Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
12/6/2019 7:27:02 PM
Posted: 3/9/2011 3:48:12 PM EST
[Last Edit: 3/9/2011 3:49:33 PM EST by Blindspooch]
Hi everyone,

I'm on the hunt for a pistol or scout scope for a Garand project I'm working on. Does anyone know of a place with a good variety? I live in central VA but have family up north and go up there often (I-95). I figure the big box stores have a better selection, but may not stock scopes for a niche market, is there a place that's better suited for this?

Thanks for the help
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 9:13:25 PM EST
The best prices and places I've found for scopes is right here on the internet. I have bought a few scopes from SWFA but there are others also.
Link Posted: 3/9/2011 10:58:51 PM EST
Originally Posted By west2746:
The best prices and places I've found for scopes is right here on the internet. I have bought a few scopes from SWFA but there are others also.

+1 on SWFA, there 110% price guarantee has gotten me even better deals at times.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:38:42 AM EST
Yea SWFA is where I've bought my last 3 scopes, but I also learned to look through them before I buy

I guess I can always use their awesome CS and as long as I don't mount it, I can exchange it. This will be my first experience with long eye-relief scopes, so I don't even know what will work best for me or my lil project.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 5:52:21 AM EST
Best prices will be on the internet. If you want to actually look at one in person I would say Bass Pro Shops. They will probably have the largest selection.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:07:49 AM EST

Gander Mountain between Roanoke and Troutville off 81 probably has the most scopes in stock that you can actually look thru in central Virginia.

But, I buy from Natchezss or SWFA too.

Link Posted: 3/10/2011 9:38:51 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/10/2011 9:39:27 AM EST by 88_Sahara]
Originally Posted By Ken_in_Va:

Gander Mountain between Roanoke and Troutville off 81 probably has the most scopes in stock that you can actually look thru in central Virginia.

A big F*$k you to Gander Mtn and all it represents. GO there and try out the scope, they have a decent selection of S&B scopes, but don't buy from them. Buy online. SWFA or opticsplanet.com FTW.
Link Posted: 3/10/2011 12:39:46 PM EST
Originally Posted By 88_Sahara:
Originally Posted By Ken_in_Va:

A big F*$k you to Gander Mtn and all it represents. GO there and try out the scope, they have a decent selection of S&B scopes, but don't buy from them. Buy online. SWFA or opticsplanet.com FTW.

+1 They have a nice display to look through, but buy somewhere else and save big bucks doing so.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:41:48 PM EST
Best variety I've seen is at Bass Pro, Gander, or Dominion Outdoors in Stuarts Draft/Waynesboro.
That said, you will save hundreds online, even for scopes with MAP pricing (which is most of the them).
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 1:59:57 PM EST
Thanks everyone for the help. I called and went to a few places and tracked down what I thought I wanted...turns out I don't know if handgun scopes are going to do it for me . I may have to go the red dot route and just reduce the maximum range I could shoot at. Them darn things are hard to see through and the eye relief is pretty tricky.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 5:40:01 PM EST
Check out Green top in Ashland?
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 6:36:08 PM EST
I usually get my scopes at Optics Planet anymore. Great prices and free shipping.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:21:21 AM EST

Originally Posted By dcfireman:
Check out Green top in Ashland?

Dang! I forgot about them!

I'll probably give them a call later in the week and go up there this weekend. I think I need to keep trying them out and being patient with 'em to get used to the eye-relief and sight picture differneces.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:13:42 PM EST
Originally Posted By VAAR:
I usually get my scopes at Optics Planet anymore. Great prices and free shipping.

I've never seen the words Optics Planet and great prices together in the same sentence.
I find their prices often high or even at MSRP. Maybe I'm looking for the wrong things. They dabble in a bit of everything.
Top Top