Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 3/28/2006 8:03:27 AM EST
Last year Death451 and myself hosted a get together for Ghille Suit building. It was very well received and we had a lot of fun. Recently there have been some requests that we hold another one this year and add “gear” to the topics discussed.
So here is the deal. We are going to try and find a location (probably the spot where we had the last few Defensive Edge armorer’s courses) and have a “Ghille and Gear day”.
We would be building ghillie suits, setting up, swapping, and customizing gear/rigs, making custom slings, eating pizza, BSing, and otherwise having a fun get together for like minded folks.
Defensive Edge/SLR15 and CY6 Gear have offered to sponsor the event and I am looking into one or more gear stores chipping in as well.
Cost would only be voluntary donations. What do you all think?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:11:00 AM EST
Count me in! I'll bring my sewing kit/webbing and gear!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:12:24 AM EST
Could there/would there be a shoot associated with this?

That'd be fun.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:18:22 AM EST
sounds like fun. let me know what i can bring
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:23:41 AM EST
I'm In!!!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:43:58 AM EST

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
i2.tinypic.com/sbogmv.gif I'm In!!!! i2.tinypic.com/sbogmv.gif

is with you and this bannana guy!

Don't forget to bring tinfoil for a hat project!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 8:46:15 AM EST

Originally Posted By death451:

Originally Posted By dpmmn:
I'm In!!!!

is with you and this bannana guy!

Don't forget to bring tinfoil for a hat project!

I like the Banana guy
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:44:16 AM EST
I wish I had more money. I want more gear.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 9:52:13 AM EST
Not so sure that discharging firearms in the city limits would be a good idea? And, not sure FG's association would appreciate the noise! I know Air Soft at 10 paces? Super Soakers at 20 paces?

Originally Posted By Dave_Pendleton:
Could there/would there be a shoot associated with this?

That'd be fun.

Link Posted: 3/28/2006 10:22:56 AM EST
I might be in for it. Maybe I could find some webbing and buckles and make a sling for my new shotgun, if someone has sewing machines available.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:15:37 AM EST
Sounds like a good time. Count me in
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 11:47:02 AM EST
Forgive my ignorance but exactly what does ghillie suit building entail? Is there some sort of material or something needed or would I need a basic setup to work from?
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:03:19 PM EST

Originally Posted By Jakezor:

Jakezor,

Show up anyway!
It isn't so much about buying and selling. It's more about making and using what you have correctly.
We plan on some swapping, and maybe CY6 and Stubby might be interested in selling. I doubt anyone will be planning on actually making any money in this.

I'm hoping to keep admission free. (The building costs $35.00 a day, and I'm pretty sure donations will cover it)
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 12:20:17 PM EST
You can count me in probably. Have to see what weekend you all decide on and check my scedule!!
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 1:48:39 PM EST
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 2:55:59 PM EST
Great another event I will not be able to attend if it is held the any of the first 3 weekends in April.
Link Posted: 3/28/2006 4:47:01 PM EST
That sounds interesting. What materials would be needed?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 3:12:59 AM EST
I am in, depending on what day(s) the class would be. May would be better then April.

Also, could we get a list going of what to bring, like supplies, so we can stock up before the class?
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 5:32:59 AM EST
I still need to make a few calls before looking at a date.
Death451 put together a list of stuff you should have to get started on the Ghillie for last years get together. I'll see if we can get another posted.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:04:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By QuinlanV:
I still need to make a few calls before looking at a date.
Death451 put together a list of stuff you should have to get started on the Ghillie for last years get together. I'll see if we can get another posted.

Groovy!!
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:06:02 AM EST
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 6:38:30 AM EST

I have not bought a sling in a couple of years. I make all my stuff from webbing and fasteners I buy at REI. you can get free faster samples at ITW-Nexus.com as well.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:00:27 AM EST

Originally Posted By mcnielsen:

I have not bought a sling in a couple of years. I make all my stuff from webbing and fasteners I buy at REI. you can get free faster samples at ITW-Nexus.com as well.

Thanks for the link M.!

I scavange a lot of my buckles, loops, connectors, and webbing from worn out kids stuff and other gear! It sounds funny, but when we break or wear out a backpack, stroller, child bike trailer, or bike helmets, etc. I get the scissors our and save the straps and connectors. I have a small box full of that stuff, just in case. They've come in handy many times. It pays to be crafty.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 7:35:32 AM EST

I plan on showing up guys, because a few of the things I can make, but stuff like dump pouches, or a chest carrier, I am not sure if I can make. (plus can you get fabric in AUC? hahahaha!)
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 8:33:28 AM EST
Sounds like fun.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 10:06:11 AM EST
I'm interested in this as well. I don't think I will be building a suit, but it would be nice to see how it is done. I'd really like to see what kind of gear other people are running and find out how it works for them.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:36:52 PM EST

Originally Posted By mnandy:
I might be in for it. Maybe I could find some webbing and buckles and make a sling for my new shotgun, if someone has sewing machines available.

I will bring a few different ones some for you to use and one for me to make repairs.

I will work on a list for Ghillie stuff.
Link Posted: 3/29/2006 12:54:54 PM EST

I will bring a few different ones some for you to use and one for me to make repairs.

Cool!! I'm not much of a seamstress-last time I used a sewing machine was in home-ec in 8th grade. I got some free buckles and stuff coming from the link Mike had. I'll stop and pick up some webbing one of these nights. I'm thinking 2 identical single point (like the specter mout) slings, and maybe 1 or 2 extra attachment points??? Any sugestions on webbing type or brand? I don't know how much I will need to buy. I'm thinking 7 feet per sling should be more than enough. Now I'm excited. Making stuff is fun!!
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 6:52:18 AM EST

Originally Posted By mnandy:

Cool!! I'm not much of a seamstress-last time I used a sewing machine was in home-ec in 8th grade. I got some free buckles and stuff coming from the link Mike had. I'll stop and pick up some webbing one of these nights. I'm thinking 2 identical single point (like the specter mout) slings, and maybe 1 or 2 extra attachment points??? Any sugestions on webbing type or brand? I don't know how much I will need to buy. I'm thinking 7 feet per sling should be more than enough. Now I'm excited. Making stuff is fun!!

For single point slings mount style you will need per sling 2 tri glides of same size as webing 1 side relese(SP) buckle in the same width as web and web in whatever width you want 1,1.25,1.50.
1.50 is the best IMObut they all work.(about 80in of webing or if you are Biga MN about a 100in)

last but not least a small donation to Sully for use of thread and wear and tear on machine.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 7:49:43 AM EST
[Last Edit: 3/30/2006 7:50:48 AM EST by death451]
List of Ghillie suit makeing materials! (forgot my list at home so here it goes)

Base garment: flight suit BDUs or just the BDU blouse make sure it is larger than you normally wear so you have room to put extra layers under them if needed.

Neting: this can be hammock or fishing net not limited to my imagination.

Needle and thread: hooked needles or straight will work fine. Thread some dark color OD brown tan green. (Side note no Black is allowed in my presence or on a G suit in any way, in nature black does not blend with anything whatsoever, so please eliminate it from your vocab for the day.)

Shoe goop outdorsmand goo it is all the same!

If you are makeing a full suit you will need a yard or two of canvas or courdura for skid plates.

Actuall camoing of suit will fall on you on your own another day. We will try to compete the base and you can cammo as nessasary. I will discuss burlap and jute among other things you could use and show you some of these things and where to buy.

Feel free to add to this list. "This is not the only way it is just a way" if you have other ways of doing things feel free to come and show us.
Link Posted: 3/30/2006 11:18:28 AM EST
What about some tacticool suspenders like BulletcatchR had, to keep my gear belt up around my waist instead of sagging below the gut.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:41:01 AM EST

Feel free to add to this list. "This is not the only way it is just a way" if you have other ways of doing things feel free to come and show us.

No trolling this thread like last year!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 6:51:45 AM EST

It has already happened, just not on this site, went through 2 threads already
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:26:55 AM EST

Originally Posted By TruePunisher:

It has already happened, just not on this site, went through 2 threads already

Yeah, I saw that. I figure we will hash out the details here, and when we have a day set, post a heads up over on that site as well. There did seem to be some interest there.

We are working on fitting things into the sponsor schedules. So far CY6 Gear, Stubby Gear, and Oak Grove Arms have expressed interest in participating and offering deals for attendees.
I keep you guys posted.
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 7:37:13 AM EST
Well, I guess they can't ban jem from every internet board...
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 8:29:01 AM EST

Well, I guess they can't ban jem from every internet board...

Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:11:50 PM EST

What about some tacticool suspenders like BulletcatchR had, to keep my gear belt up around my waist instead of sagging below the gut.

Trade secret on the suspenders, BC is makeing some up for me to sell though. Don't know how much yet.

Those are great low pro suspenders!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 1:32:10 PM EST

Trade secret on the suspenders, BC is makeing some up for me to sell though. Don't know how much yet.

As long as they fit the belt I have and are either OD or AUC!
Link Posted: 3/31/2006 2:25:40 PM EST

As long as they fit the belt I have and are either OD or AUC!

They will fit the belt and are reversable OD and tan.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 2:59:12 AM EST

Do they come in black?
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 5:01:12 AM EST
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 8:00:56 AM EST
Stan, I'll need a pair of the suspenders some day also. Dan
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 3:13:01 PM EST

Originally Posted By BulletcatchR:
I can make them any color you want, ,as long as it OD Tan or Coyote. For Fedgunner only I will make him some black ones (krylon can rattling in the background...). JK,

CY6
bulletcatchR

My Man,

I was just kidding!

Tho I did end up with an Eagle tac vest in black this last weekend.
I did score some Point Plank soft armor.
Link Posted: 4/1/2006 4:07:53 PM EST
FedGunner & Quinlan, when did you want to host this? I might have a venue.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:10:34 AM EST

Originally Posted By 4weelin:
Stan, I'll need a pair of the suspenders some day also. Dan

I think he will be sending some up for gear day. Bring your duckets an I will hook you up Gmoney if I can git my new grill gleamin by then.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 6:40:32 PM EST
I probably can't make it into Minnesota til May. Not sure if that works for anyone. I'll be there the second and third weeks and Sunday would work the best. April is real tight for time (working in North Dakota and Wyoming) and my weekends are now spent helping to coach my kids Baseball team. If that works I can bring up some gear to play with; Eagle, Specter, Paraclete, Safariland, BDUs if needed, etc.
Link Posted: 4/3/2006 8:33:08 PM EST
That should probably work just fine Stubby. Thanks for contributing.
Link Posted: 4/4/2006 5:32:47 PM EST
Folks.. we need dates.....

Enough dancin'!

Link Posted: 4/4/2006 7:06:07 PM EST
May 13th 14th? That would be far enough out to help people make plans around and buy supplies. Just tossing it out there

I see there is a DE class on the 13th so maybe the 14th?
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 2:21:51 AM EST

Originally Posted By FedGunner:
Folks.. we need dates.....

Enough dancin'!

The sooner the better for me. My entire summer is already booked, so early May or any time in April would be best.
Link Posted: 4/5/2006 10:00:12 AM EST
I'd almost prefer a non weekend evening for this.
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top