Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 7/26/2009 5:17:38 PM EST

Many new changes at Gilberts, now called Sharpshooters Small Arms Range. We have replaced all of the shooting lanes with new equipment, still working some of the bugs out but the range looks great. The showroom has been renovated so we can display a lot more inventory, More handguns in stock, lots of M&Ps, revolvers, XD's, Glocks, Beretta's and many other brands. We have nearly 50 different new 1911's, Rock Island, Taurus, Dan Wesson, Colt Springfield, Kimber, Smith & Wesson, STI, Nighthawk, Ed Brown and Wilson Combat. We also have nearly 200 new and used long guns. Drop by this week and check us out!

Tim
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:08:21 PM EST
Have the people changed at all? I only ask because the day I walked in I was there for 10-12 minutes before anybody acknowledged me. And then I had to interrupt an employee conversation in order to ask a question. I just didn't sit well with me.
Link Posted: 7/26/2009 6:17:11 PM EST
Originally Posted By aaronrb204:
Have the people changed at all? I only ask because the day I walked in I was there for 10-12 minutes before anybody acknowledged me. And then I had to interrupt an employee conversation in order to ask a question. I just didn't sit well with me.

It's hard to say, we have a core few people who have been there a long time and then a larger group of part timers that changes over with some frequency. I appologize if you felt slighted.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 6:42:48 AM EST
Cool.

Have to come check it out.

Link Posted: 7/27/2009 3:42:21 PM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2009 12:38:01 PM EST by novaDAK]

I've noticed that "the regulars" always treat me well, guess they've been seeing me around since 2004 when I first started shooting there.
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:42:55 PM EST
i stopped by while the range was undergoing its transformation - i will have to stop by again to see the results
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 5:56:34 PM EST
I've never been, what are your wait times like on your typical weekday/weekend?
Link Posted: 7/27/2009 7:05:40 PM EST
when can we start shooting the big guns there?
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 3:09:38 AM EST
I was always under the impression that the backstop could handle rifle, but the ceiling couldn't. You should let people with cans on their rifles shoot.......

Link Posted: 7/28/2009 5:34:01 AM EST

Weekends tend to run busy, but rarely more than a 30 minute wait. We will be remaining a pistol caliber only (2,000fps velocity limit) range, the overhead baffels can't take rifle and the building would have to be reinforced to take the weight of rifle rated baffels. Shotguns are still ok, birdshot, buck and slug, weekdays till 5:00PM. Evenings and weekends shotguns are at the discretion of the rangemaster, based on how crowded the range is. With the new backstop we have allowed the use of 30 Carbine, so those are fine to shoot now, if you can find ammo. There is also talk we may be extending our hours, staying open till 9 or 10 on Saturday, and 9 on Sunday.
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 6:31:32 AM EST
Originally Posted By EvilBert:
and 9 on Sunday.

Woot!!
Link Posted: 7/28/2009 8:11:00 AM EST
[Last Edit: 7/28/2009 8:14:27 AM EST by CBR900]
No complaints here. The guys working there have always treated me in a more-than-fair manner; as far as wait-times, well, what shop or range does not have a wait-time during these days of panic-buying? I was always helped in the order in which I approached the counter.

BTW, I previously ran the USPSA shoots at Shooters Paradise. I can confirm that plenty of people with rifles in NOVA managed to shoot the floors, walls, and yes, the ceiling at Shooters; we were in a cinderblock building and the roof had accumulated close to a foot of tar over the years - so it was a good bet that all those mis-directed rounds would stay in the building - but it was still very damaging to have rifles in there in the hands of many novices/non-competent folks and it was rifle fire with tracers that eventually ended Shooters. I do not blame Sharpshooters/gilberts at all for not permitting rifle calibers. Their range, their rules. Besides, there are other ranges that allow rifles if that is what you need.

I will gladly shop & shoot at Sharpshooters any day.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 7:31:29 AM EST
stopped by today for the first time since the range reopened. I must say I'm very impressed with the new setup. I love the new target system. I had a nice conversation with the range master who has always been friendly to myself and my family.
Link Posted: 7/29/2009 3:33:59 PM EST
I was there this evening after work. The range looks nice, and the new target carrier system is a vast improvement. RE: the people - I've been going there for almost 5 years, and have always been treated well.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 3:52:57 PM EST
y'all still owned by Ares Group?
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 4:03:43 PM EST
I stopped in tonight to have a look around and spoke with Evil Bert. Massive improvement. A lot more floor space. Excellent selection of firearms, especially for 1911 fans. The range looked very nice indeed.

This place took a big step forward.
Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:05:24 PM EST
Originally Posted By Yankee-Carpet-Bagger:

We've never been owned by Ares Group. Bruce Moore Sr., who owns Ares also owns Sharpshooters, but they are sepperate entities and are unrelated Corporations. Anything Ares gets from us, from ammo, to range time, to guns, they pay for.

Link Posted: 7/31/2009 6:30:05 PM EST
i wish I lived closer...it looks like you guys have done a great job...

as a question/suggestion...I looked at the website for what guns you guys have available for rental and didn't find one (which I fully admit could be because my interwebs-fu suxors)...

if that is available, could you point me in that direction?

if it isn't on the website, as a suggestion, I think that would be extremely helpful...I know people who work at other local gun stores will often recommend you guys as a means of "try before you buy" and it would be very nice if we could see what options were available....also for folks like me who live a distance away...if i knew i could drive up there and rent "x" before I bought one it would be extremely helpful

thanks!
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:37:30 PM EST
Originally Posted By trio:
i wish I lived closer...it looks like you guys have done a great job...

as a question/suggestion...I looked at the website for what guns you guys have available for rental and didn't find one (which I fully admit could be because my interwebs-fu suxors)...

thanks!

Excellent suggestion, I will talk to the web people about that.

Tim
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:11:41 PM EST
More 1911's? I'll be there!
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 12:53:55 PM EST
Originally Posted By EvilBert:
Originally Posted By Yankee-Carpet-Bagger:

We've never been owned by Ares Group. Bruce Moore Sr., who owns Ares also owns Sharpshooters, but they are sepperate entities and are unrelated Corporations. Anything Ares gets from us, from ammo, to range time, to guns, they pay for.

Cool, thanks for the reply.
Top Top