Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/25/2010 9:35:33 AM EDT
Howdy folks!

Been living in Lafayette for just about a year now, but am not an Indiana native. Job is transferring me down to Beech Grove within the next 2-3 weeks. I need to find a place to live and was hoping y'all could make some suggestions about what areas I should look at and which to avoid.

I much prefer living in the country/suburbs but don't want to be more than say a 1/2 hour from the outskirts of Beech Grove. I've been told to at all costs, avoid living IN BG. I'd be looking to either rent a small (1 or 2 br.) home/townhouse, or an apt. w/ a garage. (22 and single)

Also, any general info you can give me about the area would be great!

Thanks all!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 10:49:59 AM EDT
[#1]
You could look at the outskirts of Greenwood.  Maybe Shelbyville.
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:42:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Shelbyville is a bit far but you could always give whiteland a try or even franklin... I'm about 20-30 minutes out from downtown Indy (beechgrove is closer than downtown) on average and I'm stuck in franklin...
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 12:43:57 PM EDT
[#3]
I would agree with the Whiteland/Greenwood area.  I live in Whiteland and love it.  Great small town and in .5 miles I can be surrounded by cornfields!
Link Posted: 2/25/2010 3:54:32 PM EDT
[#4]
The drive to and from work will suck on I-65.  Take a look out I-74.  There is rarely a back up.  You will like what you see at every exit.  You will be outside Marion county one you get to Pleasant View exit.  Then it is all farm land.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 3:58:50 AM EDT
[#5]
That's the kind of advice I need. Thanks guys.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 7:05:19 AM EDT
[#6]
Here is a real easy way to find out the type and amount of crime in an area of Marion County.  If you click on main menu, Then search arcive by address.  A 30 day 1 mile search will give you a great idea of what kind of crime is in the area.
A warning though. Some inner city areas may lock up your computer.  But it is fun to see how nice my area is (Acton) compared to the hood.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 8:18:59 AM EDT
[#7]
Looks like cost of living is going to increase far more than the raise I'm getting for moving... haha, FML.
Link Posted: 2/26/2010 7:41:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Looks like cost of living is going to increase far more than the raise I'm getting for moving... haha, FML.

You're in the big city now son.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 5:58:27 AM EDT
[#9]
Franklin is a great town.
Shelbyville has always seemed a little depressing to me for some reason.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:05:13 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grew up in a DC suburb... Ran away to Iowa to get away from this city crap! How long a commute is it from Franklin? Seems to be some more reasonable rentals there. Looks like it could be a hike though.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 6:12:27 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Franklin is a great town.
Shelbyville has always seemed a little depressing to me for some reason.

Agree 100%
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 9:21:24 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Grew up in a DC suburb... Ran away to Iowa to get away from this city crap! How long a commute is it from Franklin? Seems to be some more reasonable rentals there. Looks like it could be a hike though.

With no traffic it is probably 20-25 minutes.  But if you will be working 8-5 it could be 45-60 minutes in traffic.  More in snow.  You do not need to go out to Shelbyville.  If you are looking for an apartment to rent.  There are some nice ones at the post road exit on I-74 behind Wendy's  (10 minute drive side roads or interstate) As for houses, my neice just bought bought a house in a subdivsion just north of Whiteland road for $60,000.  It sold 7 years ago for $149.000.  So there are some deals out there that is cheaper than renting.  

Link Posted: 2/27/2010 10:31:56 AM EDT
[#13]
FWIW I live near Southport and Bluff (between 135 and Bluff), just right outside of the Greenwood hustle a bustle. Not too far from Beechgrove and easy access to the interstate from multiple directions. Its a pretty nice area and not too much traffic to deal with. Although I do like this area (no personal break ins or crime to report), I too prefer more of a country setting so i will be moving further south once I get my ducks in a row. You may want to check out this area and see what you think. I would also not recommend living in Beechgrove, I go there for bowling and thats enough for me.
Link Posted: 2/27/2010 12:11:33 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
. I've been told to at all costs, avoid living IN BG.

Why what's wrong with it?
Link Posted: 2/28/2010 12:40:41 PM EDT
[#15]
Looked at the area around my office.... holy hell. Homeboy don't wanna get shank'd!

Greenwood looked nice, but busy. Went out co. rd 825? Nice countryside, but no luck on rentals. I guess I'm going to get in touch with a realtor... This is getting goddamn overwhelming. Thanks all for the help.
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 9:02:54 AM EDT
[#16]
Sam I think you should quit ADM and go work for Cargill in Iowa!!
Link Posted: 3/2/2010 10:18:33 AM EDT
[#17]
Yeah, yeah, Kyle.

And you'll still be stuck in Brookston
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 8:07:45 AM EDT
[#18]
they have a very good gun store in Beech Grove
Link Posted: 3/3/2010 9:48:14 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
FWIW I live near Southport and Bluff (between 135 and Bluff), just right outside of the Greenwood hustle a bustle. Not too far from Beechgrove and easy access to the interstate from multiple directions. Its a pretty nice area and not too much traffic to deal with. Although I do like this area (no personal break ins or crime to report), I too prefer more of a country setting so i will be moving further south once I get my ducks in a row. You may want to check out this area and see what you think. I would also not recommend living in Beechgrove, I go there for bowling and thats enough for me.

, man, you are darn near my neighbor, i bet i've probably passed you a few times in kroger, lol.
Link Posted: 3/4/2010 2:02:36 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

, man, you are darn near my neighbor, i bet i've probably passed you a few times in kroger, lol.

I wouldn't doubt it. I seem to be in there a lot.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 10:54:59 AM EDT
[#21]
Well, company has changed their mind it looks like. Ugh.

Thanks everyone for the help. I should find out in a week or so where I'm going to end up.
Link Posted: 3/9/2010 12:23:52 PM EDT
[#22]
Well now that Indy is out of the question I am pulling for North Dakota .... you could shoot prairie dogs off your porch and no one would ever say anything .. it would be like your own little playground. Of course I have heard that there are more sheep than women out there .....
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top