Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 8/14/2004 12:42:26 PM EDT
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:51:53 PM EDT
[#1]
You can't even own a butter knife in Chicago.

MT
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:54:00 PM EDT
[#2]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 12:59:11 PM EDT
[#3]
If you are in Chicago, you absolutely positively have to see the Vietnam Vets Art Museum.  It is amazing.

national-vietnam-veterans-art-museum.visit-chicago-illinois.com/
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:01:06 PM EDT
[#4]

Museum of science and industry, Shed aquarium, and Michigan Ave are all places I would hit.  
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 2:29:28 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:08:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Drop the wife off at Water Tower to shop. Go to Ditkas for dinner. Get the pork chops. POt roast is very good too. Guns??? Chicago??? Of couse not. Thats why the crime rate is so low
Link Posted: 8/14/2004 4:50:45 PM EDT
[#7]
When you are ready for a pizza and a beer, you should go to Lou Malnati's.

www.loumalnatis.com/

There are a million things to do, Navy Pier, go to the top of the Sears Tower, watch out for the cabbies.

Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:19:22 AM EDT
[#8]
Chicago is a great city with an awful mayor and liberal ideology. We live in Western Lake County on the Lake/McHenry line. We live closer to Wisconsin than Chicago. It's a much different story out here, it's like a different state. Enjoy Chicago, it is a truely great, great city. I have been so angry about the politics of the Mayor for the last few years, I have mainly stayed out of the city. I may go there for a Bears game, I may not. A great city either way. I have heard Milennium Park is stellar.
Link Posted: 8/15/2004 5:20:29 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
We're staying at the Hyatt Regency McCormick place.  Are there any good fun shops near by.  I'm always looking for accessories.  It's a company trip and I'm not getting a rental car so the closer the better.  My wife and I will be in town all week.  Any excellent places to eat that you would recommend?  Any malls I can drop my wife off at?

Edit:  I had to swap out the pirate keyboard.  It just wasn't working for me.

Oh and if you get lost on the expressways, stay on them, don't get off. Welcome to murder capital USA
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 2:44:51 PM EDT
[#10]
Great food, good times, and since you cant own a gun, its real safe!Dont foreget to visit Cabrinni Green or The Robert Taylor Homes, just remember, the streets have been made safe.......from people like you and I.
Link Posted: 8/18/2004 7:16:52 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
Great food, good times, and since you cant own a gun, its real safe!
Dont foreget to visit Cabrinni Green or The Robert Taylor Homes, just remember, the streets have been made safe.......from people like you and I.

I believe both have been closed. Daley is exporting the fine people of the projects to the suburbs. I'm glad people are all the same just like my Baby Boomer parents told me, otherwise that may be a real problem.
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 9:38:44 AM EDT
[#12]
Cabrinni Green is partly closed and more is closing all the time.  University of Illinois at chicago is buying all the land and making it in to nice apartment style dorms for students.  the problem is that some of the buildings havent been torn down yet, so there are still squatters living theere.  soon though it should be extinct.  thank god.  my GF lived close to there for 2 years and she finnaly moved to a safer area.  too bad chicago has the law against handguns.  i wanted to get her one for her safety
Remman
Link Posted: 8/19/2004 6:04:56 PM EDT
[#13]
Are you kidding me?  Removing buildings has'nt done a damn thing.  Look at all the projects torn down, over the last 10 years, the dozens along state st., lake st. n. halsted, etc.,  big deal, they were all mostly empty anyway--we were the murder capital in 2003!   And if people are all the same, then why am I not getting a $1200 section 8 voucher a month to live in the suburbs.
Link Posted: 8/23/2004 2:47:28 PM EDT
[#14]
I live here in the city on the south side.I say you go see a white sox game .F .... the cubs.Navy pier is nice for a vist  also have a beef sandwich from on of the several places in the negibor hood you will be staying.One is called freddies it`s on 31 st and  union it`s a very negiborhood place to go tons of police eating ther as the station is close.Next try ricobene`s at 250 w 26 th st. Both of these places will not let you down.Both are abot 2 mi from your hotel.I work at mc cormick place  and will be ther for  IMTS .If you will be there and need  any help  just let me know.Advise your wife while shopping she may be hit up for spare change or asked to buy a homeless newspaper  called streetwise.Deal with it as u wish just  want to give ya a heads up as it`s pretty common and could  kind of freak an out of towner out.I hope you guys enjoy your time here.  Jack
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top