Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 10/25/2013 5:52:20 PM EDT
I'm looking at getting a job in Gatesville and just wanted some opinions on the area. I know it's a pretty small town and probably not a whole lot to do but that's fine with me. The further out we are the better. Just looking for some first hand experience or opinions. Any good gun shops or ranges or anything like that? Thanks for the input.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:07:09 PM EDT
[#1]
My uncle moved there 30 years ago and never left. He just retired. It's been 15 years since I've been there. We used to hunt deer there. Small town then, don't know now.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:14:43 PM EDT
[#2]
I know it was a while back, but how was the hunting when you hunted there?
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:24:41 PM EDT
[#3]
A lot of prisons up here, if that's the job you want or you can drive into Coppers Cove or Killeeen for better jobs
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 6:33:16 PM EDT
[#4]
Actually it's a position for Heil and Kalyn Seibert working in their oilfield design. There are definitely a lot of prisons there though.
Link Posted: 10/25/2013 10:00:58 PM EDT
[#5]
And if you get in good with the bullet pickers, you can get some real cheap ammo
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:43:00 AM EDT
[#6]
Bullet pickers?
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:05:56 AM EDT
[#7]
A good range there (Hicksville), goes out to 600 yds, steel targets, several handgun ranges, can use Tannrite, machine guns, 50 cal welcome.

Only bad part is no brass pickup allowed.

Gatesville is nice, only about 20-25 miles from Waco (about 300,00 pop).

If you ride a m/c lot's of great riding country.

Friendly people
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:14:17 AM EDT
[#8]
Years ago, I was stationed at FH, there were a lot of people that would go out on the chopper range and pick up the belts of ammo that they tossed when the minis would jam.
You would see strings of ammo hanging from the trees, sorta like fruit. Grape pickers, cotton pickers, bullet pickers.

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Bullet pickers?
View Quote

Link Posted: 10/26/2013 6:17:21 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Actually it's a position for Heil and Kalyn Seibert working in their oilfield design. There are definitely a lot of prisons there though.
View Quote

That's where all the naughty women go instead of Huntsville.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 7:45:00 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
View Quote

We had a small 125 acre lease. NEVER saw any deer remotely close to Boone and Crockett record books, mostly just little basket rack deer.

It was leased out from under us for $12k a year. It was stupid kind of money for that place.

My former BIL worked for parks and wildlife as a biologist, most of that area was turning to high fence operations last time we talked.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:12:11 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
A good range there (Hicksville), goes out to 600 yds, steel targets, several handgun ranges, can use Tannrite, machine guns, 50 cal welcome.

Only bad part is no brass pickup allowed.

Gatesville is nice, only about 20-25 miles from Waco (about 300,00 pop).

If you ride a m/c lot's of great riding country.

Friendly people
View Quote

That's pretty awesome. Thanks for the heads up on that one. The no brass pick up sucks but at least there's a place to let a rifle stretch its legs as I'm wanting to get into the more long range stuff too. Thanks for the information.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:13:36 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Years ago, I was stationed at FH, there were a lot of people that would go out on the chopper range and pick up the belts of ammo that they tossed when the minis would jam.
You would see strings of ammo hanging from the trees, sorta like fruit. Grape pickers, cotton pickers, bullet pickers.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bullet pickers?

Haha that's awesome. I would definitely like to get hooked up with some of those guys if they still do that.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 8:21:51 AM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

We had a small 125 acre lease. NEVER saw any deer remotely close to Boone and Crockett record books, mostly just little basket rack deer.

It was leased out from under us for $12k a year. It was stupid kind of money for that place.

My former BIL worked for parks and wildlife as a biologist, most of that area was turning to high fence operations last time we talked.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Sounds pretty much like the place I was hunting on down by Brady then. Every now and then a good buck would come up, but most  of the time it was basket racks. Unfortunately it seems like most areas are turning to high fences. Any idea on the prices of land or availability down there? I'm just starting to really look into it.
Link Posted: 10/26/2013 5:14:49 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bullet pickers?

yea, they used to dump it in any body of water remotely close to a range; had some dumbasses
throw some 4.2 mortar rounds in Cowhouse Creek whilest on their way back in from a range;
(mid 70's) they spent 2 weeks looking & only found 2 out of 3 rounds (IIRC),,,lotsa fun,,,,
Link Posted: 10/27/2013 5:55:17 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

yea, they used to dump it in any body of water remotely close to a range; had some dumbasses
throw some 4.2 mortar rounds in Cowhouse Creek whilest on their way back in from a range;
(mid 70's) they spent 2 weeks looking & only found 2 out of 3 rounds (IIRC),,,lotsa fun,,,,
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Bullet pickers?

A hundred years ago when I was a kid my grandpaw took me to this dried up stock tank in Fort Hood. He set me out into the knee deep mud to retrieve strings of live 50 cal.  I would grab a string, roll it up and throw it to shore.  All was well until a bullet tip hit a primer and "kaboom"   We skedaddled after that.  Went to the house and pulled bullets to sell the brass.   Powder was still dry.  
Found a pallet of frozen fish fillets sitting out in the middle of nowhere there one time.   Good times
Link Posted: 10/28/2013 7:36:56 AM EDT
[#16]
My family has land a couple miles east of Gatesville in the ghost town of The Grove. My entire family has gone to Gatesville high and even won a state championship in football.

The hunting is decent if the land owner does proper deer management, such as our family operation. There is a pretty good bbq joint there, but not a ton else. Some good motorcycling in the area though and lots of friendly people.

Welcome to the area!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top