Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Posted: 7/17/2008 9:13:48 AM EDT
I've been looking at posts lately with pictures of ranges that shooters get to shoot at all around the country.

Im freaking really tired of the whole range thing, and would just like to shoot on some private land somewhere that belongs to somebody that allows it, maybe even shoots themselves.

I've seen pictures of some "gong" ranges out to 1000yds. DOES THIS EVEN EXIST IN FLORIDA?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:17:57 AM EDT
I feel your pain!
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 9:52:47 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 9:57:12 AM EDT by blacksunshinez51]
Manatee gun and archery........goes out to 1k

Its in Myakka, Manatee County

The tire is at 560 yrds between the 2 berms are the 1k yrd lanes

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:17:25 AM EDT
Such property does still exist, however the people that own that type of land are rather particular as to who they give access to.

I have access to acreage owned by a couple of growers here in Manatee county but it took me years to gain their trust. I occasionally take a close friend or two with me when I go out there, but that is only after approval of said guests by the owner or his representative. Sadly, liability is everything in this day and age.

I'm also a member of the afore mentioned Manatee Gun Club which is a nice facility.

Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:30:33 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 11:33:07 AM EDT by DarkEarth]
What about going out and shooting in Ocala?

Not talking about the range out there, my friends and I used to shoot all the time while camping/jeeping back in the high school days out in Ocala.

There are sand pits out there at least 800yds across. Will possession of Hunting licenses cover us legally these days?

Or are the pits I mention turned into neighborhoods now?

Blacksunshine. Is Myakka "Gong" involved? Is it the deal where you go to a meeting, show NRA, introduce yourself, get voted on...120. to 200. per year....etc. etc.?
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 11:43:41 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 7/17/2008 12:06:36 PM EDT by blacksunshinez51]
. No you dont have to get voted on or any crap like that. Not sure what you mean by gong? Its a great range. As for Ocala, I think you may need to get a WMA(Wild Life Management Area) permit and hunting license...Not sure. I would look on MYFWC.com find the number for Ocalas WMA and give the rangers or Game warden a call to see whats a go/no go out there. I hunted their about a year ago for turkey....lots of specifics. After 1PM you couldnt be their with gun in your vehicle. So do a little research and call one of the park rangers or wardens for the area you want to go shoot at. Hope this helps.

ETA: edited for bad range price...ospery21's is correct
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:02:32 PM EDT
Manatee (Myakka) Gun Club costs $150 to become a member with a recurring $100 per year fee thereafter. Members pay $5.00 per day to shoot, non-members pay $18.00.

Special events have they're own fees.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 12:05:30 PM EDT

Originally Posted By osprey21:
Manatee (Myakka) Gun Club costs $150 to become a member with a recurring $100 per year fee thereafter. Members pay $5.00 per day to shoot, non-members pay $18.00.

my bad.....is it really 150 now? wow, I need to get out thier more often....its too hot this time of year for me to go shooting...I stop around the end of May.
Link Posted: 7/17/2008 2:54:53 PM EDT

Will they let me put out my own steel targets ??
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:27:02 PM EDT
I took the boys out for some camping and shooting last weekend in Ocala National Forest. There is a public range there that has covered benches with target stands (max range 100 yds). No Range Officer on duty so its on the honor system to enforce safety rules there. There is also a clay shotgun station at the right end. You bring your own clays and thrower. Rapid fire is allow every 3rd Tuesday 2pm til closing. My son and two others were there with the ARs Wednesday afternoon.

From http://www.fs.fed.us/r8/florida/recreation/index_oca.shtml

The Ocala Rifle Range was built with funds provided by the Pittman-Robertson Act to be used by the Florida Fish and Wildlife Conservation Commission’s Hunter Education Program. This Act levies an excise tax on all sporting arms and ammunition, which is then used for wildlife restoration and hunter education. When classes are not scheduled, the range is available to the public. The facility is open from sunrise to sunset and is unsupervised, so cooperation among shooters is a must! While backboards are provided, they must be maintained and the range is usually closed on Wednesdays for repairs. Shooters should bring their own targets and tacks or staples, and those using the shotgun range should bring their own targets. There is no fee to use the range. The range is located within a wildlife management area boundary, so transporting firearms to and from the range is limited to state and county roads and prohibited on forest service roads. Find the range’s location on FS 88 just 0.7 mile north of SR 40,

CD
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 2:34:04 PM EDT

Originally Posted By ReefRaider:

Will they let me put out my own steel targets ??

From what I've seen, as long as it's out at 200-300yrds or more and said target directs the bullet downward, they're good with it.

Best to call and speak with the Gunny (Gene), and Gene ONLY.
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:07:04 PM EDT
Thanks for the info
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 5:32:57 PM EDT
I've got 10 acres of swamp land out here thats been dry for a long time, i generally shoot at about 50-100yards out their, if anyone has a chainsaw and some spare time im sure we can make an awsome long distance range.

I only have one decent chainsaw (stihl)
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 8:44:17 PM EDT

Originally Posted By sleepy56ace:
I've got 10 acres of swamp land out here thats been dry for a long time, i generally shoot at about 50-100yards out their, if anyone has a chainsaw and some spare time im sure we can make an awsome long distance range.

I only have one decent chainsaw (stihl)

in what area?
Link Posted: 7/18/2008 9:38:51 PM EDT
Near tallahassee
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 4:48:02 AM EDT
that's a shame I live in port Charlotte .hands washing labor for shotting would have been a plus my lose
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 5:40:26 AM EDT

Near tallahassee

Drop me a IM, I'll help out. no chain saw, but i go have an ax.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:49:29 AM EDT
IM sent. an ax? i hope its gas powered
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:56:11 AM EDT

Originally Posted By 2000Z3M:

Near tallahassee

Me three, I'll help you clear it out as well.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 9:56:53 AM EDT

Originally Posted By LazarusLong:

Originally Posted By 2000Z3M:

Near tallahassee

Me three, I'll help you clear it out as well.

Got a chainsaw?
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 6:53:55 PM EDT
Crap id BUY a chain saw if I lived close enough. Im in the central area and would go nuts on an offer like that.

We'd be making the concrete shooting benches in no time!

And earlier tonight I drove by a construction dumpster on the way to dinner that had a short stack of manhole covers sitting next to it. (thats about what im calling a "gong").

Too bad.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 7:32:26 PM EDT
Well i completely forgot my buddy has my 2nd stihl saw so im up to 2 chainsaws and 2 guys with axes.....its a start.
Link Posted: 7/19/2008 8:30:52 PM EDT
Reckon I could scrounge up another chain saw somewhere
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 4:34:42 AM EDT
I'm in the Stuart area and would love to have an offer like that from anyone who needs help in building a nice range for shooting

Jim
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 11:59:37 AM EDT

Originally Posted By james018:
I'm in the Stuart area and would love to have an offer like that from anyone who needs help in building a nice range for shooting

Jim

I'm with ya James. I'm in PSL and Would love to hone my 300-500 yard skills but Have no friends with the land to do so. I also have a physical disability (cane)(no not caine) so clearing would be difficult without a tractor or something.
So, is there anyone in the Treasure Coast area who would allow a "select few" to utilize their land for such a purpose?
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 4:22:27 PM EDT

Originally Posted By lordmercury:

Jim

I'm with ya James. I'm in PSL and Would love to hone my 300-500 yard skills but Have no friends with the land to do so. I also have a physical disability (cane)(no not caine) so clearing would be difficult without a tractor or something.
So, is there anyone in the Treasure Coast area who would allow a "select few" to utilize their land for such a purpose?

I'm in Palm Beach. I have a chainsaw with a new blade (in need of a tuneup) and an axe (in need of sharpening). I got a weak back, a strong mind, a new AR 15, and no place to shoot it...
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 5:29:11 PM EDT
Guys we need to meet up and have a shoot somewhere. I want to burn up a bunch of ammo learning to shoulder bump a bunch of AK builds and I got nowhere to do it!
Link Posted: 7/29/2008 7:01:46 PM EDT
I will loan out my chainsaw and sharpening abilities in the Treasure Coast area in exchange for shooting privileges.
Link Posted: 7/30/2008 2:38:07 PM EDT
I'll bring enough tools to do an ak build on the spot providing you buy a parts kit and a flat with pre-bent top rails.

Link Posted: 8/3/2008 6:31:52 AM EDT
I am in Jupiter and I could help out. fuck the chainsaw ill rent a front end loader and plow the trees down to shoot.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 9:38:30 AM EDT

Jim

I am in PSL I'll chip in for a clearing and building party also.

Let me add... take a look at FL statutes 790.333 its the florida RANGE PROTECTION act.. yes we have protections for our PRIVATE ranges.
Link Posted: 8/3/2008 9:39:42 AM EDT

Originally Posted By ceetee:

Jim

I'm in Palm Beach. I have a chainsaw with a new blade (in need of a tuneup) and an axe (in need of sharpening). I got a weak back, a strong mind, a new AR 15, and no place to shoot it...
Once again PSL here..

I sharpen axes and tune saws... just for the record
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 6:13:39 AM EDT

Originally Posted By rexydg7:

Jim

Once again PSL here..

I'm in the PSL area as well. I'm pretty busy with 3 young kids, but if I can manage to get time to help out, if it's not too far, I'm up for it.

Also, my chainsaw probably needs a tune up as it hasn't been run since Hurricane Jeanne.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 6:16:09 AM EDT

Originally Posted By PosterChild:

Originally Posted By rexydg7:

Jim

Once again PSL here..

I'm in the PSL area as well. I'm pretty busy with 3 young kids, but if I can manage to get time to help out, if it's not too far, I'm up for it.

Also, my chainsaw probably needs a tune up as it hasn't been run since Hurricane Jeanne.

That's right, I quoted my own post.

Anyway, there are 2 or 3 other guys in this area, that are members, that probably would help too.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 11:58:38 AM EDT
Not to hijack this thread but if any of you know anyone in the county FP PSL west area that has some land maybe all of us PSL area guys can put together a private range.

Start asking around
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:15:08 PM EDT
I live near Bradenton FL anyone near here know of some location?
Some who's cool and enjoys hanging out at some home made range
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:34:00 PM EDT

Originally Posted By Muerte:
I live near Bradenton FL anyone near here know of some location?
Some who's cool and enjoys hanging out at some home made range

I have a buddy with 7 acres in palmetto but I haven't convinced him yet to build range.. I'm working on it. We do shoot there occasionally.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 5:52:25 PM EDT
I'll pay with beer if he even lets me hang out there
or if anything needs fixing I'll work for it.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 7:12:20 PM EDT
I'll help clear any land and build bench seats and tables out of pressure treated wood in south florida. We can build a small shade structure and pour a concrete floor. you provide the materials and I'll build it in exchange for some range time.
Link Posted: 8/4/2008 8:13:12 PM EDT
I have a skidsteer ( bobcat ) but im in orlando grrrrrr
Link Posted: 8/5/2008 6:07:11 AM EDT
I think that if you got some kind of paper work to make your friend not responsible
for anything that might or could occur in other words clear and free of all damages
I think that if he wanted to build some kind of range he could get free labor and some
free materials. I know that I would help out in what I could and that Im responsible for
my stupid mistakes. Thats me, who knows what some else would say. Talk to your friend, can you hunt or just shoot on his property. $$$$$ can be made
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 6:30:18 AM EDT
[Last Edit: 8/9/2008 6:38:42 AM EDT by guanoholic]
Let me know where and when if any one has access to land in PB, Martin or St Lucie counties, I live in Palm beach gardens. I will bring an Axe and chain saw. I even have access to a Bobcat if that would help. I can build anything we need (i.s Shelter, tables. target stands) just let me know.
Link Posted: 8/9/2008 3:00:20 PM EDT
shit I live in boca but i'll come to help to shoot my ass off for a weekend if anyone is willing to drive me up haha

i'll bring my AK :D
Link Posted: 8/10/2008 1:56:48 PM EDT
I'm in the same boat I have two ranges close to me, but one is run by a jackass and the other wants more in dues and time than I can afford.
Link Posted: 8/20/2008 6:09:29 PM EDT
I'm in too. I'll donate myself for hard labor and knockdown equiptment for a place to shoot other than my local short ranges.SOMEONE please find some nice individual with land....
Top Top