Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 1/8/2005 3:35:04 PM EDT
Those of you who have been around the Hometown Forum for a while have heard the stories of my time living in my neighborhood (i.e. a drunk Mexican taking out my neighbor's fence, drive by shooting in front of my house, occassional gunfire, etc.).  Well, here's another one for you...

My roommate was on her way home from the local Post Office which is about 2 niles from the house.  While she was sitting at a red light she noticed a couple of guys standing on the corner waiting for the light to turn.  As she is sitting there, out of the corner of her eye she sees movement and turns her head only to find one of the guys trying to open the passenger door to her car.  Fortunately, it was locked.  When the guys realized this they both took off running.  She called 911 and the police were there in a matter of minutes and caught the guys less than a mile from the intersection.  
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 4:15:09 PM EDT
[#1]

Quoted:
Those of you who have been around the Hometown Forum for a while have heard the stories of my time living in my neighborhood (i.e. a drunk Mexican taking out my neighbor's fence, drive by shooting in front of my house, occassional gunfire, etc.).  Well, here's another one for you...

My roommate was on her way home from the local Post Office which is about 2 niles from the house.  While she was sitting at a red light she noticed a couple of guys standing on the corner waiting for the light to turn.  As she is sitting there, out of the corner of her eye she sees movement and turns her head only to find one of the guys trying to open the passenger door to her car.  Fortunately, it was locked.  When the guys realized this they both took off running.  She called 911 and the police were there in a matter of minutes and caught the guys less than a mile from the intersection.  

Nice... time for a .45 through the forehead that is. Good thing she was aware of the situation. So many soccer moms around here are driving around with "victim" painted on their head. Don't lock their doors, talking on the cellular, oblivious to their surroundings.

Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:02:14 PM EDT
[#2]
+1
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:33:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Yup, it would be worth replacing the door glass, and the ear ringing for the rest of the night to reduce the BG count by 1.

Does she carry?
Link Posted: 1/8/2005 5:38:15 PM EDT
[#4]

Quoted:
Yup, it would be worth replacing the door glass, and the ear ringing for the rest of the night to reduce the BG count by 1.

Does she carry?

No...she usually just takes me.  
Link Posted: 1/9/2005 11:14:57 AM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 7:45:25 AM EDT
[#6]
Sounds like you live in a fun neighborhood...NOT.   I had a friend that lived downtown, it was always entertaining to watch the ladies of the night ply their trade...until he pointed out the bullet holes in his windows...

Now, I'll ask you the same question I asked him...Why haven't you moved?
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 8:06:53 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Must be the adventure.  Nothing tops a 9 to 5 like coming home to carjackers and drive-by shootings!
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 9:01:54 AM EDT
[#8]
OK, I can understand liking to live dangerously, but I don't think I'd like the risk of becoming swiss cheese just to get over the boring day job.  But hey, I killed Bambi with the car coming to work on Friday morning.  I guess it's just whatever your personal opinion of what "safe" is.  

I live in the middle of nowhere and had a pistol in hand when the UPS driver showed up unexpectedly.   Then again, with 2 Great Danes there isn't any such thing as sneaking up to the house.  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:12:36 AM EDT
[#9]
Sounds just like my old neighberhood in Roswell...One night a drunk mexican plows into my dads truck and moms minivan, takes off, cops never found him... Heard shots a few night there, and my buddies (he still lives there) car has been getting egged and damaged lately...Glad i'm outta there...
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 10:46:55 AM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Then again, with 2 Great Danes there isn't any such thing as sneaking up to the house.  

You mean to tell me they actually get off your couch?  Wow never heard of Dane doing that....

Wolf
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:35:30 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Need a roommate?  
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 1:45:14 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Then again, with 2 Great Danes there isn't any such thing as sneaking up to the house.  

You mean to tell me they actually get off your couch?  Wow never heard of Dane doing that....

Wolfhr

I was expecting something other than a Great Dane explanation.

I live in Arlington, VA in one of the worse parts of town.  Multiple homicides, hit and run murders, litter, loud music, and a lot of trespassing and foot traffic.   It's expensive to move.  I'm guessing that's the case with our OP.
Link Posted: 1/10/2005 4:53:03 PM EDT
[#13]
Another reason to scope out your next home. I live on a 25-30 degree slope. No one is going to "hang out" or park on my property. If they are they're going to be disoriented and an easy target. Plus no on has a driveway on eitherside = no rap & basketball at 12 a.m. either. Neighbor across the street has a .50bmg. To the north 3 handguns and two ARs. Brazillians to the south are scared of guns. Its very quiet.
Link Posted: 1/11/2005 5:14:36 AM EDT
[#14]
The Danes are great...and as I'm the person who feeds them they are very protective of me.

My girl is very noisy...if someone knocks on TV she's barking.  My male is nice and quiet...and if you touch me he'll eat you.  It's taken some work but I've (almost) got them to stay off the couch.  It's Mike & Mona's fault...they spoiled her rotten, and the ex continued that trend.

Need a roommate?

You willing to drive to work from Lake Oconee?
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top