Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Posted: 8/26/2004 9:33:21 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 9:33:47 AM EST by ByteTheBullet]
I just found out that a few of the cast members of Firefly will be at this years DragonCon here in Atlanta, like, next weekend. I admit that I was a D&D official at a D&D convention ONCE a long time ago, but I might just go to see if I can 'meet' the cast. They posted that this will be after they wrap the shooting of Serenity and you never know what may happen. Anyone ever been to DragonCon? I need to track down the days they will be there.

ByteTheBullet (-:

Oh, nomex gloves are on you loosers!
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:13:19 AM EST
I admit it. I'm going to DragonCon.

For no particular reason though.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:22:31 AM EST
Have you ever been? I am trying to understand the schedule as I don't want to go on days I don't have to. Any input?

Got a good camera?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:25:42 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 10:26:53 AM EST by the_reject]
Alright, here's the typical schedule:

Thursday night - early check in for pre-registered people
Friday - registration opens, some stuff happens
Saturday - most of the stuff happens
Sunday - a little bit less stuff than Saturday happens, mostly in part due to the costume contest that night
Monday - not much happens, people go home

This will be my fourth year in a row attending the 'con, and it's pretty much always gone like that.

Edi: No. Donna dropped the Nikon CoolPix 800 we'd had for quite a while, so now I'm looking at a proper replacement. I'm leaning towards the Nikon D70, but would appreciate any advise on the matter.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:28:14 AM EST
So am I gonna get away with going one day or am I stuck going for a few.

btw, thanks for the concise timeline.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:30:57 AM EST

Originally Posted By ByteTheBullet:
So am I gonna get away with going one day or am I stuck going for a few.

Honestly, I'd aim for Saturday only, since that is when most of the cool stuff happens. As soon as I see an actual schedule, I can let you know exactly.

btw, thanks for the concise timeline.
Like I said, I don't have a schedule.

If you go, give me a call. I'll have plenty of beer and hard cider up in our hotel room.

Now, learn me digital SLRs...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 10:46:22 AM EST
You are getting a room? Wow!

Here is a link to the schedule. Not too new user friendly.

[Homer]uuugghhhhh, SLR digitaaaaaaaallllllll[Homer]

I want one, they are really nice, still a bit expensive for me. I will have one. Did you have one in mind?

ByteTheBullet (-:

Thanks for the info, really.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:13:39 PM EST
Nikon D70 or Canon EOS 300D. Leaning towards the Nikon at this point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:24:01 PM EST
I was at Dragoncon the year that Hunt for red october came out.....It was fun to party with the author.......hehhehehe
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:29:39 PM EST
My brother is still into D&D (he's 40) and he always tries to get me to go.

Will they allow me to bring in my AR if I say it's part of my costume?

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:34:01 PM EST
Looking at the schedule and doing some digging, here's the points of interest for the FireFly fan:

1:00 P.M. Saturday
Firefly Crew Roll Call (formerly A Jewel Amongst the Stars)
Join us as we welcome our first ever Firefly guests, the lovely and talented Jewel Staite...and, oh, maybe a couple of her friends...like Nathan Fillion and Adam Baldwin!
Guests: Adam Baldwin, Nathan Fillion, Jewel Staite
Centennial I

10:00 P.M. Saturday
Firefly: The Lost Episodes
For those who haven’t yet acquired a DVD player, here’s your chance to see all three of Firefly’s unaired episodes.
Presenter: Rich Gedney
Courtland

4:00 P.M. Sunday
Firefly: Adventure Times Three (formerly Heeeerrree’s Kaylee!)
An hour with the best Gorram ship’s crew in Alliance space.
Guests: Adam Baldwin, Nathan Fillion, Jewel Staite
Centennial II-III!

7:00 P.M. Sunday
Firefly: Serenity Now!
Buoyed up by a successful DVD release, Firefly moves to the big screen with the first of 3 movies.
Panelists: Rich Gedney, Donna Governor, Henry Hanks, Eric & Jennifer Hendrix
Courtland

4:00 P.M. Monday
Firefly: Conspiracy Theories
Firefly’s short run raised many questions: Who is Book? Why is a high class companion like Inara on a tramp ship like Serenity? Join us for rampant speculation on these and other Firefly mysteries.
Panelists: Rich Gedney, Donna Governor, Henry Hanks, Eric & Jennifer Hendrix, Larry Morris
Courtland

Courtland and Centennial rooms are in the Hyatt Regency hotel. Here's where I got my information:

www.geocities.com/Area51/Corridor/6825/itrack.html
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 12:46:22 PM EST

Originally Posted By Breycor:

www.dragoncon.org/policies.htm

9. Please abide by our weapons policy: All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons includes water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated and rule #7 enforced. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons - thanks!
In short, no.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 1:51:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By the_reject:

www.dragoncon.org/policies.htm

9. Please abide by our weapons policy: All weapons must be non-working and peace bonded. No functioning projectile weapons includes water pistols, silly-string guns, and ping-pong pistols. Bladed weapons must be cased or sheathed at all times. No clowning around or showing off in the common areas. Any weapon used in an offensive manner will be confiscated and rule #7 enforced. We expect you to use good judgment; with your help, we can continue to allow peace-bonded weapons - thanks!
In short, no.

Rats.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:12:47 PM EST

Rats.

Rats, however, are allowed...

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:18:43 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 2:29:09 PM EST by ByteTheBullet]
You missed this one...

Friday, Sep. 3

NOTE: Main Programming presents Adam Baldwin, Nathan Fillion and Jewel Staite at 7 p.m. in Centennial I.

Now I gotta figure out which day to go...Not sure I can justify two days of tickets. Gotta see if Mrs. ByteTheBullet wants to go. Oh, yeah, it's labor day...great.

Does anyone(the_reject) know if this is like a book signing deal or a stand around and talk sort of thing?

ByteTheBullet (-:

Link Posted: 8/26/2004 2:42:20 PM EST
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:19:53 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 4:20:41 PM EST by s0ulzer0]

Nikon D70 or Canon EOS 300D. Leaning towards the Nikon at this point.

I'd go with the Nikon over that Canon. I always trust Digital Photography Review.
www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 4:24:07 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 4:25:18 PM EST by s0ulzer0]

I admit that I was a D&D official at a D&D convention ONCE a long time ago...

I've played D&D & AD&D since I was 10 yrs old, 1979. I have a huge collection of gaming crap too. I am a D&D Nerd and proud of it!
Hell, just look at my avatar, It's from the Forgotten Realms...figure it out.

~ s0ulzer0
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:18:17 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/26/2004 5:21:16 PM EST by the_reject]

Does anyone(the_reject) know if this is like a book signing deal or a stand around and talk sort of thing?

Honestly, I'd pick Saturday. It doesn't sound like its an autographing session, but after the cast roll call thingy they may mention that they will be over in the dealer's room signing autographs. Saturday is the best day for that stuff.

Edit: autographs ain't free. Bring money.
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 5:20:21 PM EST

Originally Posted By s0ulzer0:
I'd go with the Nikon over that Canon. I always trust Digital Photography Review.
www.dpreview.com/reviews/nikond70/

Honestly, there isn't that much difference between the two. The question is, which lens system do I want to go with, F-mount Nikon or EF-mount Canon. My experience with Nikon has been stellar, which is why I am leaning towards them, but the moire issues with the D70 concern me a bit. Not enough to change my mind, but a bit...
Link Posted: 8/26/2004 6:47:52 PM EST
/arrives late to thread/

Firefly? Did someone say Firefly?

I can't believe it... I have to work.

-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:55:09 AM EST

Originally Posted By Hobbit:
/arrives late to thread/

Firefly? Did someone say Firefly?

I can't believe it... I have to work.

-Hobbit

Dude, it is on a THREE DAY HOLIDAY WEEKEND!!!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:05:06 AM EST

Honestly, I'd pick Saturday. It doesn't sound like its an autographing session, but after the cast roll call thingy they may mention that they will be over in the dealer's room signing autographs. Saturday is the best day for that stuff.

Edit: autographs ain't free. Bring money.

Would Friday at 7:00 be less crowded? Better chance to glad hand? Homie don't pay nobody for no autograph. I am not that interested in autographs anyway.

Honestly, there isn't that much difference between the two. The question is, which lens system do I want to go with, F-mount Nikon or EF-mount Canon. My experience with Nikon has been stellar, which is why I am leaning towards them, but the moire issues with the D70 concern me a bit. Not enough to change my mind, but a bit...

No real input on this yet, gonna look into it today, I just wanted to quote you saying 'honestly' twice. It is such a rare occurrence.

Oh, you forgot to mention which hotel you are in...

Whoa!! Buck Rogers and Wilma Deering(sp?) are gonna be there...crap, that throws a monkey in the works.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 3:40:59 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 3:41:49 AM EST by the_reject]

Would Friday at 7:00 be less crowded? Better chance to glad hand? Homie don't pay nobody for no autograph. I am not that interested in autographs anyway.

No. Friday night everyone is trying to get their steenking badges. Remember, there will be 50,000 fat sweaty smelly geeks converging on the Hyatt Regency hotel.

Oh, you forgot to mention which hotel you are in...
The Marriott Marquis, right across the street.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:23:34 AM EST
Sorry, my bad, let me rephrase, I can get there at 4pm(or earlier) on Friday to sign in, would there be less people at the 7:00 'crew call' thing since everyone else will be stuck signing in? I would think so, but I don't go to these shindigs...catch that Firefly reference? Slick, huh?!

I can ask for the_reject's room at the front desk, right?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 4:34:41 AM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 4:36:32 AM EST by the_reject]

Sorry, my bad, let me rephrase, I can get there at 4pm(or earlier) on Friday to sign in, would there be less people at the 7:00 'crew call' thing since everyone else will be stuck signing in? I would think so, but I don't go to these shindigs...catch that Firefly reference? Slick, huh?!

Probably so. That sounds like a solid plan (edit: aim for 3pm for sign-in, you should miss the lines at that point). As far as the reference, I've never seen a single episode of Firefly, and only vaguely recall 1 or 2 commercials for it.

I can ask for the_reject's room at the front desk, right?
Better off calling me. I've got 5 friends coming in from out of state at various and sundry times that I'll be helping pack in and get registered, so who knows where the fuck I'll be at 4pm or 7pm.
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 5:18:21 AM EST
NERDS!!!!!!

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:07:50 AM EST
Well, Buck Rogers isn't showing til Sunday according to the schedule. So, it looks like Friday is my best bet. I hope I get my costume finished in time. Anyone want to TRY to guess what I am dressing like?!?

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 9:48:09 AM EST

Well, Buck Rogers isn't showing til Sunday according to the schedule. So, it looks like Friday is my best bet. I hope I get my costume finished in time. Anyone want to TRY to guess what I am dressing like?!?

Pre-operative transvestite? Or is it post-?

Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:25:51 PM EST
NERDS!!!!!!

hahahaha, i went a couple years ago because my favorite band from my home town (in MD) was playing. aside from the furries, cos play freaks, and 40yr old virgins it was a decent well mannered crowd
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:41:48 PM EST

Originally Posted By Max_Power:
NERDS!!!!!!

www.game-revolution.com/chatter/mailbag/ogre.jpg

I believe the 'nerds' kicked some ass, though I have never watched that movie...hits to close to home.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 12:56:05 PM EST

Pre-operative transvestite? Or is it post-?

Nope, try again...

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 1:16:02 PM EST
[Last Edit: 8/27/2004 1:16:30 PM EST by ByteTheBullet]
Ok, so I was perusing some pics of last years Dragon*Con(note the correct title) and I saw a 'Princess Leia in the Prisoner outfit'. What's the big deal? The outfit was PAINTED on!!! No shit. Nerd THAT!!!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:05:14 PM EST
A three day holiday weekend means that I help take care of 160-180 animals while their owners go out of town. Big money, little freedom.
-Hobbit
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 2:45:27 PM EST
Sorry, but in a good way.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/27/2004 6:17:07 PM EST

but the moire issues with the D70 concern me a bit....

Like that matters with the way your arms shake & jitter.
Link Posted: 8/29/2004 9:27:10 AM EST

but the moire issues with the D70 concern me a bit....

Like that matters with the way your arms shake & jitter.

Just because I shake like Michael J. Fox on a caffeine kick doesn't mean anything...
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 8:44:56 AM EST
[Shaking head and walking away]
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 12:53:53 PM EST
Ok, back on track...is anotone else getting excited about Fri?

Still trying to finish my costume, though the painted on Princess Leia Prisoner outfit is giving me ideas.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/30/2004 5:29:19 PM EST

Ok, back on track...is anotone else getting excited about Fri?

Not particularly. I go to DragonCon every year for one reason - to hang out with my friends for an extended weekend. It's like a mini-vacation for all of us. We rarely go to any of the panels, we leave some panels early, there are only a handful of things that actually interest us. It's more just spending the weekend with good friends.

And lots and lots of homebrewed alcohol, which I just finished kegging up tonight.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 10:43:09 AM EST
So, you got anything that tastes like Budweiser? But seriously, when are you guys checking in? I am not sure how long I will be standing in line, I am just worried I will get bored and start harassing the weirdos, and end up getting arrested. I am still trying to decide about hanging around a little afterwards. There are a few Firefly forums that I check out periodically and they are getting together after the 'deal'. Man, talk about slow forums, I am just spoiled with ARFCom I guess. I will IM you(the_reject) my cell number later.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 12:14:01 PM EST

I'll be there Friday and Saturday nights.
Should be a couple of us in 'Braveheart' gear one night or the other...probably Saturday.
We go over to Hooters dressed up and annoy the locals.
Then drinking and party-hopping til the wee hours.

Not too many panels for us either...mostly there to party and people watch/be watched.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:02:21 PM EST
I'll be in my usual "Fat Kirk" Star Trek costume. I'll be yelling the attack music from episode XII
while pulling out my Type II Phaser every time I see someone dressed as a Klingon!!
You can't miss me.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:24:33 PM EST
Ok, really, are you guys gonna be there!?! I have already posted when I will be there. If you guys are serious, IM me your cell numbers and I will give you mine. I wouldn't mind making a night of it, but there is nothing more lonely than a uncostumed geek surrounded by nerdy wannabes. No offense, really.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 2:39:45 PM EST
So are ya'll going to have Scotty beam you to Hooters afterwards.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:07:44 PM EST
Scotty was at his last show last weekend, he is too ill to make any more appearences...

Now hOOters on the other hand, I hadn't thought about that!

ByteTheBullet (-:
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:13:44 PM EST

I'll be in my usual "Fat Kirk" Star Trek costume. I'll be yelling the attack music from episode XII
while pulling out my Type II Phaser every time I see someone dressed as a Klingon!!
You can't miss me.

This post is a drawers soiler!
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:22:18 PM EST

So, you got anything that tastes like Budweiser?

God, I hope not.

But seriously, when are you guys checking in?
We'll have our passes on Thursday, I'll be at the Marriott early on Friday, checking in as soon as they'll let me.

I will IM you(the_reject) my cell number later.
Works for me. All things considered, I should have cold beer and cider by 1600.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:24:38 PM EST

You can't miss me.

I'll be sure to direct the coffee table boob girls in your general direction.

Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:28:10 PM EST

Originally Posted By badeffect10:
So are ya'll going to have Scotty beam you to Hooters afterwards.

Good luck. Poor guy is laid up with Alzheimer's, Parkinson's, diabetes, and lung fibrosis. Poor guy probably doesn't even remember how to operate a transporter anymore, and if he does, he'd either hit 50 buttons at once, need a candy bar so he didn't crash out, or run out of breath.
Link Posted: 8/31/2004 3:30:35 PM EST

You can't miss me.

The Type II Phaser is so 'last millinia'. You need to slingshot around the sun and time travel back to the future to shave the whales and then visualizes whirled peas.

ByteTheBullet (-:
Arrow Left Previous Page
Page / 2
Top Top