Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/6/2021 1:03:39 AM EDT
Can anyone recommend good seafood restaurants around the Stone Mountain area? Chain restaurants common to the state are fine as long as they're good.

Finding good seafood in central Oklahoma was pretty much impossible.  I imagine y'all have much better here in Georgia.  There seems to be no shortage of them around here but I don't know what's good or bad.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 4:49:29 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 5:12:11 PM EDT
[#2]
The best you’ll find in the Snellville/Stone Mountain area is going to be Bonefish Grill (The Shoppes at Web Ginn). Anything better than Bonefish will require you to travel inside the perimeter.

The Juicy Crab is a little further down 124 but it’s brand new and I can’t vouch for it.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 7:16:39 PM EDT
[#3]
Cool, thanks for the recommendations.  

Seems like there's a seafood restaurant every mile or two around here so it's kind of a crapshoot without recommendations from people who've tried it.  It's a birthday dinner so I didn't really want to just flip a quarter.
Link Posted: 7/6/2021 10:10:33 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Seems like there's a seafood restaurant every mile or two around here .
View Quote

Name those places and we'll let you know if they're worth anything.  Stone Mountain and "good seafood" are not synonymous.

Atlanta Fish Market is great and dressy (at least it used to be) but it's a long drive from Stone Mountain.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 3:12:38 PM EDT
[#5]
IMO fried catfish/tilapia with fries and hushpuppies is not seafood, even though a lot of folks down heah think it is.

Having some crappie fillets I caught locally for supper tonight, but I don't call that seafood. It is delicious fish; I guess you could call it "lakefood".
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 3:35:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
IMO fried catfish/tilapia with fries and hushpuppies is not seafood, even though a lot of folks down heah think it is.

Having some crappie fillets I caught locally for supper tonight, but I don't call that seafood. It is delicious fish; I guess you could call it "lakefood".
View Quote

Attachment Attached File
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:40:49 PM EDT
[#7]
The Optimist is probably my favorite in Atlanta for overall seafood.

Really depends what you want though.

Sushi, crab legs, raw oysters, cajun style/boil etc.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:48:06 PM EDT
[#8]
Take a ride to a Pappadeaux. Consistently excellent and a wide variety of seafood.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:51:47 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Take a ride to a Pappadeaux. Consistently excellent and a wide variety of seafood.
View Quote

I think he's right.  Pappa is off Jimmy Carter/I-85 exit in Norcross.  I guess that's as close to Stone Mountain as you can get.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 4:52:28 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is hilarious and true.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 6:58:07 PM EDT
[#11]
Much thanks!

I agree with the "seafood" definition.  I've always referred to freshwater fish as just fish.  To me, seafood has to come from the sea/ocean.  

Crappie is probably my favorite fish to fry although walleye is also fantastic.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 7:41:48 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

I think he's right.  Pappa is off Jimmy Carter/I-85 exit in Norcross.  I guess that's as close to Stone Mountain as you can get.
View Quote

There’s a Pappadeaux at Hwy 120 and I-85 by the PGA Superstore, and it allows you to avoid Norcross.
Link Posted: 7/7/2021 8:43:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Going to add that place to my list, I do like cajun style food.  Very few places outside LA do it well.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:13:03 AM EDT
[#14]
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 11:07:38 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
If in Macon, check out Fish-n-Pig......but be prepared to get a beer and a bag of porkrinds and hang out at the picnic tables outside as there is pretty much always a wait.....seafood is excellent...they make a run to the coast every Thursday so seafood is fresh.....fried alligator and crawfish tails as well and wicked good Bar-b-que, me and the wife have often made a meal of a 1/2 pound of boiled shrimp, basket of gator tail, basket of crawfich tails and a plate of smoked chicken wing or smoked Turkey salad......never had anything there that wasn't awesome....sometimes they have "broken crab leg " special on Thursday night if you like crab you can get your fill for reasonable price.....

View Quote

Always a good choice, in fact it's my wife's choice for her birthday next week.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 12:13:59 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

This is the correct answer. The Optimist
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 2:37:13 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
If in Macon, check out Fish-n-Pig......but be prepared to get a beer and a bag of porkrinds and hang out at the picnic tables outside as there is pretty much always a wait.....seafood is excellent...they make a run to the coast every Thursday so seafood is fresh.....fried alligator and crawfish tails as well and wicked good Bar-b-que, me and the wife have often made a meal of a 1/2 pound of boiled shrimp, basket of gator tail, basket of crawfich tails and a plate of smoked chicken wing or smoked Turkey salad......never had anything there that wasn't awesome....sometimes they have "broken crab leg " special on Thursday night if you like crab you can get your fill for reasonable price.....

View Quote

That's a little too long of a drive for dinner but it sounds awesome.  Might be an option for a day trip type of thing though.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 6:08:47 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
The best you’ll find in the Snellville/Stone Mountain area is going to be Bonefish Grill (The Shoppes at Web Ginn). Anything better than Bonefish will require you to travel inside the perimeter.

The Juicy Crab is a little further down 124 but it’s brand new and I can’t vouch for it.
View Quote

Bonefish Grill isn't terrible, but it's basically the Olive Garden of seafood restaurants. Edible, but not really noteworthy.
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 8:19:02 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:

View Quote

Quoted:

This is the correct answer. The Optimist
View Quote

Agreed. Had a company dinner there. I'm just glad I didn't get the bill!
Link Posted: 7/8/2021 9:55:13 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Bonefish Grill isn't terrible, but it's basically the Olive Garden of seafood restaurants. Edible, but not really noteworthy.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Idk how familiar you are with the Snellville/Stone Mountain area, but ain’t much fine dining ’round here
Link Posted: 7/9/2021 5:48:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:

Idk how familiar you are with the Snellville/Stone Mountain area, but ain’t much fine dining ’round here
View Quote

Oh, I am well aware. I've lived in Lilburn for 15 years and also own a house in Stone Mountain. Definitely slim pickings for good seafood restaurants, but that doesn't turn a mediocre restaurant into a good one. It simply makes it one of the less offensive options.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:03:32 PM EDT
[#22]
If you head away from Stone Mountain straight eastbound on Hwy 78, there is a decent neighborhood seafood restaurant called O’Shucks. Cold link included: https://www.oshucksseafoodandgrill.com/menu

They are not as prestigious as the Atlanta Seafood Market or Pappadeaux Seafood Kitchen, but it is only around a 20-25 minute drive from the Stone Mountain area.

When I was growing up through my childhood to early 20s (70s-80s), Memorial Drive in the Stone Mountain area was undoubtably considered “Restaurant Row” in the east side of metro Atlanta. Back in the day I would’ve referred you to a really popular restaurant called Rio Vista, but the past glory of that era is no more.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 10:46:49 PM EDT
[#23]
Just as an FYI, we went to Bonefish Grill although not the one in Snellville.  The food was better than I expected after reading some of the stuff on here which is good because their prices were higher than I expected as well lol.  Their fish and chips were excellent which surprised me as I've yet to find anywhere that does good fish and chips.  The mahi mahi and shrimp were also very good.  Their Key Lime cake was absolutely fantastic!

I would definitely rate them higher than "the Olive Garden of seafood restaurants".  Not gourmet by any means but considerably better than average.  Thanks for the recommendations!  We'll try the others in the future.
Link Posted: 7/11/2021 11:35:36 PM EDT
[#24]
I bypassed Bonefish Grill last year when I took my wife to Pappadeaux‘s for our anniversary dinner, but I’m not sure if I would spend that kind of money again with just the seafood options available on the menu. Maybe we’ll give Bonefish a try sometime.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 11:00:44 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
I bypassed Bonefish Grill last year when I took my wife to Pappadeaux‘s for our anniversary dinner, but I’m not sure if I would spend that kind of money again with just the seafood options available on the menu. Maybe we’ll give Bonefish a try sometime.
View Quote

Bonefish is a chain, and not the level of Atlanta Seafood Market, but it’s far from “the Olive Garden of seafood restaurants” as referenced above.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 2:21:21 PM EDT
[#26]
If you like Cajun, try Louisiana Bistreaux.    It's not exactly a chain restaurant, but not exactly a Mom and Pop, either.  The food was very good, although I don't really know a lot about Cajun cuisine.
Link Posted: 7/12/2021 10:58:42 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Bonefish is a chain, and not the level of Atlanta Seafood Market, but it’s far from “the Olive Garden of seafood restaurants” as referenced above.
View Quote

I guess it depends what you're used to. To me, it's overpriced mediocre seafood...but I grew up in the Northeast, eating fresh seafood on a regular basis.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 2:50:28 PM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:

I guess it depends what you're used to. To me, it's overpriced mediocre seafood...but I grew up in the Northeast, eating fresh seafood on a regular basis.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I spent most of my time in Oklahoma so the seafood bar is set pretty low lol.
Link Posted: 7/13/2021 7:56:04 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I spent most of my time in Oklahoma so the seafood bar is set pretty low lol.
View Quote

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top