Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 6/7/2009 1:53:05 PM EDT
I am dying to go on a road trip for a few days.  I live in Utah and want to go to Colorado Springs.  I used to live there and want to see it again.  I haven't been back since '79.  I want to take a scenic drive to get there.  One with all the switchbacks and mountain roads.  I don't care about speed limits,  I just want to take my time.  I don't know the roads there in Colorado,  I was 12 in '79.  Thanks for any help.  I would like the most scenic views I can find.  I am an amateur photographer.  Thanks again
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 3:20:42 PM EDT
[#1]
I would suggest perusing the Colorado Scenic Byways and go from there.  All are beautiful drives.  

You may be shocked to see the Springs, if you haven't been here since '79.  It's doubled in size.
Link Posted: 6/7/2009 5:00:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Go over Independence Pass and check out the old mining town of Independence.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 12:36:43 AM EDT
[#3]
Bring your AR. There is a public/free range 6 miles up Rampart Range road from the Garden of the Gods entrance to the road. 6 miles from the pavement.
Link Posted: 6/8/2009 2:59:27 AM EDT
[#4]
When you pass through Grand Junction, you're free to shoot at my house.  I have a range in the back yard.
Link Posted: 6/9/2009 12:40:14 AM EDT
[#5]
Grand Junction through montrose/gunnison/salida/canon is nice.

Another option––-go to the four corners and come up cortez-durango-pagosa springs-alamosa(HWY 160 durango-alamosa).  Then head up hwy 117 through salida grab hwy 50 to penrose then 115 to Springs.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 11:49:18 AM EDT
[#6]
where in utah are you starting from?

are you wanting to go dirt roads at all?  there are plenty, and alot of which you can do in a simple SUV.
Link Posted: 6/16/2009 4:49:42 PM EDT
[#7]
I am starting in Ogden.  I will be driving my Chevy K1500 4X4.  So dirt roads are fine.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top