Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 2/16/2006 2:53:59 PM EDT
Anybody know a good big gun store on Long Island? Looking for someplace that sells lots of surplus and/or cheap bulk ammo. Something like when there was Burns Brothers. Im returning to Long Island after being away for 3 years. Damm, wish Burns Bros was still there, anybody know of another good place?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 3:40:44 PM EDT
[#1]
anybody???
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:13:53 PM EDT
[#2]
Burns Brothers moved to a hole in the wall and then closed up.

You might try Hunter Sports in Merrick or Chesters in Farmingville.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:23:47 PM EDT
[#3]
Chesters is in Ronkonkoma now...  and I don't think it qualifies.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:24:33 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Burns Brothers moved to a hole in the wall and then closed up.

You might try Hunter Sports in Merrick or Chesters in Farmingville.

Where in Farmingville is Chesters?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:27:18 PM EDT
[#5]
Hunter Sports moved a year or two ago to Massapequa.  Sunrise Highway, just east of Tackapausha Preserve and west of the Massapequa post office.
I prefer T and T in Seaford, but many on this board disparage the place.   To each his own.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 4:36:39 PM EDT
[#6]
I didn't know Chesters moved, or maybe my memory is fuzzy.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:37:27 PM EDT
[#7]
Burns bros was forced to close due to non renewal of license from ATF.  So I was told.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 5:55:55 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I didn't know Chesters moved, or maybe my memory is fuzzy.

Does this Chesters Sports and Hunters carry surplus ammo? Like radway, SA, and others? Also where exactly is Chesters located?
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 6:32:26 PM EDT
[#9]
When Hunter was still in Merrick, about 3 years ago, I bought Lake City brown box for 4 bucks a box.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:42:09 PM EDT
[#10]
Chesters has moved three times since he's been open.  I know he has SOME surplus ammo, from what I recall, mostly foreign stuff in  
less common calibers.  I've never paid any mind to what he did or didn't have in .223 , /308 and the like.

Has anyone been to Suffolk Ammunition lately?  I've BEEN there a handful of times, but never when they were open.
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 7:44:59 PM EDT
[#11]
Hunter Sports is now in Massapequa. on Sunrise Highway about 2 miles East of Rt135...

T&T is on Merrick. Price wise they are close but I think T&T has more surplus.

I need to get 500 rounds of 175grn 308 Black Hills...I feel my Anus getting jammed already....
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:30:33 PM EDT
[#12]
+1 on Hunter Sports.  You can also try American Outdoor Sports on Rout 110 just about 2-3 miles north of the southern state on the left side.  There open till 9:00 p.m. on weekdays.  Here's there number...  (631) 249-1832    
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:46:46 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:
+1 on Hunter Sports.  You can also try never fucking go to American Outdoor Sports on Rout 110 just about 2-3 miles north of the southern state on the left side.  There open till 9:00 p.m. on weekdays.  Here's there number...  (631) 249-1832    

fixed it for ya
Link Posted: 2/19/2006 9:55:34 PM EDT
[#14]
I never had a problem there what happened with you?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:02:01 AM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:20:24 AM EDT
[#16]
When Burns Brothers (I think they went by a different name) was doing gun shows, they always had this real shady looking character working the tables.  The only thing I ever bought from them was an Oly lower cause the price was right.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 4:33:14 AM EDT
[#17]
Regarding American Outdoors, and to quote my mild-mannered friend:

The salespeople there look at you like you spit in their hair !

That is, if any one of them will stop talking to their seemingly unemployed friends whether in
the store or on the phone, maybe then they will look at you like you spit in their hair !
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:35:40 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Burns bros was forced to close due to non renewal of license from ATF.  So I was told.

It was worse than that...ATF crackdown dut to some really shitty and shady  paperwork. They're done.

No big loss.  After the move they were pretty much worthless.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 5:37:33 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

That is, if any one of them will stop talking to their seemingly unemployed friends whether in
the store or on the phone, maybe then they will look at you like you spit in their hair !

I had been to American Outdoors, twice. Both times they pissed me off. First time I couldnt get anybody to help, despite standing in front of a guy on an apparent personal call for 5 minutes. When he finally got off the phone I had to ask for help as he started to walk away. then got nothing but attitude.

The next time I went there with my Poly AK to get a quote for what they would buy it for. the guy at the counter didnt even look at at and said with an attitude $300. I said dont insult my intelligence, its a $900 gun, and I was already offered $600 wholesale at Burns Bros and walked out.

Nothing but attitude there. But for some strange reason that is usually the case at every big gun store. Remember Edelmans?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 6:56:38 AM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:
Where in Farmingville is Chesters?

jaymeister99 Chester's moved to its current location on Ronko Ave just south of the LIE about 3 years ago.

Chester's it the closest gun shop to me.  Chester is a bit of a nitwit sometimes; depends on his mood.  He sometimes has surplus stuff.  Always has cheap Wolf ammo.  Usually has a good selection of black rifles at good prices.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 8:10:22 AM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:
+1 on Hunter Sports.  You can also try American Outdoor Sports on Rout 110 just about 2-3 miles north of the southern state on the left side.  There open till 9:00 p.m. on weekdays.  Here's there number...  (631) 249-1832    

Is that the same store , just north of route 25 (I think), right across from the Taco Bell called Campfire Sports, or something like that? It might be in Huntington?
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:48:45 AM EDT
[#22]
Yeah it's in Huntington.  You guys are right about there attitude.  Everything you mentioned I have had the same problem there.  Only reason why I got there is because it's on the range to where I shoot so on the way I will go to pick up ammo or whatever I might need.  But your right they do insult everyones inteligence and have BIG attitude problems.  But I found that alot of gun stores have problems like that, even in Florida.  I just ignore them.
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 11:56:39 AM EDT
[#23]
Fishpaw,
No the store in Huntington, also on the west side of Route 110 is Campsite something or other, and definitely should NOT be confused with the SOBs in American Outdoors,  south of Farmingdale University and in either Melville or Farmingdale.  I will never return to American Outdoors and would rather run out of ammo at the range (yeah, like that might ever happen) than buy anything there.  Listen to Jaymeister99 on this!!!
Link Posted: 2/20/2006 3:56:09 PM EDT
[#24]
American Outdoors also seems to REALLY like their stuff. Almost as if they don't want to sell it.

I bought ONE gun from them back in 1991 or '92. A black powder rifle.  I saw that same rifle, same model, same make in Gander Mountain (not known for being cheap) three weeks ago for the SAME price I paid 15 years ago!    Boy.. I guess they reamed me good.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:31:51 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

i think you have to be one of those groupies  for some kind of initiation to that store.  then you can work your way up to actually being worthy of some help considering you might actually want to spend some money in their establishment.    
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 6:56:43 AM EDT
[#26]
Anybody know which of these shops sell SA 308, Yugo 8mm, and/or Radway 5.56?
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on Hunter Sports.  You can also try never fucking go to American Outdoor Sports on Rout 110 just about 2-3 miles north of the southern state on the left side.  There open till 9:00 p.m. on weekdays.  Here's there number...  (631) 249-1832    hug.gif

fixed it for ya

+1 on American Outdoors. I would pay double the price on an item as long as it wasn't bought from them!
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 12:48:32 PM EDT
[#28]
Hey by the way you guys know what happened to Leslie Aidelman's gun store.   I think it used to be on smith ave by 110.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 1:54:23 PM EDT
[#29]
Leslie Edleman is the head of Kimber. I guess making them is easier than selling them.  They were in business forever. They opened another store in Centereach for a few years in the lates 80's I guess it was. That closed down, and even the original store was a shadow of it's former self.

I've always wanted to call Kimber about all the "Lifetime Guarantees" my dad bought over the years with used guns at Edelmans. Both my dad and Leslie are still alive, so....   I wonder if it would stand up in court?

As a side note...  if you've ever seen the 1983 movie "the Survivors" with Robbin Williams and Walter Matthau, the gun store scene was filmed at Edelmans.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:28:51 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
+1 on Hunter Sports.  You can also try never fucking go to American Outdoor Sports on Rout 110 just about 2-3 miles north of the southern state on the left side.  There open till 9:00 p.m. on weekdays.  Here's there number...  (631) 249-1832    

fixed it for ya

+1 on American Outdoors. I would pay double the price on an item as long as it wasn't bought from them!

Not to argue with anyone, but they were pretty nice to me.  Just by chance, I went there with the girlfriend (she's from Levittown, and we spent the day poking around LI).  Looked at a M1A with the new Vltor rail system and a DPMS .308.  We were just looking around for a place to try on some 5.11 boots (which they didn't have--in fact, their selection of boots, etc. was pretty paltry) because of a good price I saw mentioned elsewhere on Arf, so I wasn't looking to fondle any guns.  I wanted to take a quick gander at what they had, and the salesman went out of his way to see if I wanted to see anything after I said I was just browsing what they had.  One and only time in the place, but it was a good experience.  The average experience could be a lot different, YMMV.
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 5:30:16 PM EDT
[#31]
I guess I'll be the odd one in the bunch.

I've bought about 8-10 guns and and ACOG from American.  I usually deal with Jose, and I can honestly tell you that he has always treated me great!  Plus, the prices that I've gotten there on my AR10, AR10T, ACOG TA55, SAM7, 2 Bushmasters AR15's, RWS 350 Magnum .177 pellet gun, etc have BLOWN away any price I've seen on the internet.....
Link Posted: 2/21/2006 11:42:18 PM EDT
[#32]
There is Coliseum Gun Traders on  Hempstead Turnpike next to Hofstra & The Nassau Coliseum.
I bought a revolver form them last year.  I found their selection pretty good  &  prices fair.
They seemed to have quite a few M1As & ARs in stock and would order anything I wanted.

I also made a couple of  purchases at the LISC a couple of years ago, but since then I find they want to charge near list on items they don't have in stock.
They have a web site with prices listed that aren't kept up to date.
I'm not sure, but it this all may have come about since the business has changed hands.

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 10:20:52 AM EDT
[#33]
It never ceases to amaze me that the opinions vary so widely on almost every gun store on LI!

Is there one store that we can all agree on?  

I have purchased from American Outdoor and had no problem with the sales people, Jose and Bill.

I have gone into T&T (seaford) and received more attitude than help!  Sometimes, lunch orders are more important than sales orders.  

I have purchased from Coliseum Gun traders with no problems or attitude.

I have gone into Campsite Sports Huntington and left their attitude behind and kept my cash in my pocket!

Bill H.
Farmingdale

Link Posted: 2/22/2006 12:55:57 PM EDT
[#34]
Maybe its us, lol.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 2:46:24 PM EDT
[#35]
I have to vote for T & T in seford against popular vote but I have done most of my business with Hank and before him I delt with his Father Stan at T & T in Garden City. i have always been treated fair & given good prices in the last 3 years or so about 4 of us have spent a Good bit of money with them I have done business with others on L.I. but still about 95% comes from T & T
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 3:11:14 PM EDT
[#36]
Hank at T&T is an absolute gentleman.  He will take time to answer questions and does his best on fair pricing.  I have'nt bought in a while but when the urge strikes me I would go see Hank and I recommend him to all who will listen.

Mike
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 4:18:35 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:
I have to vote for T & T in seford against popular vote but I have done most of my business with Hank and before him I delt with his Father Stan at T & T in Garden City. i have always been treated fair & given good prices in the last 3 years or so about 4 of us have spent a Good bit of money with them I have done business with others on L.I. but still about 95% comes from T & T

I've done business with T&T in Garden City.  As a new shooter, Stan and Andrew were very helpful answering questions, and even offered to meet at the range to look over technique.   I don't know about their Seaford shop.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:23:52 PM EDT
[#38]
Well.....for those that dont know....Im Hank From T&T.     not trying to plug the Shop  (which I just shamelessly did) but if you want.....stop down to the store, say hello....and worst case scenario dont buy anything.   I know there are plenty of people that dont like the shop or mehange
Regardless of where you end up shopping.........Good Luck  
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 7:48:55 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:
Anybody know a good big gun store on Long Island? Looking for someplace that sells lots of surplus and/or cheap bulk ammo. Something like when there was Burns Brothers. Im returning to Long Island after being away for 3 years. Damm, wish Burns Bros was still there, anybody know of another good place?

OK, back to the original question..Where can we buy bulk ammo around here, i.e. 500/1000 round cases at reasonable prices?  I used to get all my ammo from Burns Bros before ATF shut them down but I have been forced lately to buy 20/50 round boxes from some of the shops that were mentioned and it starts to add up...I sent burns an email a couple months ago asking if they still sell ammo or have shop hours. There is a sign on the front door that says it's open on fridays but it is not. Never got a reply back.  I think the guy at Calverton range sells bulk but I doubt he has anything decent.  Anyone know? Is mail order our only option now? WTF?  

Edit: I've never been to Chesters or T&T..Any luck there? Looking for .223, .308, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39(yeah right )
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:10:58 PM EDT
[#40]

Quoted:
Well.....for those that dont know....Im Hank From T&T.     not trying to plug the Shop  (which I just shamelessly did) but if you want.....stop down to the store, say hello....and worst case scenario dont buy anything.   I know there are plenty of people that dont like the shop or me     But I am trying to do my best to change that.  

Hey Hank,

I've never had the pleasure of meeting you or shopping at your store but how about helping us ARFCOM members out with an ammo group buy? I'm sure there are dozens of us that would buy cases.  Seems like a no lose situation to me. Just something to think about. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:15:26 PM EDT
[#41]
I will see what I can do   .   Just please be patient with me.....I probly need a few days.
Link Posted: 2/22/2006 8:34:54 PM EDT
[#42]

Quoted:
Well.....for those that dont know....Im Hank From T&T.     not trying to plug the Shop  (which I just shamelessly did) but if you want.....stop down to the store, say hello....and worst case scenario dont buy anything.   I know there are plenty of people that dont like the shop or me     But I am trying to do my best to change that.  

Hank,

You don't know me by name, but all my interactions with you at T&T have always been a pleasure. Never a question you didn't go out of your way to answer......
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:02:47 AM EDT
[#43]
Here's another toast to Hank, and to the 'crotchedy' owner that has always treated my wife and I pleasantly and professionally.  Will be back to T and T soon.  (BUT NEVER BACK TO AMERICAN OUTDOORS!!)   To each his own, am quite happy in Seaford, where all but one of my gun shop purchases has been made in the last 4 years, and that was just a cheap Marlin .22.

BTW, Ultracarry, sent you another IM.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 5:59:01 AM EDT
[#44]

Quoted:
I will see what I can do   .   Just please be patient with me.....I probly need a few days.

Hank, I started this whole thread. Ive been living upstate for the last 3 years and will be returning to LI in a month or so. I live in Suffolk and used to do most of my buying at Burns Bros. But I will be working in Manhasett so I'll be sure to drop by the store on a lunchbreak. I look forward to checking out your store.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:01:53 AM EDT
[#45]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Hank,

I've never had the pleasure of meeting you or shopping at your store but how about helping us ARFCOM members out with an ammo group buy? I'm sure there are dozens of us that would buy cases.  Seems like a no lose situation to me. Just something to think about. Thanks.

Dont talk business on the threads! Use IM or the Equipment exchange. I dont mind but the moderators do. Ive seen threads get locked as soon as some business is done outside the EE.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 6:06:53 AM EDT
[#46]

Quoted:

OK, back to the original question..Where can we buy bulk ammo around here, i.e. 500/1000 round cases at reasonable prices?  I used to get all my ammo from Burns Bros before ATF shut them down but I have been forced lately to buy 20/50 round boxes from some of the shops that were mentioned and it starts to add up...I sent burns an email a couple months ago asking if they still sell ammo or have shop hours. There is a sign on the front door that says it's open on fridays but it is not. Never got a reply back.  I think the guy at Calverton range sells bulk but I doubt he has anything decent.  Anyone know? Is mail order our only option now? WTF?  

Edit: I've never been to Chesters or T&T..Any luck there? Looking for .223, .308, 7.62x39 and 5.45x39(yeah right )

Chester's has 1000 round cases of Wolf .223 all the time.  They do have surplus .223 but not all the time.  It's hit and miss on the other rounds.  I would call first unless you live by Ronko.
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:24:58 AM EDT
[#47]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Hey Hank,

Dont talk business on the threads! Use IM or the Equipment exchange. I dont mind but the moderators do. Ive seen threads get locked as soon as some business is done outside the EE.

You are not a mod and stop trying to kiss their asses. You look pathetic doing so. Nobody is discussing business.  There is nothing wrong with gauging interest in a group buy as you know from your mag thread that you tried to gauge gouge your fellow New Yorkers with.  Also, I believe we are allowed to have a group buy here if it's approved by the owners of ARFCOM, not the mods.  
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 9:30:07 AM EDT
[#48]
Thanks for the heads up JohnLINY!
Link Posted: 2/23/2006 11:52:54 AM EDT
[#49]
Im not a mod and far from kissing their asses. Actually quite the opposite, it pisses me off when they lock a thread of mine when somebody else starts writing things to piss them off. I simply dont want the thread locked.  As for my other post, yea gauging interest, read the posts on there from the moderators, they state it clearly that to gauge interest is fine, but to conduct it is not. As for guoging my fellow NYers, fi you want to discuss that then go back and post that thread about it, not this one. Or better yet go and search the EE for other refinished preban mags, somebody is selling on there right now for $17 each.

No you are not conducting business now, so calm down and have a chill pill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top