Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 7/13/2008 5:22:49 PM EDT
I know some of you have read the book.  If you haven't read the book, I highly recommend it.

Today is the first episode of the HBO minseries.  So far, it's very good.

They even have a couple of the guys playing themselves.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:30:50 PM EDT
[#1]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:33:57 PM EDT
[#2]
A Rolling Stone reporter, embedded with The 1st Recon Marines chronicles his experiences during the first wave of the American-led assault on Baghdad in 2003.

WiKi
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:35:56 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 5:55:19 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:15:49 PM EDT
[#5]
I didn't know all you guys could read...

Guess I'm going to have to get literate...
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:20:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:24:06 PM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Quoted:
I didn't know all you guys could read...

Guess I'm going to have to get literate...

Hold on! Reading is still optional..... last I heard. Don't go gettin' crazy on us.

They make all the good books into movies anyways.  
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:28:23 PM EDT
[#8]
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:32:17 PM EDT
[#9]
I've been reading the book for a couple weeks now and it's badass.  I can't wait until that shit comes out on video.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 7:42:48 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
A Rolling Stone reporter, embedded with The 1st Recon Marines chronicles his experiences during the first wave of the American-led assault on Baghdad in 2003.

WiKi

Rolling Stone?
Thats reason enough to stay away. "Reporters"? More like leftist BOWELmoveon.org
crap.
I think I'll wait a bit to see how biased any video is.
Link Posted: 7/13/2008 8:54:38 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WiKi

Rolling Stone?
Thats reason enough to stay away. "Reporters"? More like leftist BOWELmoveon.org
crap.

So far the movie is a spot on remake of the book.  But as always, YMMV.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:38:42 PM EDT
[#12]

I bought a lifetime subscription to Rolling Stone after reading the reporters first article.  He did good.  And the lifetime subscription was $100...

After reading "Generation Kill" read "One Bullet Away" by Lt Frick (sp?).  He has a take on some things from a couple of Humvees back.

Link Posted: 7/13/2008 9:41:36 PM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WiKi

Rolling Stone?
crap.

Read the book.  I thought the exact something but needed in-flight reading material and it was there so I picked it up back in April.  It take a LOT to draw me in and keep my attention and this book did it.  The author did a really good job...

As for the HBO version, I was |---this---| close to ordering it just for this series.  Knowing what they've done in the past (Sopranos, Band of Brothers, Deadwood, etc...).  But I didn't...   Does anyone know if HBO is going to reshow tonight episode through the week???
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:40:05 AM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Quoted:

WiKi

Rolling Stone?
crap.

Having read the book, I can tell you, that you are way off base on this one.  However, the marines in the book (and the show, so far), had very much the same opinion when the reporter showed up.

"Generation Kill" is, in my opinion, one of the finest books written about modern US engagements to date.  I rate it up there with "Blackhawk Down".
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:46:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Anybody have a copy they'd wanna lend me? Or trade for sumpin? I hadn't heard of it till reading this thread, but, I'm now looking forward to reading it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:22:57 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
Does anyone know if HBO is going to reshow tonight episode through the week???

Not sure about that.  But the whole series will be on ON DEMAND, if you have Comcast.  They even have a few extras and some making of shorts there.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:24:37 AM EDT
[#17]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Not sure about that.  But the whole series will be on ON DEMAND, if you have Comcast.  They even have a few extras and some making of shorts there.

You only get HBO "on demand" if you have HBO right?
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 6:34:24 AM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
Anybody have a copy they'd wanna lend me? Or trade for sumpin? I hadn't heard of it till reading this thread, but, I'm now looking forward to reading it.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 7:11:44 AM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

You only get HBO "on demand" if you have HBO right?

Correct.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 3:15:53 PM EDT
[#20]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WiKi

Rolling Stone?
crap.

Having read the book, I can tell you, that you are way off base on this one.  However, the marines in the book (and the show, so far), had very much the same opinion when the reporter showed up.

"Generation Kill" is, in my opinion, one of the finest books written about modern US engagements to date.  I rate it up there with "Blackhawk Down".

OK. I'll check it out. I have seen years of leftist crap spewed by ANYTHING associated with Rolling Stone. Pardon my lerry attitude.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:01:53 PM EDT
[#21]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

WiKi

Rolling Stone?
crap.

OK. I'll check it out. I have seen years of leftist crap spewed by ANYTHING associated with Rolling Stone. Pardon my lerry attitude.

He does a pretty damned good job of keeping the overall politics (and his own opinion) out of the book, and leaves it as a story about the marines.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:07:47 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody have a copy they'd wanna lend me? Or trade for sumpin? I hadn't heard of it till reading this thread, but, I'm now looking forward to adding it to my spank bank.

Learn from my experience. When (& if) you get it back, it will be sticky. I went ahead and let him keep Firefly after I found out how he was using it.
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:10:01 PM EDT
[#23]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:
Anybody have a copy they'd wanna lend me? Or trade for sumpin? I hadn't heard of it till reading this thread, but, I'm now looking forward to adding it to my spank bank.

Learn from my experience. When (& if) you get it back, it will be sticky. I went ahead and let him keep Firefly after I found out how he was using it.

Noted.  <<stomps off to Amazon to order a fresh copy>>
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:31:14 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Noted.  <<stomps off to Amazon to order a fresh copy>>

I'm sure that's a good idea PCR-00.  If I recall correctly, he is still sore at your for blowing up his shitter in the RV.  There's no telling what he could do to that book.

Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:42:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Killing GMW to the promised land.......
Link Posted: 7/14/2008 5:42:49 PM EDT
[#26]
killed page 2
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 8:16:45 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
I know I gave my copy of the book away.  

I passed it on to somebody, but don't remember who.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 12:21:08 PM EDT
[#28]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:25:28 PM EDT
[#29]
watched most of the 1st part last night.......looking like a good show
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 1:29:47 PM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know that it got passed on.

I'll have to dig through my book piles and give some more away.

While you are digging how about throwing some ammo my way?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:34:01 PM EDT
[#31]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Good to know that it got passed on.

I'll have to dig through my book piles and give some more away.

I loaned out my copy of UI a few years back, can't remember who it was either.  Hopefully they passed it on.  I'd love to see it come home eventually though.
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 2:55:01 PM EDT
[#32]
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 3:38:42 PM EDT
[#33]
I bought the book today....
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 4:39:31 PM EDT
[#34]
powlice that moostache!!
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:10:03 PM EDT
[#35]

Don't forget the library for those whose funds may be low.  Many of them have online ability where you can rerserve a book and they send you an e-mail when it is time to pick up the book.

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 5:51:42 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:
Don't forget the library for those whose funds may be low.  Many of them have online ability where you can rerserve a book and they send you an e-mail when it is time to pick up the book.

THE WHAAA????  What is this library you speak of?
Link Posted: 7/16/2008 6:28:25 PM EDT
[#37]

Quoted:

Quoted:

THE WHAAA????  What is this library you speak of?

You know!  The Card Catalog!!!

Link Posted: 7/16/2008 7:49:56 PM EDT
[#38]
There's some good shit here, check it out

Young Americans
Link Posted: 7/21/2008 3:32:10 PM EDT
[#39]
Rich Lowry, author of Marines In The Garden of Eden (story of Fallujah) of OpFor is less than impressed with Generation Kill.

When it comes to the battle for Nasiriyah, I will probably end up being Burns’ and Wright’s worst critic. I know too much about that fight to be dazzled by their literary license. The Generation Kill story is unfolding to be quite an adventure and we still cannot tell which direction the writers will be taking us. It appears that they will portray 1st Recon’s enlisted Marines as gruff good guys and officers and other units as lacking in courage, intelligence and morals. Last night, I was particularly offended by the implication that 2d LAR indiscriminately killed civilians north of Nasiriyah. I was also disgusted with the distortion of the truth in the events surrounding the fight in Nasiriyah.

Let’s start with March 23, 2003. The day Task Force Tarawa attacked into Nasiriyah. All of our 1st Recon “heroes” were stuck in the traffic jam, south of the city. Eleven soldiers and eighteen Marines were killed in, and around, Nasiriyah that day and about twenty Marines were wounded. Captain Eric Garcia flew the last CASEVAC at sunset. There were no other casualty evacuations that night. It was horrible to lose twenty-nine Americans in a single fight, but the number of casualties was nowhere close to the 200 claimed in Generation Kill.

Which leads me to 24 March; when our 1st Recon “heroes” arrived at the Euphrates River Bridge, there was quite a fight going on. This is absolutely true, but it was the 2d Battalion, 8th Marines, not RCT-1, that got into a large scrap at the bridge that day. The fight did not erupt until after LtCol Eddie Ray had taken his 2d LAR Battalion through “Ambush Alley.” By the way, not a single shot was fired when Ray charged through the city. 2/8 sustained a few injuries in their fight, but none were serious. There was never an artillery friendly fire incident at the river. No Marines were wounded or killed by friendly artillery fire. I challenge the writers to support this claim.

It is very true that Colonel Dowdy, RCT-1’s commander, hesitated and would not order his regiment through “Ambush Alley.” Generals Conway and Mattis were extremely unhappy with his lack of aggressiveness. This was the second of several incidents which caused Dowdy to be the first Marine regimental commander to be relieved on the field of battle. Notwithstanding, the Marines of RCT-2 fought courageously in Nasiriyah. Colonel Ron Bailey, RCT-2’s commander, drove through Ambush Alley just after 2d LAR with only a few vehicles to visit his battalion, north of the city.

Godfather 6 concluded last night’s installment with a couple disagreeable statements. He claimed that the enemy “stared us down” in Nasiriyah and "some Americans won't back down from a fight." In fact, the enemy was decimated in Nasiriyah. 1st Battalion, 2nd Marines, another Task Force Tarawa battalion, lost eighteen brave Marines because they pressed the attack and did not give up until they had met their objectives which were the two bridges in Nasiriyah. By sunset on the 23rd, both bridges were secure and RCT-2 was waiting for RCT-1 to pass through the city. Again – the war did not revolve around the 1st Recon Battalion.

I studied the battle of Nasiriyah for quite some time. I interviewed nearly one hundred soldiers, sailors and Marines who were actually there in the fight. I am not happy with the way the writers have bent the facts to fit their story and overlooked the courageous stories of men like Major Bill Peeples; Captain Eric Garcia; Lieutenants Fred Pokorney, Brian Letendre, “Ben” Reed and Mike Seely; Sergeant William Schaffer; Corporals Nick Elliot and Pat Nixon and many, many more. Burns and Wright have lost their credibility. I will have a hard time believing anything in the last five segments.

Lowry's blog: Marines In The Garden of Eden.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top