Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 3/5/2006 5:50:23 PM EDT
I just picked up a 12 Ton Press from Harbor Freight, and have a Bending Jig (rented) on the way.  It won't realy be a build party, but anyone needing to bend a few flats can drop by.  I don't expect the Jig for a few weeks.

Who's got a Spot Welder and a Blasting Cabinet?  :-P
Link Posted: 3/5/2006 6:33:46 PM EDT
[#1]
Bending stuff is fun Bought a bunch of kits and flats last year but this is about as far as I have gotten. Been on the back burner for a bit but a member here just sent me some drive screws that I am going to experiment with in the near future since that appears to be a fairly simple process.

Link Posted: 3/6/2006 6:57:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I've got 5 flats to bend.  The recent build party was so backed up on the press, and it took so long with hammering the top rail that I only got 1 done.
I planned to order 100% receivers from DCI but will press my flats instead if possible.  Glad to help on the rental.  Where are you located?  I'm in Oldsmar, at the N. tip of tampa bay.
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:01:00 PM EDT
[#3]
Where in FL ?
Link Posted: 3/6/2006 3:09:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Left coast? S/W fl? ?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:22:01 AM EDT
[#5]
The sticky thread called "member locator" shows me in Cirtrus County.  Homosassa
I was also unable to bend all the flats I wanted at the aprty.  I sold 2 tho.  I have 4 left, and drasticaly overpaid on jig rental figuring others would be interested.  I could use a few more flats.

I don't have a blasting cabinet, but I do have a suitable air compressor.  No spot welder either.  I do have a few drill presses, dremel etc...  I suppose other limited functions could be performed, but it won't be a real build party.

I have a big-ass lathe/mill that I don't know how to use too...
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 10:30:32 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:
Bending stuff is fun ht

mmmm  pretty....  What's a drive screw?  I assume it's a replacement for the press' function?
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 11:04:46 AM EDT
[#7]
Drive screws can be pounded in without setting like a rivet or taping like a screw.  They've a very, very coarse thread.  Look in the post on the Build forum http://www.ak47.net/forums/topic.html?b=4&f=51&t=80577   And for people who hate and fear drive screws look at  http://www.gunsnet.net/forums/showthread.php?t=272403
They've got plenty of shear strength but not really enough resistance to backing out under a lot of firing cycles for my peace of mind, so I'm riveting.  I'd use regular screws before drive screws.
Bending will be plenty for me, as I've enough AKs to keep me occupied at home for the next year doing the rest of the build.  I'll be glad to help with the rental $.

Link Posted: 3/7/2006 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#8]
i am down in hernando. i dont mind helping any 1 out but i am in need of a trigger rivet jig to finish my tools i have for AK builds.. i have a20 ton press, flat jig, and spot welder also a beadblaster other hand tools and rivet squeezers. so maybe if we can get a few guys together and a few buxs i can offer my tools to help out in return for a guard riveter jig. i dont have alot of time to help people with complete builds but i can help get your receiver complete as far are being bent and spot welded even beadblasted
Link Posted: 3/7/2006 7:37:50 PM EDT
[#9]
I have the blast cabinet, and need a barrel pin pushed out, I also plan to make a jig to press the barrels back in, let me know when you wanna do this....interested in selling that lathe ????

jjk308, read up on those drive screws some guys are having them pop back out on them at the range
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:33:43 PM EDT
[#10]
dont use drive screws man,

do it right with rivits or screws

I can bring a set of squeezers

someone gots a spot welder?
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 12:41:11 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

do it right with rivits or screws

I fixed it for you~
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 4:15:42 PM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

do it right with rivets or screws

I fixed it for you~

And I fixed it again for you both.
Link Posted: 3/8/2006 9:07:47 PM EDT
[#13]
I really don't have an ETA on when my rented jig will get here.  I'm number 4 on the list, but two jigs are in rotation.  2-3 weeks estimated...

I could pencil in the 25th?

Getting to my place isn;t for the faint of heart.  If you're afraid of driving in sand, you might want to carpool with someone who has a 4WD...  ;-)
Link Posted: 3/10/2006 2:22:56 PM EDT
[#14]
25th is OK with me.  I'm in Oldsmar.  Homosassa is just a straight shot up 19?  Somewhere?  Anyone need a ridw I'm available.
Link Posted: 3/14/2006 8:27:29 AM EDT
[#15]
Anyone who wants to show up should PM their email address and location to me, so I can give them directions.
Link Posted: 3/21/2006 7:31:58 AM EDT
[#16]
There's a hold-up with the Jig I rented...  Won't be getting here on time.  Crap...
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top