Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/26/2005 3:37:12 PM EDT
I need advise from the Big City Slickers here.

My wife and I will be going to dinner and a show at the Astor Theatre (6th Ave St. & Lafayette) in New York.  We planned on taking the train from Central Jersey into the city, then a subway toward the theatre.  

Is this the best route?  
What delays can be expected in the afternoon, then again on the return trip before midnight?  
Would driving be better?  

Thanks in advance.
PK (from the sticks and not so slick) 90  

ETA:  I will be packing.  
Link Posted: 12/26/2005 11:16:34 PM EDT
[#1]
First off, there ain't no 6th st. and Lafaytte. I think you're going to Astor Place.
Google Damn it!
Astor Place is one block south of 8th st. and I think there is a subway stop there.
I tired, going to bed. Someone else will pick up the ball.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 4:53:48 AM EDT
[#2]
The theater in question is the Astor Place Theater, 434 Lafayette Street, aka the Blue Man Group theater.

Take NJ Transit to Penn Station, get on the N/R train to the 8th Street station and walk 1 block east and 2 short blocks south to the theater.

There shouldn't be delays but the N/R train is S - L - O - W and you may wait 30 minutes to get one.

eta: Directions corrected!!!  It's east and south.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 7:51:09 AM EDT
[#3]
Excellent.
Thank you.
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 10:15:38 AM EDT
[#4]
I'll be watching from a nice cozy sofa .
Link Posted: 12/27/2005 3:23:36 PM EDT
[#5]
If you grab the subways AT midnight, you'll have no one else on the trains.  Right before midnight is when the trains will be packed.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:29:53 AM EDT
[#6]
Enjoy your self.  It is a little crazy but fun.  You can goto MTA and get a pdf of the subway map and any mass transit info.  Phil_A_Steen is right about the N&R it is painfully slow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:32:14 AM EDT
[#7]
The "N" and "R" stand for "never" and "rarely"
Link Posted: 12/28/2005 7:58:32 AM EDT
[#8]
I have a map, but everything is so damn confusing.  Just to confirm, the N and R rail are the ones to take to and from?  The Astor website says the W and R.  

From Penn Station
AMTRAK/Long Island Railroad/New Jersey Transit
Walk one and a half blocks east on 34th Street to 6th Avenue (Herald Square Station), take the “W” or the “R” train (DOWNTOWN) to the 8th Street stop, walk one block south to Astor and one block east to Lafayette Street.

We may take a leisury 27+ block walk, dependant upon weather conditions.  This is about the fifth trip to New York and you'd think I'd have down by now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top