any given time.

Just adding my $0.02
Link Posted: 12/21/2005 10:54:32 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
The best Black Rifle gun store is probably "The Gun Store" in Cedar Park. Lot's of cool stuff....prices a little high for me.

There are two surplus stores close to each other close to the UT campus. One is called "Banana Bay Trading Company" and the other is called "The Quonset Hut". Both are off of 29th street.....Banana Bay is @ 29th and Lamar and The Quonset Hut is @ 29th and Guadalupe. Bnana Bay has a website.....just Google it.

EXCELLENT, my GF just moved to Cedar Park....will def check it out.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 4:41:59 AM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:11:34 AM EDT
[#7]
my experiences over the last 10 years or so mirror LonghornAR15's with respect to McBride's.  Some neat stuff there, but unless I can't find what I'm looking for any place else they won't get my business.  They're often just plain rude, and act like they're doing you a favor to take your money (prices are way high on a lot of stuff too).  You're likely to get a snowjob worthy of a used car salesman to justify their prices as well.

The guys at Cedar Park have been nice every time I've been in there (admittedly only a couple of times), and always want to talk about AR-type stuff.

And military surplus places are just plain fun.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:21:55 AM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:25:26 AM EDT
[#9]
Folks usually do not get a good welcome at McBride's right off the bat, they sell to the upper crust most times and don't really serve guys dropping "only" 800$ or so.  I've bought around 30 guns from them over the years (including a HK93. They dropped the price to 725$).  It helps if you visit with the owner once in a while.

To add to the list,

Try Sportsman's Warehouse in  Round Rock.  Gun prices are pretty much average , but they have tons of gear.  As well, there are TWO Red's indoor ranges.  One off of hwy 290 in South Austin and one in Pflugerville.  
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 5:28:48 AM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:19:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Sportsmen's Finest on Beecaves is pretty damn nice as well.  I think they have a bigger selection of black rifles than anyone else in Austin.  They are a hell of a lot friendlier than McBrides too....

Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:21:14 AM EDT
[#12]
Oh and if you are in the Cedar Park area there is a gun store at Anderson Mill Road and 183 in the shopping center in front of the roller rink there....Heritage Firearms I believe.
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 10:03:23 AM EDT
[#13]
Just got back from Sportsmens Finest....don't have as man AR's as they used to, but there are still a couple.  That .50 Beowulf still looks fun....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:23:20 AM EDT
[#14]
Sportsman's Finest still has a 22-250 I lust after.

They're a lot less snobbish than McBride's too....
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 11:59:39 AM EDT
[#15]
I like the M60 and the 1919 A4 they have sitting there for all to play with and drool over....wish I had $47K.  :)
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 1:28:16 PM EDT
[#16]
That would be a definent +1 for the gun store in cedar park
Link Posted: 12/22/2005 6:08:26 PM EDT
[#17]
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 8:03:43 AM EDT
[#18]
I dig Sportsman's Warehouse in Round Rock (1325 @ IH35).  I've bought a couple guns there and had a good experience.  They have a ton of reloading stuff, and ammo, and all kinds of other accessories.  Plus it's about 1.5 miles from where I live...

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:20:26 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:
I dig Sportsman's Warehouse in Round Rock (1325 @ IH35).  I've bought a couple guns there and had a good experience.  They have a ton of reloading stuff, and ammo, and all kinds of other accessories.  Plus it's about 1.5 miles from where I live...

So what did you buy?  I regularly load up on the fishing stuff and ammo, but  i didn't think the gun prices were all that good.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 10:35:23 AM EDT
[#20]
John,  I went on a prairie dog hunt back in August, so I picked up a Marlin 917VS and a Taurus .22lr revolver.   Nice little rifle.  Accurate as hell.  Anything within ~120yards was dead just by putting the crosshair on them.  

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 4:46:14 PM EDT
[#21]
The Guin Store LLC in Cedar park has the cool toys.
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 5:12:09 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:

So what did you buy?  I regularly load up on the fishing stuff and ammo, but  i didn't think the gun prices were all that good.

HODGES???????
Link Posted: 12/23/2005 9:24:42 PM EDT
[#23]
it depends on what you are looking for.

for EBR's go say hello to David Cheung at the Gun Store in Cedar Park on Buttercup Creek and 183.  tell him Steve O. wants to know if he still has that pimp gun (.50 AE Desert Eagle in gold).

that is kinda north.  my other buddy Charles Dorrance over at Sportsman's Finest has some C3 stuff as well.  more of a hunting/fishing "lodge" type store, he is very high end.  he is the owner and has a bigger bankroll than any other gun store owner in Central Texas.  if you don't believe me, go look at all the cans of Campbell's soup in the grocery stores.  yes.  that's right.  that's his.

you can check out Sportsman's Warehouse in Round Rock or Cabela's in Buda as well.  both are megastores.  for C3 i'd go to either David's or Charles' place.  both have C3.

im a small fry guy in Austin.....do stuff by appt only and have a gun show presence.  my office is in N. Austin.

Link Posted: 12/23/2005 11:28:19 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:
im a small fry guy in Austin.....do stuff by appt only and have a gun show presence.  my office is in N. Austin.

Service counts
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 8:56:11 AM EDT
[#25]
I have to mirror what folks are saying about McBrides.  I have been going there for 20+ years and have bought real nice guns there and they still are rude.  I have recently started going to SW in Round Rock.  They were $40 cheaper than Academy on an XD and had several in stock where Academy had zero.  Large retailers ( Cabelas, SW) will eventually put McBrides out of business.  I have seen long-time businesses close up shop because of lower prices.  Piss-poor as the economy is in this area, people are not going to pay outrageous prices and deal with rude people.

Just my .02
Link Posted: 12/24/2005 9:07:29 AM EDT
[#26]
thank you Mr. Professor Evil

next time we need to go INTO hooters not just outside!  
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top