Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Posted: 3/9/2005 7:12:12 PM EDT
I spent three hours at the NRAHQ today and the sling changed EVERYTHING.
I got all my toys a CQB 3-pointer RIGHT when I got back.
NovaGator RULES.
Link Posted: 3/11/2005 7:14:22 PM EDT
Can you take some pics of what you learned about the 3-point sling?

I thought I wanted to go to a 1-point and ordered a Troy sling and a plate for the carbine. Set it up best I knew how (no instructions with Troy) and don't really like it...

Slings seem so simple but are really COMPLEX to get one just right for you and your shooting style...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 10:56:51 AM EDT

Originally Posted By chapperjoe:
I spent three hours at the NRAHQ today and the sling changed EVERYTHING.
I got all my toys a CQB 3-pointer RIGHT when I got back.
NovaGator RULES.

jeez....it's just a sling

Thanks for the kudos. Glad I could assist.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 4:35:10 PM EDT
I do not understand the one point sling. I bought one too, popped it on and WTF is it supposed to do? It's more like a weapon retention device than a sling. You drop the rifle to go for a pistol or even just want to go to a 'not-shooting' position, and the gun hangs all its weight on one point on your neck. Maybe if there was a chest-belt or seomthing to share the load, make the sling attach at your collarbone instead of at neck, i dunno.

3 point slings rule. I had two , i have four more on way. they will be standard equipment for every long gun I own from now on.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:12:08 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:14:15 PM EDT
i don't get it then......
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 5:58:16 PM EDT
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:17:05 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/12/2005 6:17:26 PM EDT by Stryfe]

i don't get it then......

Treetop posted this in his forum.
Link Posted: 3/12/2005 6:46:00 PM EDT
when you pop the sling on rifle, it pulls on neck. exactly like pic, right near the Tshirt/skin line.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:14:42 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:40:13 AM EDT
Any pics of proper three-point sling placement and adjustment? front, back and closeup of rifle connections... Many would appreciate it

My problem with the single-point is the same ChapperJoe voiced... To get it to ride right on my big, fat chest without digging into neck requires I have the loop long and that then drops the firearm lower than I would want. Plus, in movement, the rifle is swinging all over the place like a pendullum. In movement, gotta hold rifle while transitioning to sidearm to avoid leg impacts...

I thought this would be the case with a single-point, but until you try it on for yourself, you just don't know...

I have a TROY single-point with a round hole plate mounted with my Crane clone stock...

I think I'm going to look into the 3-point... They always looked so "cluttered" though with straps going everywhere...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:31:10 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2005 7:32:56 AM EDT by AdrianUSP9]
3 point slings are da bomb! They combine all the good things of a one and two point sling, and hold the weapon in place better when you set it down. The one disadvantage of a 3 point is that it is harder to switch to your offhand shoulder because you have a strap that goes across your neck. If you keep your sling a little looser, this isnt as much as a problem.

3 points are great if you need to do a pistol transition. You can flip the gun upside down, and the sling strap will hold it against your body. Try running around doing pistol work with an AR on a one point sling - it will be bouncing all over.

Here are some pics from tactical taylor and Maryland AR shooters.

this is a standard carry - if you want to have the weapon held in place, as you put it down, turn the weapon (along the long axis) 180 degrees away from you. (So the pistol grip goes past your belly, then points towards the sky). You can see how that sling strap going across your body will be on the outside of the weapon, holding it in place.

For a pistol transition - same basic idea, but slide the weapon off the your left as well. I couldnt find any pics of that and have no digital camera.

standard carry

partol carry

sling style

backpack style

across back
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 7:50:07 AM EDT
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 8:05:57 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PVFD304:
www.spectergear.com/carryoptions.htm

more options

Thanks, that web site was helpful...

Rmpl
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 9:59:48 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2005 5:03:55 PM EDT by larrycwdc]
Here's the source of a sling that I use ... and with which I need to practice more. While the Sling System's edge abrades the neck during practice when worn without a collar, the info SlingSystem provides sort of provides now about its usage was a principal determinant in my purchase decision. (Some sling producers seem to believe that one can learn recommended usage from osmosis or something.)

The other determinant for my purchase was Knoxx Industries' stockage and recommendations about the sling's use with their tactical shotgun products (including not being shy about how the sling should be removed if the weapon is going to be used for home defense). I've a COPStalk (folder) on my Marine Magnum 870, and between the stock and the VanComp porting, the gun is almost fun to fire. (The Sling-System makes carrying this heavyweight around a manageable proposition.) I equipped my AR-104AC with one of these slings afterwards, and like chapperjoe, now view the sling as an essential add-on for long guns not used exclusively for bench-shooting.

The information including looped video showing some of the Sling-System's usage can be found here. (Edited to add.) Some of their HTML is broken on the site. If you also check out this page, and then increment the URL manually in your address bar from sssetup2.html through sssetup12.html, you'll see some additional instructions. Note that the sling in these latter pictures is an EZ-Sling. The SlingSystem has an additional loop of material, and quick release buckle, to enable fully lengthening the sling without removing it.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:04:27 PM EDT

...the one point sling ... It's more like a weapon retention device than a sling. You drop the rifle to go for a pistol or even just want to go to a 'not-shooting' position, and the gun hangs

That's pretty much it. Think of a single-point sling as more like a lanyard for your pistol, where a 3-point sling is more akin to your holster. If you're going to be carrying your rifle around all day to have with you, then go 3-point. If you are going to have it in your hands anyway, then a single-point is less obtrusive and still provides retention.
Link Posted: 3/13/2005 5:25:49 PM EDT
Wow, check it out:
A Haiku By chapperjoe

One point sling
Weapon retention device
The gun hangs

Link Posted: 3/13/2005 6:51:27 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 3/13/2005 6:52:47 PM EDT by gotm4]
Single point works best for me too. I'm left eye dominant and right handed. I've just figured out that I need to shoot lefty on long guns primarily. I shoot WAY more accurately left handed with a long gun a little slower but accuracy is MORE important than speed. A single point works best for carbine to pistol transition on what drills I've done so far shooting the carbine lefty and the pistol right handed.
Top Top