Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2006 4:28:29 PM EDT
I'm kinda in the middle of Stafford county and there doesn't seem to be any good broadband providers in that area.  It seems like the only 2 that are available are Adelphia and Cox, but they're pretty darn expensive.  I know we have some members in this area, what are you all using for hi-speed access?  Any help is appreciated.  MJD
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 5:53:17 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried Verizon DSL?  
Link Posted: 4/7/2006 10:01:13 PM EDT
[#2]
FiOS is showing up in odd places too...Verizon is a provider.

I use Cox for my broadband, but only because I pretty much have to.  I can't get DSL or FiOS where I am, or I'd ditch Cox for a high-power DSL line in a heartbeat.  Occasionally the network will refuse to sync with the modem, usually when I'm in the middle of blasting things online with old college pals, and causing all manner of grief.  That, and in order to not be charged a ridiculous setup fee (around $200) for some schmuck from Cox to come out and hook up your modem and ethernet line, you have to buy TV from them too, which keeps going up and up.

At least you have a choice between cable providers.  We're stuck with a monopoly here.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 3:52:41 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
Have you tried Verizon DSL?  

Yeah, it's not available to me.  They were the first ones I tried.  I was going to sign up for their 768K DSL.  I don't need anything super-fast as I don't use it for high-intensity gaming or anything.  I'd just like to be able to get more than 26.4K connections and <1.5Kbps downloads.  MJD
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 5:43:59 AM EDT
[#4]
I have Adelphia in Chantilly and have had no issues for three years... I'm really happy with it.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 6:19:17 AM EDT
[#5]
Guess you live past the limit for DSL from the exchange to your home.  You could try the internet connectivity through the satellite TV providers (DirecTV or Dish) but if you think Adelphia or Cox is expensive, just wait until you hear what Direct and Dish want!  EXPENSIVE!!!
Best bet is if you already have cable is go ahead and get the internet access from them also.....
sorry bout that....

edit to correct spelling....
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 9:38:27 AM EDT
[#6]
See if Cox has the value package around your area, it runs around $25 and offers 768 down / 256 up.
Link Posted: 4/8/2006 2:00:02 PM EDT
[#7]
Comcast is very bad in Prince William County.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 1:06:23 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Interesting, I'm in PWC and I've had zero issues.  Screaming fast service.  Guess it all depends on what neighborhood you're in.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:54:24 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Interesting, I'm in PWC and I've had zero issues.  Screaming fast service.  Guess it all depends on what neighborhood you're in.

+1, it runs good here on the east side.
Link Posted: 4/9/2006 2:58:24 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:

Quoted:

NW Prince William service is deplorable and so is Comcast when you attempt to rectify a problem.

If I could find a good SAT service for less than 400.00 a month.
Link Posted: 4/10/2006 4:29:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Still haven't found any good providers aside from Adelphia, but I don't want to spend >$40/month.  That's kinda crazy.  There is a small unmanned Adelphia "outpost" around the corner from my house.  I could almost hit it with a rock.  If that is the central office then I'd probably be able to download files before I could get back from the fridge.  That would be nice.  MJD
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top