Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 9/21/2005 1:08:50 PM EDT
I will be in Gatlinburg thurs. night thru Monday. I go often, but not during the warm months. Anything different to do when it is warm? I usually go to Laurel Falls, Cades Cove, Park to Cherokee, etc. Any new Good places to eat. I usually go to the butcher block, Maxwell's, the Brewery in Downtown G'burg,etc.

Anyone have any suggestions let's here them. Anyone live close and wanna have a meet & eat let me know also. How are gas prices?
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 2:35:53 PM EDT
[#1]
Have not been up there in years......Dolly Wood would be ok while its still warm.....if you find some good eats and stuff do let us know
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:19:27 PM EDT
[#2]
If you come in via I-40 and then get on Hwy. 66, be prepared, traffic is a bitch.

Do you like knives? If so, have you been to Smoky Mtn. Knife Works? It is pretty neat inside if knives interest you. There is also a Coleman outlet store next door if that interests you.

Did I mention, traffic sucks? It really sucks.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 5:55:59 PM EDT
[#3]
Last time I checked gas prices are 2.54 a gallon.  After you live in the area for so long it all just becomes mush
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 6:46:39 PM EDT
[#4]
Traffic does suck.  Did you check to make sure there wasn't going to be a car show or rod run this weekend?

I like the Apple barn down in Pigeon Forge.  Foods pretty good and the Fritters Rock.  It's across the road from the green roof Tanger outlets near the Nascar speedpark.

Sounds like you a going to hit the mountains.  Should be good weather for that.

Let us know how far along they are on the Bass Pro shop.  It's going to be right off the interstate across from Smokies stadium.  They were just moving dirt around when I moved to GA in July.

Have fun.
Link Posted: 9/21/2005 7:41:20 PM EDT
[#5]
thanks for the replies and the info.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 4:19:45 AM EDT
[#6]
Yeah weve been to the apple barn too, wasn't too bad. Tried to stay away from the expensive places. Be sure and fill up on fireworks when you head home.

Next time we go I intend to try and find a chalet.  We thought about Florida for Kids FALL BREAK in October but there's a little too much hurricane action this year.

Essayons
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 5:57:43 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:

Let us know how far along they are on the Bass Pro shop.  

Bass Pro has been advertising in the local papers here for employees. About a week ago, they mentioned their opening was going to be right around November 17th.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 11:00:36 AM EDT
[#8]
If you're a bread lover as I am, check out a place called the "New York Deli" or some shit. They have some small rolls served in a basket with hot olive oil in the bottom in wax paper & parmesian cheese all over the top! Yum!! Coupled with a cold beer or two, it's a meal!

They're off the main drag in Gatlinburg, in a bit of a strip mall kinda place. Been there for years, a lot of locals eat there.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 12:29:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Have you done the Roaring Fork Motor Trail, in the Park behind Gatlinburg.

Heintooga Ridge Road, in the Park out behind Cherokee

Or Cataloochee Valley, in the Park … kinda like Cades Cove on the opposite end of Park but more remote and less visited and you can see the Elk there..

If you go to the Apple Barn get a fried apple pie.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 1:58:38 PM EDT
[#10]

Quoted:
If you go to the Apple Barn get a fired apple pie.

How bad does an apple pie have to be to get fired from a place called The Apple Barn?.
Link Posted: 9/22/2005 2:19:24 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Quoted:

How bad does an apple pie have to be to get fired from a place called The Apple Barn?.

Well you know one bad apple.

I will fix that.
Link Posted: 9/23/2005 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Quoted:

They send them to the one at Opry Mills!    
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 5:45:18 AM EDT
[#13]

So how was the trip?
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 1:36:11 PM EDT
[#14]
trip was great, got back Monday night. The wive's had a fit to go over to the Biltmore, it was interesting. Had a few steaks from the Chop House, and a great ride over the hills. Hot tub at the chalet was good and the view was nice.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 4:56:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Those dang Vanderbilts had too much money.  That place is something else.  Did you all go inside the house or just drive around the grounds?

They went in with some other folks and bought Jekyll Island back in the day as a vacation/hunting place.  They decided to build modest accomodations (well at least to their standards, not mine).  Ah the Millionaires club is what they called it.
Link Posted: 9/27/2005 6:27:57 PM EDT
[#16]
We did the whole tour, house and winery. besides the house being an engineering feat for the period, it has alot of priceless paintings, furniture,etc. The wine tasting was okay. The audio guide was very helpfull on the house.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top