Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
9/19/2017 7:27:10 PM
Posted: 9/13/2010 4:12:47 PM EDT
I'll be in Austin this weekend, and am thinking of making Sunday a range day. I've done a search, and can't find anything on decent outdoor Austin area gun ranges that are AR friendly, and may allow shoot/move and quick fire drills. Anyone have any suggestions? I would prefer south or southwest side of Austin if possible.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 4:16:11 PM EDT
Not south Austin but Best of the West has their grand opening this weekend. One of the coolest ranges I've been to. Link
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 6:20:45 PM EDT
Lonestar outside of Lockhart allows rapid fire and drawing from the holster. Not enough room for shoot/move drills though.

They are about 30 min south east of Austin.
Link Posted: 9/13/2010 11:37:28 PM EDT
Originally Posted By electrojk:
Lonestar outside of Lockhart allows rapid fire and drawing from the holster. Not enough room for shoot/move drills though.

This is the only one I know of that lets you do that.

If you dont want to go that far, Eagle Peak off of 1431 is a decent outdoor range.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 4:53:54 AM EDT
As stated above, Best of the West in Liberty Hill northwest of Austin and Lone Star in Lockhart southeast of Austin both allow those type of shooting.

Lone Star allows moving and shooting if you are the only one shooting in that bay.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:30:37 AM EDT
Originally Posted By DStrokes:

If you dont want to go that far, Eagle Peak off of 1431 is a decent outdoor range.

One caveat about Eagle Peak is they are a "no FMJ" range.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 9:35:38 AM EDT
Red's Indoor Range at the Oak Hill split (71 & 290) is AR friendly, but there is not enough room there to do any move shoot or drawing drills. It is a 100 yard range but it is very crowded width wise so the booths/benches are narrow. Some range officers will also get upset about "rapid fire", especially if they don't know you. Its a little on the expensive side too, but in the SW corner of Austin there aren't many other alternatives, everything else will be a bit of a drive. FWIW, Red's North in Pflugerville is a nicer facility, but also does not allow moving/shooting drills or that sort of thing due to the layout of the stations on the range.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:12:35 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/14/2010 10:13:05 AM EDT by usmc0331tamu00]
Originally Posted By SoftwareJanitor:

One caveat about Eagle Peak is they are a "no FMJ" range. Other than that its a nice range.

Or rapid fire. Also, the RO that usually works the weekends is an idiot asshole.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 10:13:59 AM EDT
Red's Indoor Range at the Oak Hill split (71 & 290) is AR friendly, but there is not enough room there to do any move shoot or drawing drills. It is a 100 yard range but it is very crowded width wise so the booths/benches are narrow. Some range officers will also get upset about "rapid fire", especially if they don't know you. Its a little on the expensive side too, but in the SW corner of Austin there aren't many other alternatives, everything else will be a bit of a drive. FWIW, Red's North in Pflugerville is a nicer facility, but also does not allow moving/shooting drills or that sort of thing due to the layout of the stations on the range.

Reds in west Austin sucks. I used to shoot on a 'run and gun' IPSC range that let you shoot FA before the guy closed and moved and then I had to function fire an AR at Red's pressure chamber. If you have to check the zero on a rifle it's ok for 3-4 shots to get in and out but don't expect to practice or have quality range time.

Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:21:30 PM EDT

That's only on rifle ammo, and HP or soft points are OK. I don't think they care if 22 is fmj though.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:33:27 PM EDT
On Sunday Texas Tactical will have a carbine match at Austin Rifle Club, in Manor just east of Austin. Normally ARC is member's only, but for matches everyone is welcome. Also on Sunday at Best Of The West, Sheldon's group is putting on a 3 gun match. At the rate Best Of The West is adding action bays you there may be a bay free to shoot in if you don't want to shoot the match.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 12:49:05 PM EDT

That's only on rifle ammo, and HP or soft points are OK. I don't think they care if 22 is fmj though.

You are correct about the no-FMJ being for rifles instead of handguns. I don't know if it applies to rifles/carbines that shoot handgun cartridges like .44 Mag lever actions, etc. FWIW, there is really no such thing as "FMJ" on .22LR as far as I've seen. The most any brand I've seen has is copper/brass plated lead which is way softer and thinner than an actual copper jacket. By that I mean nobody bothers actually making a metal jacket and then swaging in a lead core like for .223 for instance. The only jacketed .22 WMR even that I know of is the Hornady V-Max stuff, and that would be O.K. I'd think, since its got a polymer tip.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 1:12:30 PM EDT
Originally Posted By usmc0331tamu00:

One caveat about Eagle Peak is they are a "no FMJ" range. Other than that its a nice range.

Or rapid fire. Also, the RO that usually works the weekends is an idiot asshole.

This is the reason I havn't been there in almost 4 years,
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 2:15:13 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 9/15/2010 4:39:08 AM EDT by Furyataurus]
Hey voilsb there will be a Texas Tactical Carbine match this Sunday at Austin Rifle Club

Match fee - $25

Minimum rifle round count - 100

Minimum handgun round count , for transition stages, - 25

You will need a rifle sling, extra rifle magazines(6 minimum), handgun magazines(3 minimum) and handgun holster and handgun magazine holders

I will be there this Sunday. IM me for any other questions.

eta 1 : Set up is at 0800 and sign up is at 0900 ; start shooting at 10am and be done by 2 p.m. at the latest depending on how many people show up.
Link Posted: 9/14/2010 3:05:20 PM EDT

I am almost the only contributor to the arfcom range library project.

4 links in the link below will let you search for texas ranges

http://www.ar15.com/forums/forum.html?b=12&f=4

TEXAS - link to over 250 firearm ranges in TEXAS
NRA Local Range Finder Website http://www.nra.org/nralocal.aspx
http://wheretoshoot.org/Find_Range/
Dallas - Fort Worth Texas Gun Ranges (Public and Private) 3 are outdoor Full Metal Jacket
Top Top