Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/5/2003 8:17:08 PM EDT
My oldest is home on leave and and as of last week he will be having to requal (Air Farce) with M16 in a few weeks, instead of next year as previously scheduled.  (Wonder if his future has changed) So we decided to take a run out to our usual desert spot beyond Barstow.  105 degrees and light and variable winds with occasional gusts.

I think I got close to deciding the weather was just a little too bad to shoot let alone shoot accurately at distance, up close and shotguns were fine.

I dunno when do you guys decide the desert is too much??

Took one of my son's friends who looks like he has decided to enlist,  Gave him a chance to shoot an AR, a 1911 and 12 gauge for the first time.
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 8:50:40 PM EDT
[#1]
Well, 105 degrees does approach the hot side of the equation, I'll give you that. (But it's a dry heat, right?)

At the Web Shooters "SECRET in the Heat" last year, participation was down a bit at the dez shooting spot in the Barstow area. I doubt it hit 100, though my memory isn't as good as it used to be. I don't recall much of a wind, though there was a slight breeze that seemed to take some of the edge off the temps.

It was warm enough to cause the rubber portion of the Hogue free-float tube on my Colt to shift a bit. On the plus side, I got to work on my tan--no covered shooting bays or trees or even bushes to hide under.

If it's the desert, facing similar conditions, just drink lots of water and let your aptitude for dealing with heat guide you. I'm sure there are a few here (especially from the AZ or NV or NM crowd) who wouldn't hesitate to shoot if it was 110 even. Personally, I'd prefer shooting in 110-degree heat in the dez than in 95-degree heat and 95-percent humidity in, say, OK. YMMV. BTW, good luck to your son and his buddy; bravo!
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 9:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
They have rifles in the USAF?!?!?!  Damn, I learn something new everyday.

-REAPER2502
Link Posted: 7/5/2003 10:08:57 PM EDT
[#3]
Lets just put it this way, some of the target water jugs and frozen bottles weren't used for targets.  Kept an eye on everybody and did my best to keep them over hydrated.  I had 5+ gals of water per person in the jugs designated as survival supplies not to be extended for normal drinking or targets.  Heavy canvas fly for shade and close enough to tracks to take cover in shade of a few bridges.  Actually the wind was brisk enough to help in cooling by evaporation.  They even had wind warnings on the 15 "North" of Barstow today.  (been off the Philippines when the air and ocean temp were in the high 90s and the humidity at 98 or 99, now that was miserable)

I ain't totally crazy but the A/C doesn't work on my truck.  Saw brush fires in Victorville, Diamond Bar and above Cucamonga.  Lots of CHP on 15 this morning.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 6:29:58 AM EDT
[#4]
At the DBS last week the truck thermometer read 116 as we pulled into the site.  It didn't stop us but it sure slowed us down.  I think we were approaching the maximum tolerable level as I think the heat cut our ranks by at least a third.  We still had a GREAT time!!

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:00:58 AM EDT
[#5]
I shoot between Barstow and Victorville (Iron Mountain/Bell Mountain area) and the key this time of year is to go really early before it starts cooking.

It's about 60 minutes of driving for me and I like to get there by about 7:00 and start shooting. We bring the dog and she's a pain as she doesn't understand that some of those snakes making noise are bad ones. By about 10:00-11:00 it's getting to 90 degrees and time to either bail out and head down the mountain or cook or eat an easy lunch.

I have one of those beach shelter things that's like a three sided tent. As a plus it makes gathering brass easier.

Lots of water - camelback plus lots of extra.
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 9:44:41 AM EDT
[#6]
HEAT???? We've done the DBS, or as it's known now as LVDS (LAS VEGAS DESERT SHOOT) in temps around 114 last summer, No big deal!!! Bring a lot of water and Gatorade, and a HAT, And keep the guns out of the sun!!!
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 5:00:30 PM EDT
[#7]
Iron Mountain/Bell Mountain area?  where is that?  I thought most of the area between Victorville and Barstow is off limits to fixed projectiles.  I know there are some south south of Barstow off 247 available but I never found a map definite to make it worth trying.  I know where I used to go off 247 is shotgun only.

We also enjoy train watching so saving a little time might not be worth it if it you have to go through or almost to Barstow to get there the "quick" way.  I'm not overly enamored of where we go but we know it is open, easy to get to and good down range security.  (Nobody can get down range without us seeing them coming).  It's south of the old Lavic siding on the BNSF on BLM land north of Lavic Dry Lake on 29 Palms Training Center.  BNSF took the road crossing at Lavic out so it's now about a mile on good dirt roads as opposed to the old half mile. Take Hector Rd. off 40, east on National Trails to the RR crossing, follow the BNSF access road about 3/4 mile east and then you'll see a road to the south, turn south about a 1/4 mile.  about a half mile further you get to the posted signs for the 29 Palms base.  We've seen traces of other shooters, but never saw them (dead car and dead washing machine)  We police all out stuff.  Have seen rockhounders out there and after the earthquake a lot of earthquake studiers.  You can also follow take old 66 past the RR crossing to where it takes an abrupt turn to the north and crossed the fwy.  Turn south there and follow the road to the RR tracks, at the tracks (where the crossing used to be) turn east and follow the tracks about a half mile and go under them at the bridge at the wash and then back west to where you follow the old road south.  The road apparently was used as a shortcut into the base by Marines.

Then again going through Barstow gives us a good excuse to stop at Robertiros for burritos.  Fasst food stand west side of town on Main Street.  Makes great burritos, only good reason to stop in Barstow.

Keeping things out of the sun was one of the tough lessons yesterday for the boys until they found they couldn't shoot something they let get hot.  Then they realized Dad wasn't having a senior moment.  We don't take the dogs, basset hounds wander too much in general, and mine (like me) don't have sense enough to stay out of the sun.

BTW - you get much shade out of the camo nettings???
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 7:25:50 PM EDT
[#8]
As far as I know ... and it's been five years since the ranger gave me the map to the Iron Mountain range it is open to rifles.

I'd have to look at a map to give you the directions as for me it's just routine. The area is about three miles due north from the little civil airport just north/west of the 15 just past Victorville.

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:27:32 PM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:
At the DBS last week the truck thermometer read 116 as we pulled into the site.  It didn't stop us but it sure slowed us down.  I think we were approaching the maximum tolerable level as I think the heat cut our ranks by at least a third.  We still had a GREAT time!!

Hey, do you have to have pink fingernails to be able to get some trigger time with that thing? (Edited to add: See first photo.)
Link Posted: 7/6/2003 8:41:11 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
Hey, do you have to have pink fingernails to be able to get some trigger time with that thing?

Nope, you just have to come out in a couple of weeks and join us.  The pink fingernails will just get you out of having to link your own ammo!  

Link Posted: 7/6/2003 10:34:00 PM EDT
[#11]
I've checked with BLM and they pretty much say any place the county says is ok is ok with them.  However everytime I've checked with the county including the County Sheriffs in Victorville I get the shrugged shoulders, the "Check with BLM" or check with County Fire.  I think I know the area roughly.  Do you come in west from 15 or east from old 66?

If it's a good place I think I'll scout it out the next time I'm up by there (which may be several months I'm not that crazy about the heat).  Much as I like the rockhounding and trainwatching available at the other spot, if the wife and non-shooting kids come an hour less drive is worth missing the burritos.
Link Posted: 7/15/2003 6:53:27 PM EDT
[#12]
When it get too hot I just do night shoots.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top