Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 12/14/2005 9:09:39 PM EDT
This is kind of a tag along onto the Night match lessons learned thread but...I am always curious as to what gear really works for folks and what doesn't. Hopefully one of these days I can get a Satruday off to come shoot PR with you guys but what gear do you all use; like a chest harness for mags or atc holster for the pistol or weakside tac holster for more mags, or tac vest for everything, etc. I ask to cause I always look at the Pictures for Gun nuts thread that Lumpy196 always starts in GD and am seeing  A LOT of chest rigs and such and only a few tac holsters which ar emainly dedicated to the sidearm. So what are you guys currently using? What works and what doesn't, according to your experience?
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:29:09 PM EDT
[#1]
I started with nothing, went ot full vest and loadout and am slowly fading back to belt witha couple pouches only. It really depends on you. You can run full vest and all the trim and have a good time and shoot well or stick mags in your pockets and win the match. There is no set way to show up. This match is a testing grounds for you and your gear.

Ws4LIF has a very good take on this and looks at it this way; DO you dress to win the match or to train as you would load out for a SHTF or other type situation. Which brings up several things to think about. Do you race your gun out and get the latest 3gun gear and show up only to place well? Or like the majority, show up and test the different gear and guns you have. I have seen fulltilt boogy guns fail and ones with lights duct taped on them run perfect. THere really is no wrong or right, just what works for you that day.
CH

ETA
I drive 240+ miles round trip and still get very upset if I have to miss a match! It is the best $15 bucks you willl spend all month.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:30:01 PM EDT
[#2]
I have only invested in a set of knee pads ( down to 1, 'cause I lost the other...) and a drop-leg 2-mag holder. Other than a 3 point sling, that's it for me. I have yet to use more than 3 mags in one stage so far ( 4.5 years....) so I've never seen the need for a vest......that's what a range bag is for.

That being said, It's really up to your budget and imagination. Some guys come out in full battle dress, some in shorts.....but don't be surprised if I point and snicker and say things like " gear queer " and " that hat makes you look ghey "......
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:31:53 PM EDT
[#3]
I use a web-belt and drop leg mag holder. It's a little slower, but it's cheaper (think airsoft) and more comfortable. It should be comfy in the summer as well. At little slower in the run, but for me, it's easier for me to be faster overall if I pace myself.

For the miscellaneous pieces I have some extra pistol mag holders (flashlight and pocket knife) and old GI AR mag holders. One I cut the top off and lined to make a cheap dump pouch (albiet a small one).

The camo stuff is to be cheap, but rugged clothes that I can get oil, blood, and mud on without worrying.

So the belt was $20, the pistol mag pouch $5, the drop leg rifle mag pouch $12, and some "monster knee pads" $15.

But, I ran the two previous matches with jeans, sweatshirt, and mags stuck in my back pockets just fine.

My slow downs are usually from my shooting and not gear related.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:36:28 PM EDT
[#4]
Wasatch!
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 9:37:53 PM EDT
[#5]

Quoted:
I have only invested in a set of knee pads ( down to 1, 'cause I lost the other...) and a drop-leg 2-mag holder. Other than a 3 point sling, that's it for me. I have yet to use more than 3 mags in one stage so far ( 4.5 years....) so I've never seen the need for a vest......that's what a range bag is for.

That being said, It's really up to your budget and imagination. Some guys come out in full battle dress, some in shorts.....but don't be surprised if I point and snicker and say things like " gear queer " and " that hat makes you look ghey "......

I've get an extra set! (the neons).

I also picked up these and they are VERY comfortable. www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=101501-1492-1L-22373
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:08:16 PM EDT
[#6]
It's good to hear that hardly anyone is "gearing up" for these. When I first started reading here about you all doing PR I have to admit I had the vision of most of you all camo'd up with the latest and greatest gear. It seems that the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) is employed at these matches with respect to gear. Just leaves more money for ammo.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 10:15:53 PM EDT
[#7]
I like to call it the C.I.B. method..........'cause I'm broke.......
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:10:03 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
It's good to hear that hardly anyone is "gearing up" for these. When I first started reading here about you all doing PR I have to admit I had the vision of most of you all camo'd up with the latest and greatest gear. It seems that the KISS method (Keep It Simple Stupid) is employed at these matches with respect to gear. Just leaves more money for ammo.

Well, there are others (not particularly on this board) that get into the full camo, hydro-pak, etc. etc.
Link Posted: 12/14/2005 11:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
alot of guys tend to use their pockets for mags I have noticed... the BDUs with the saddle bags have worked well so far..

i was trying to work out a mag pouch but desided to forget about it after i noticed it was going to be heavy and uncomferable..

the only things i would like to get is some cold weather gear from Post Exchagne, a Leg Mag pouch and Web belt.. besides that all your gear, *loader, ammo, tools, spare parts* are in your range bag..

i think the KISS method is the best one IMHO if i was going out there with the gear i would have on in a true SHTF senerio i would have on a full BackPacking rig that would propably weigh in at around 100 lbs+ on my back..

the only other thing i could recomend is get a Rifle case thats somewhat desent... from what i've noticed in my limeted experance with it is that there are Uncase+fire stages and the cheap Dosko sport case i have binds up when opening..

Jess
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 2:41:01 AM EDT
[#10]
I take a range bag with ammo and assorted do-dads in it.  I usually wear BDU pants and leave the cargo pocket on the right leg unbuttoned for empty/partly empty mags and keep the full mag in my right back pocket.  This has worked pretty well for me.  I have a drop leg mag pouch but then I dont have anywhere to quickly dump spent mags.  Knee pads are a must.  One of the only places that a man can comfortably wear knee pads w/o being sniggered at or called "teh ghey" on the internet.  although I wonder about NoAim's knee pads...   He must be spending extra time with those on.  

Mark.

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:23:47 AM EDT
[#11]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:51:18 AM EDT
[#12]
Basically, you need to have a way to carry at least one re-load, preferably two, that you can get to even with rain gear on.

I played with a leg rig, didn't like it too much - it just wasn't natural feeling for me to reach down there for a mag.  I had a vest similar to the one cape hunter used - and it just didn't work for me.
Anyone want an Eagle tac vest cheap?  "Rifle man" version?  

I finally settled on the bladetech mag holders.  I have these ones:  www.blade-tech.com/product.php?productid=868  but it looks like they have a cheaper option now:  www.blade-tech.com/product.php?productid=974&cat=281   I like them, they are modular, they snap on and off, they are light, practical, quick to load from, same motion as loading a pistol magazine, etc.  I usually have 2 of those and 1 or 2 pistol pouches on my belt for the matches.  I also have a drop leg holster and a dump pouch for magazines.  I don't always bring those though.  

That stuff goes on a cheap uncle mike's duty belt that I can take on and off really quickly without needing to "jock up" with all kinds of gear.

Knee pads are nice to have.  The matches are in a rock pit...  busting up your knee is no bueno.  I have Alta knee pads that I bought from tacticaltailor.com  I have elbow pads that I have never used.

I'd say come to the matches and just bring 3 mags, a soft case, and a gun.  then figure out what you need from there.  watch other shooters, think about what they use and what works for them and  how you plan on using the rifle - is this just entertainment?  or are you using the matches to practice for self defense?  you might make different decisions based on what you want to get out of the matches, ya know?

Link Posted: 12/15/2005 12:08:17 PM EDT
[#13]
There was once a stage with 3 positions and a new mag was required for each stage with a max of 10 rounds in each. If you needed more rounds a 4th full mag was allowed to finish up on your targets on that stage.  I ended up inserting that 4th mag 3 times so I could complete the stages with no targets left behind. After that its been a 4 mag minimum for me. You just never know what Randy and his pals have in store for you. I also got to reshoot a high round count stage (because someone forgot to paste one of the targets) immediately because was I ready with fresh mags. That was one of the most fun things I've ever done at PR.

I got by without kneepads until a few months ago. They are helpful if you have to crawl into a mock bunker or kneel in the bed of a moving truck, but are not required.

Gear does not have to be elaborate. It just has to be able to sustain you for an extended rifle fight of approximately 100-300 rounds over a 6 hour timeframe.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 5:24:07 PM EDT
[#14]
One more thing....

Like Gackman mentioned in the night match, bring enoguh mags loaded so your no loading between stages. I bring at least 8 usually 10 loaded mags when running an AR. You will have time between stages to load but that takes away from time helping like taping and scoring and such. It really makes it run smooth when all you have to worry about is shooting and helping.
CH

WAAAAAAAAAASAAAAAAAATCH!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:04:33 PM EDT
[#15]
Like some guys I have a chest rig. TT Mav. One for both weapons, AR15 and a Beretta storm. I also have a Weesach. But I haven't used it yet in a match . This match also taught me to use a dump pouch. I use a eagle sas. I have also found That coveralls are great. I have a Camoed one that is very comfy and I never get cold.

It doesn't matter what you use. We all have different agendas. I use this match to train and to learn new things. I never worry about winning.  Start By getting what you can afford and build from there. and then like the Nike add said just do it!
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 6:11:24 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:
One more thing....

Like Gackman mentioned in the night match, bring enoguh mags loaded so your no loading between stages. I bring at least 8 usually 10 loaded mags when running an AR. You will have time between stages to load but that takes away from time helping like taping and scoring and such. It really makes it run smooth when all you have to worry about is shooting and helping.
CH

WAAAAAAAAAASAAAAAAAATCH!

Agreed. I would have last time, but I had two fully loaded ones I left in my closet (DOH) and just got two new ones I haven't even tested yet.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 7:35:19 PM EDT
[#17]
If I could do it again I would GO to PR and see what people have, and maybe even ask to try them on. But I've waised at least $200 on worthless gear. That is $ I could use else where. I'd say go bare bones with knee pads and a way to carry a few mags.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:13:02 PM EDT
[#18]

Quoted:
If I could do it again I would GO to PR and see what people have, and maybe even ask to try them on. But I've waised at least $200 on worthless gear. That is $ I could use else where. I'd say go bare bones with knee pads and a way to carry a few mags.

That's part of the reason I waited for two matches to figure stuff out. I watched ilike9s with the uber-tactical vest with shotugn shells (no shotgun), to Boo's simple but useful airsoft mag pouch.

So instead, I got laughed at running around in jeans, sweatshirt, bright blue jacket, and neon green knee pads.

No I just get laughed at with my camo and airsoft "tactical" gear.

Hmm...I think I just get laughed at.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:15:27 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

That's part of the reason I waited for two matches to figure stuff out. I watched ilike9s with the uber-tactical vest with shotugn shells (no shotgun), to Boo's simple but useful airsoft mag pouch.

So instead, I got laughed at running around in jeans, sweatshirt, bright blue jacket, and neon green knee pads.

No I just get laughed at with my camo and airsoft "tactical" gear.

Hmm...I think I just get laughed at.

Now you're catching on........
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:21:52 PM EDT
[#20]
Best PR gear.. A wind breaker or sweatshirt will do and Cargo Pants is KEY!. you rarely need more than 2 mags. So looking silly with too much gear is not necessary. Mobility is Key.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:41:00 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 9:50:35 PM EDT
[#22]
My new tactical equipment will be purchased tomorrow. It will be an Army green Jansport Backpack.. LOL.. i just don't want to carry Ammo cans.. it's lame. Kept getting confused with everyone elses cans.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:44:40 PM EDT
[#23]
Well, I say where what ever you got......

I'd say the ideal thing is to get to the point where you wear what you would goto battle in.
Link Posted: 12/15/2005 10:47:26 PM EDT
[#24]

Quoted:

I'd say the ideal thing is to get to the point where you wear what you would goto battle in.

boxer shorts and a bad hair day in my back hallway?

Link Posted: 12/16/2005 8:07:47 AM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

Quoted:

boxer shorts and a bad hair day in my back hallway?

"GET OFF MY LAND!"
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top