Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Site Notices
10/20/2017 1:01:18 AM
9/22/2017 12:11:25 AM
Posted: 8/26/2005 4:16:33 AM EDT
Ok. So I know if I'm going to buy a rifle or handgun on a face to face the waiting period still applies. However, what if a someone wants to give you a gun for free, because they no longer want it in their home, does the wait still apply?

I'm not looking to skirt the law here, but I know someone that was going to turn in his guns to a local PD to be destroyed. I told him I would like to save some of his stuff from distruction. He wants me to come over to look at his stuff to see if there is anything I want . However he is a long way away and I would like to make one trip if possible.

So, do I make two trips or one?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:22:45 AM EDT
Todd V was at the ASC meeting last night and he was saying basically, the new law states that the waiting period starts the moment you agree on a price.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 5:48:30 AM EDT

Originally Posted By Bucky145:
Ok. So I know if I'm going to buy a rifle or handgun on a face to face the waiting period still applies. However, what if a someone wants to give you a gun for free, because they no longer want it in their home, does the wait still apply?

I'm not looking to skirt the law here, but I know someone that was going to turn in his guns to a local PD to be destroyed. I told him I would like to save some of his stuff from distruction. He wants me to come over to look at his stuff to see if there is anything I want . However he is a long way away and I would like to make one trip if possible.

So, do I make two trips or one?

The only hope you have is to accept the fact that you are already dead. And the sooner you accept that, the sooner you will be able to function as a soldier is supposed to function, without mercy, without compassion, without remorse.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 6:20:03 AM EDT
Dude, I'll buy a couple off you for $20 apiece.

Grab them all.

WIZZO
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 12:08:10 PM EDT
No waiting period. He can give them to you as long as you are legally allowed to possess them. It would be a good idea for both of you to write up something stating that he is transferring ownership to you for free.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 1:58:08 PM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/26/2005 1:58:52 PM EDT by Bucky145]

Originally Posted By npd233:
No waiting period. He can give them to you as long as you are legally allowed to possess them. It would be a good idea for both of you to write up something stating that he is transferring ownership to you for free.

No problem legally possessing them . I was going to write up the guns just as if I would if I was purchasing them for cash. Gun info, his info, my info, and date of transaction. I would only be changing the dollar amount to "Free", "Gift", or "zero dollars and 00/100 cents".

I'm going to see him on Saturday. Hope he has some cool stuff and does not turn out to be a wild goose chase. I will take everything I can if he is willing. Hate to see anything go to the chop saw . He said that some of the stuff was his grandfather's so maybe some old stuff, which I know next to nothing about.

Link Posted: 8/26/2005 2:39:31 PM EDT

Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:
Todd V was at the ASC meeting last night and he was saying basically, the new law states that the waiting period starts the moment you agree on a price.

So if I purchase and pay for a rifle out of state that is shipped to my FFL here in IL, I still need to wait the 24 hours after filling out the paperwork correct?
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:33:53 PM EDT
I wish I knew people like that! I'd be more than willing to adopt any unwanted firearm and give it a good home - it would regularly be fed ammo and exercised at local ranges.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 4:54:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Cradddock:

Originally Posted By LoadedDrum:

So if I purchase and pay for a rifle out of state that is shipped to my FFL here in IL, I still need to wait the 24 hours after filling out the paperwork correct?

IIRC, receiving any firearm from an in-state FFL still requires a waiting period from the time you fill out the 4473 form, regardless of whether you're buying it from him or just transferring it through him from an out of state seller.
Link Posted: 8/26/2005 7:55:39 PM EDT
IIRC, I believe you can buy rifles out of state w/o having to go through an FFL as long as you are physically present in that state, can't send them through the mail / UPS though.

For instance, IIRC, If I was in MN and saw a rifle / shotgun that I had to have, I believe I could buy it there and be good to go.

WI, will make you wait 24hrs, but I don't believe other non-border states will.

Handguns must be shipped back to your FFL.
Link Posted: 8/27/2005 6:06:46 AM EDT
Update,

Saturday meeting was cancelled. His wife was ill. Next meeting may be Sunday, but only if his wife is feeling better. I can not stand the wait. I'm like a kid waiting for Christmas.
Top Top