Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
Member Login

Site Notices
Posted: 10/26/2009 11:16:30 AM EST
Any good?
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 12:00:41 PM EST
Bout the same as any other Gander, I suppose. I've never been to another Gander, though.

I did notice the last time I was there, that the Deer Hunter arcade game was surrounded by about 8 teenagers, yelling/screaming/laughing loudly. You wouldn't think Gander would be where someone would go to get their video game kicks (they walked in, went straight to the game, played, then left right before I did).
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:01:52 PM EST
It's a Gander, although of the few I've been to it's one of the nicer ones. Henrietta was pretty dumpy, the one in Cicero isn't too bad.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 3:10:41 PM EST
I was there a few days ago. Pretty much a normal GM. I have scored a few ex-sniper 91/30 Mosin Nagant rifles from there. No milsurps there at the moment.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 6:49:33 PM EST
WORST GANDER MOUNTAIN EVER!

I tried to get a pistol transferred thru them around 2 years ago. Horrible experience. I was told different transfer procedures by every employee in the gun section. Was told my gun didn't arrive yet when I had the tracking info that showed it was delivered, had to prove it was there for them to go in the back and check for it.

Best of all, it was a older USED pistol, and was told up and down that they had to send it to get COBIS tested .... I had to contact the state police and have them tell the guy there that USED GUNS DON'T GO TO COBIS

If you need the info for a great FFL in Binghamton, give me an IM.
Link Posted: 10/26/2009 11:55:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By Thatdude333:
<snip>

If you don't mind, drop me a PM with this info. I've dealt mainly with Don at Pigeon Hill and Bob at Fusion for my recent transfers. But it can't hurt to have a line on yet another good FFL in the area.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:50:32 AM EST

Originally Posted By NY_Shooter:
<snip>

If you don't mind, drop me a PM with this info. I've dealt mainly with Don at Pigeon Hill and Bob at Fusion for my recent transfers. But it can't hurt to have a line on yet another good FFL in the area.

I'm sure he won't mind me forwarding more business so I'll just post it here...

Emil Masata
Misata Insurance Agency
235 Main St, Johnson City, NY 13790
(607) 797-3313

Emil's a great guy, is easy to reach, and has normal business hours which makes it easy to pick up your guns when they come in.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 5:00:21 AM EST

<snip>

Emil Masata
Misata Insurance Agency
(607) 797-3313

Emil's a great guy, is easy to reach, and has normal business hours which makes it easy to pick up your guns when they come in.

Insurance agency?

So I take it he doesn't keep any guns in stock then? Only does transfers?

Either way, thanks for the heads up. What does he charge for long gun transfers?
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 6:09:15 AM EST
Any good gun shops in the area? I get up there from time to time...
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:00:05 AM EST
The Gander is ok. Most folks are real nice but it's typical retail. Most of the time it feels like they have everything except what I need so I buy online anyway.
I find ammo cheaper at dicks or online. I like McClains in Endicott for transfers and he's an all around good guy to boot. Even has reasonable ammo prices once in a while but it's gotta be tough to compete with the big guys in that department.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:12:07 AM EST

<snip>

Emil Masata
Misata Insurance Agency
(607) 797-3313

Insurance agency?

Either way, thanks for the heads up. What does he charge for long gun transfers?

Yeah, no guns in stock, he mainly just does transfers, he has a gun safe at the office.

I think he can also order stuff for you from FFL-only places, last time I was there I mentioned the next gun I was looking for and he checked a few dealer websites but they were all out of stock.

I believe he charges $25-$30 for transfers.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 7:27:12 AM EST
[Last Edit: 10/27/2009 7:29:48 AM EST by USMC6177]
JC GM pretty much sucks. Very rarely can you find a good deal everything is priced 100 dollars or more over what it should be and the service is some of the worst I have ever recieved. Also DO NOT USE THE GM GUNSMITH
Much heart ache, gnashing of teeth, and beating of breasts will occur. One of the dudes I shoot with waited like 6 or 7 months to have a front sight replaced on a pistol and the blade was wrong. Way over sized like hugely.

The number one thing I have found is that they simply will not budge on price and know next to nothing about firearms. I asked them about knocking some cash off a dirty neglected firearm that was about 40 dollars above what it should have been and they stated that no one drops prices any more and that they were providing me with a gun lock so I should be happy. THE F'ING GUN LOCK IS FREE YOU ASSHAT YOU PAY NOTHING FOR IT. Do your window shopping at Gander and buy online. McClains in West Corners is pretty good on price, stay away from Vintage in Endicott, his customer service sucks and his prices are just about retarded for shitty estate guns ripped off of old ladies.
There is one guy in Owego who is good if you are into reloading and hunting firearms.
If you get a chance to get into Manny's take it. He is retired and really just sells for fun but he has pretty good deals and his transfers are quite reasonable. The cost to have him order it is really competative as well. He makes sub 10% on ordered firearms. I remember during the height of the AR craze he had compliant ARs for $825
One was a Bushy and the other a Stag maybe.
Just my humble opinion...
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 8:07:46 AM EST

Originally Posted By USMC6177:
Do your window shopping at Gander and buy online.

This is what I tell everyone I know. Go touch all the guns at gander, then order online and save a few hundred.
Link Posted: 10/27/2009 12:06:27 PM EST

<snip>

Emil Masata
Misata Insurance Agency
(607) 797-3313

Insurance agency?

Yeah, no guns in stock, he mainly just does transfers, he has a gun safe at the office.

I think he can also order stuff for you from FFL-only places, last time I was there I mentioned the next gun I was looking for and he checked a few dealer websites but they were all out of stock.

Cool, thanks for the info.

JC GM pretty much sucks. Very rarely can you find a good deal everything is priced 100 dollars or more over what it should be and the service is some of the worst I have ever recieved. Also DO NOT USE THE GM GUNSMITH
Much heart ache, gnashing of teeth, and beating of breasts will occur. One of the dudes I shoot with waited like 6 or 7 months to have a front sight replaced on a pistol and the blade was wrong. Way over sized like hugely.

The number one thing I have found is that they simply will not budge on price and know next to nothing about firearms. I asked them about knocking some cash off a dirty neglected firearm that was about 40 dollars above what it should have been and they stated that no one drops prices any more and that they were providing me with a gun lock so I should be happy. THE F'ING GUN LOCK IS FREE YOU ASSHAT YOU PAY NOTHING FOR IT. Do your window shopping at Gander and buy online. McClains in West Corners is pretty good on price, stay away from Vintage in Endicott, his customer service sucks and his prices are just about retarded for shitty estate guns ripped off of old ladies.
There is one guy in Owego who is good if you are into reloading and hunting firearms.
If you get a chance to get into Manny's take it. He is retired and really just sells for fun but he has pretty good deals and his transfers are quite reasonable. The cost to have him order it is really competative as well. He makes sub 10% on ordered firearms. I remember during the height of the AR craze he had compliant ARs for $825

Are you talking about that 870 Police? I never did make it down there to check them out.

Since we're talking about good places to get transfers done.........................I can vouch for Don at Pigeon Hill Firearms out near State Park, and Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms on the outskirts of Binghamton. Both charge $30/long gun transfer.

The one thing that Don did, that no FFL has done for me...............he actually called me when my stuff came in. Bob is a great guy, but it seems as transfers are not his priority and you need to keep up with him to get your stuff. Not complaining at all. I understand that his main moneymaker is building those drop-dead gorgeous 1911's.

Link Posted: 10/27/2009 4:57:40 PM EST
JC GM pretty much sucks. Very rarely can you find a good deal everything is priced 100 dollars or more over what it should be and the service is some of the worst I have ever recieved.
The number one thing I have found is that they simply will not budge on price and know next to nothing about firearms.

This. 10 different "opinions" from 10 different sales people...... misinformation spread by 90% of them...... over priced ammo and guns (Who here has seen the $250 stripped BM lowers?)

Look and handle all you want, don't take their "opinion" as fact, and buy elsewhere. I'll also recommend Bob Serva for transfers.....great guy to deal with.
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 3:55:28 AM EST
so i shouldn't buy the property lol?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 10:55:46 AM EST

<snip>

Emil Masata
Misata Insurance Agency
(607) 797-3313

Insurance agency?

Are you talking about that 870 Police? I never did make it down there to check them out.

Since we're talking about good places to get transfers done.........................I can vouch for Don at Pigeon Hill Firearms out near State Park, and Bob Serva at Fusion Firearms on the outskirts of Binghamton. Both charge $30/long gun transfer.

The one thing that Don did, that no FFL has done for me...............he actually called me when my stuff came in. Bob is a great guy, but it seems as transfers are not his priority and you need to keep up with him to get your stuff. Not complaining at all. I understand that his main moneymaker is building those drop-dead gorgeous 1911's.

Maybe....

Hey btw where do you shoot locally?
Link Posted: 10/28/2009 7:02:34 PM EST

<snip>

Emil Masata
Misata Insurance Agency
(607) 797-3313

Insurance agency?

Maybe....

Hey btw where do you shoot locally?

My grandfathers 70ish acres out towards Whitney Point usually. Or sometimes, if I'm just going to run a couple rounds for shits-n-giggles......I'll go to the stateland across Airport Road in Binghamton, near where my parents live (there's a small "valley" that I can use a 40' hillside as a backstop). But that place is becoming more and more populated with dog walkers, so it's usually no-go.

I'm always thinking about getting a membership at Broome County Sportsman Association, but now that I'm going to be moving south in the (hopefully) near future......I've been putting the membership off.

Where do you shoot?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 1:23:49 AM EST
I live about 5 minutes away from the Tioga Sportsmen range. So I shoot there and there is a group of us that shoot at one of our buddies house on the PA border. We should get an ARFCOM shoot in the Triple Cities area going. I need to meet more gunnies to reaffirm my faith in New York citizens
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 1:40:40 AM EST
I live about 5 minutes away from the Tioga Sportsmen range. So I shoot there and there is a group of us that shoot at one of our buddies house on the PA border. We should get an ARFCOM shoot in the Triple Cities area going. I need to meet more gunnies to reaffirm my faith in New York citizens

5 minutes away from a range? Lucky SOB.

I'd be in for an Arfcom group shoot if it comes about, and I'm free.

I assume Tioga Sportsmen is pretty "black rifle friendly"?
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 5:51:25 AM EST

I'm always thinking about getting a membership at Broome County Sportsman Association,

I would recommend Square Deal Sportsmen www.squaredealsportsmen.com over BCSA...

I was a member of BCSA for 3 years but recently they started getting more anal about petty stuff... I brought my GF's out-of-state friend shooting (I had a personal & guest pass) and the GF came along just to sit behind us and watch, and I get yelled at by some old guy because I have too many guests and "I'm stealing money from the poor club" because my GF wanted to watch us shoot....

So I figured I would go check out Square Deal and so far I like it a lot better. They have a 300 yard rifle range vs. 100 at BCSA, they have multiple smaller pistol ranges, seems like there's less people at Square Deal, and it just has a more "laid back" atmosphere, in the sense that I could see someone yelling at you for dumping a mag at BCSA, I couldn't see the same at Square Deal.
Link Posted: 10/29/2009 3:11:21 PM EST
Bought an AR a couple years ago at the JC GM. Went in one day the price was like 650.00 so went back the next and was 850.00 so called them on it. I got it for 650.00.
Link Posted: 10/30/2009 1:28:47 AM EST

I'm always thinking about getting a membership at Broome County Sportsman Association,

I would recommend Square Deal Sportsmen www.squaredealsportsmen.com over BCSA...

I was a member of BCSA for 3 years but recently they started getting more anal about petty stuff... I brought my GF's out-of-state friend shooting (I had a personal & guest pass) and the GF came along just to sit behind us and watch, and I get yelled at by some old guy because I have too many guests and "I'm stealing money from the poor club" because my GF wanted to watch us shoot....

So I figured I would go check out Square Deal and so far I like it a lot better. They have a 300 yard rifle range vs. 100 at BCSA, they have multiple smaller pistol ranges, seems like there's less people at Square Deal, and it just has a more "laid back" atmosphere, in the sense that I could see someone yelling at you for dumping a mag at BCSA, I couldn't see the same at Square Deal.

Thanks for the heads up. I'll have to look into them.

Link Posted: 11/3/2009 1:01:21 PM EST
Originally Posted By 3GeorgeMidnight:
Any good gun shops in the area? I get up there from time to time...

not anymore..
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 2:09:49 AM EST
AR Shoot near Owego (Tioga) or Square Deal? Count me in, I'm 20 minutes from Tioga. For you competition shooters, Tioga has a real nice 3 Gun match every year. Mal
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 8:53:12 AM EST
GM is way overpriced on firearms and ammo...IMHO. I go to other gun shops and have my on-line firearm purchases sent to a local FFL who does business right out of his house. He is more than reasonable. I think he charges $20 plus tax for a handgun transfer. It might be the same for long guns and lower receivers...If anyone wants his name and info, just send me a msg...He is located in the Town of Tonawanda.
Link Posted: 11/4/2009 3:50:02 PM EST
This thread makes me think we need a "Good FFL's in NY to deal with" sticky in this forum.

I think a lot of people could benefit from it.
Top Top