Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/13/2011 7:45:36 PM EDT
Scheels got rid of Layaways over a year ago...   It looks like Gander is slowly doing the same.   Also, Gander no longer honors the Gander Bucks coupons which were once given away at Gun shows and Banquets, etc...
Currently the fee for cancelling a Layaway is $25.  That will be going to $50 or $75 according to the gun department.  Also, as of right now you can not put anything on Layaway for less than $300.   There are no exceptions according to the store manager who I talked to this afternoon.  The computer will cancel them automatically if they try and do it.   He also mentioned something about all current Layaways which are less than $300 will be cancelled.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 7:50:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I stopped in last week (Waukesha).

I think the more appropriate title could be "Gander is coming to an end".

That was my impression anyway.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:07:09 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:

Oh no! Not one less grossly over priced gun type store. The world is coming to an end.
Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:54:48 PM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Oh no! Not one less grossly over priced gun type store. The world is coming to an end.

...and Cabela's is next.

Though a deal can be had there at least once a year with a combo of sale, points and coupons.

I was Googling this a bit and found stories about them not honoring the various other coupons given with sales (i.e. cleaning and other stupid stuff) and having a new CEO from the U.K. who was going to "turn around" the chain. But found nothing that was "official".

Yep. Oh well. Though I will miss having a place to go touch and feel before purchasing elsewhere.

The sad part is we really don't have any quality, friendly/welcoming, large selection, decent price, gun type stores in my opinion. I've seen them in other places.

Link Posted: 3/13/2011 8:59:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Quoted:

+1
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:03:22 AM EDT
[#5]
Good Bye Gander. Take your under qualified staff, and overpriced old stock with you. It wont break my heart to see that circus leave town.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:56:42 AM EDT
[#6]
Haz,

That makes a lot of sense.

My friend stated all Cabela's meat (their label on Stone Ridge in Wautoma; beef jerky, beef sticks, etc) packaging orders were cancelled for this year and were not negotiated for further production. This is the first time this happened in 7 years. Writing on the wall?

V
OUT

Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

...and Cabela's is next.

Though a deal can be had there at least once a year with a combo of sale, points and coupons.

I was Googling this a bit and found stories about them not honoring the various other coupons given with sales (i.e. cleaning and other stupid stuff) and having a new CEO from the U.K. who was going to "turn around" the chain. But found nothing that was "official".

Yep. Oh well. Though I will miss having a place to go touch and feel before purchasing elsewhere.

The sad part is we really don't have any quality, friendly/welcoming, large selection, decent price, gun type stores in my opinion. I've seen them in other places.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#7]
adios hypocrites.(gander mtn)
they 2-3 years ago they were very much against EBR's and "assault style" rifles, that they would not even do a transfer of one if you had it shipped to them.
every so often when im in there, i ask for the manager. Then i ask why gander mtn decided to change their tune on assault rifles, IE the stack of AR15's they now sell in their store, when but 4-5 years ago they refused to even do a transfer for me, as they served "no legitimate hunting purpose"

cabellas would be a loss though, as they are more competitively priced.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:07:53 AM EDT
[#8]
Perhaps it'll pave the way for a return of Sportsman's Warehouse.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:15:10 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Perhaps it'll pave the way for a return of Sportsman's Warehouse.

That would be nice.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:30:22 AM EDT
[#10]

I stop in Gander maybe once a year and end up wondering why I wasted my time because I never buy anything.

There are good deals to be had at cabelas from time to time.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:36:15 AM EDT
[#11]
I like Cabelas... even though I've never set foot in one of their stores, I rely on their catalog for most of my hunting gear. I've gotten some great deals on stuff from their catalog's bargain bin. It's too bad they only have 2 stores in WI, both in far southern WI, and too far for a one day shopping trip for those of us up-north.  

Gander has 13 stores in WI... I've been in 3 of them (Wausau is only 85 miles, been in Green Bay & Eau Claire just once each). But their over-pricing means I mostly just look around and leave without buying anything... but at least I get to see first hand some nice guns that aren't on the shelves up north.

I wouldn't mind seeing Cabelas buy those 13 G M stores, but I don't see that happening any time soon.  
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 6:41:31 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
adios hypocrites.(gander mtn)
they 2-3 years ago they were very much against EBR's and "assault style" rifles, that they would not even do a transfer of one if you had it shipped to them.
every so often when im in there, i ask for the manager. Then i ask why gander mtn decided to change their tune on assault rifles, IE the stack of AR15's they now sell in their store, when but 4-5 years ago they refused to even do a transfer for me, as they served "no legitimate hunting purpose"

cabellas would be a loss though, as they are more competitively priced.

I would have asked him why they had handguns?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 7:44:37 AM EDT
[#13]
I'm no big lover of Gander Mountain but I understand some of the things they are doing.  With an easy to get Gander credit card there is no reason for lay a ways anymore, this is why Scheels got rid of their lay a way program.  Lay a Way programs take a lot of items off the shelf that don't get paid for for a period of months and many items that never get picked up, only to sit in the lay a way closet for months.  

There prices are high but they have found a way to stay in business, Sportsman Warehouse had lower prices and generally better employees but that program obviously didn't work as they are no longer around.

Going to a store that stocks a product to handle it and see if it's what you want and then going to some "basement bandit" who will sell it to you for a couple bucks less it IMHO wrong.  If you are just trying to get it cheap from a basement guy then they should just order it from him and take their chances.  Stocking products cost money, if you don't want to pay the extra that it costs for stocking it then you should be there pawing up their products.  Just my opinion.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:55:33 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Good Bye Gander. Take your under qualified staff, and overpriced old stock with you. It wont break my heart to see that circus leave town.

Bingo..
This is yet another sign,they are on the way out.... bye....
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 9:14:13 AM EDT
[#15]
I had the Gander mountain credit card years ago, back when you would get points toward Gander purchases.  Then suddenly they sent out mailers saying the points system will be no more.  Never used the card again.  Doesn't surprise me a bit they are canceling their Gander Bucks and layaway.

The place sucks anyways between the high prices, the clueless employees that are there, and the idiot customers that expect the employees are going to know anything more than what isle a product is in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 11:50:31 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I'm no big lover of Gander Mountain but I understand some of the things they are doing.  ......There prices are high but they have found a way to stay in business, Sportsman Warehouse had lower prices and generally better employees but that program obviously didn't work as they are no longer around.......  Stocking products cost money, if you don't want to pay the extra that it costs for stocking it then you should be there pawing up their products.  Just my opinion.

That argument does not justify the exorbitant Gander prices.  I save money by driving 40 miles to Scheels to load up on shooting supplies.   It typically only takes 3 boxes of ammo to justify my gas money and I buy alot more than just ammo.    Firearm, ammo and other shooting accessory low prices are not what got some of Sportsman's Warehouse stores in financial trouble.  Not all stores were loosing money either.  The Green Bay store was making plenty of profit but it got cut with the other regional stores.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:07:36 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
Quoted:
I'm no big lover of Gander Mountain but I understand some of the things they are doing.  ......There prices are high but they have found a way to stay in business, Sportsman Warehouse had lower prices and generally better employees but that program obviously didn't work as they are no longer around.......  Stocking products cost money, if you don't want to pay the extra that it costs for stocking it then you should be there pawing up their products.  Just my opinion.

That argument does not justify the exorbitant Gander prices.  I save money by driving 40 miles to Scheels to load up on shooting supplies.   It typically only takes 3 boxes of ammo to justify my gas money and I buy alot more than just ammo.    Firearm, ammo and other shooting accessory low prices are not what got some of Sportsman's Warehouse stores in financial trouble.  Not all stores were loosing money either.  The Green Bay store was making plenty of profit but it got cut with the other regional stores.

Agreed. Perhaps you are not shopping at the right stores reelman?

I don't have the overhead that GM has, but I also don't get the better prices on guns that they do by buying in large volume. There is a reason I have customers that drive from as far south as Illinios and down from Green Bay to buy guns from me. I can CRUSH GM's prices on almost every firearm.

I mean you don't really think $600 per thousand for 45acp Winchester White box is is a good price, do you?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 12:53:09 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I don't have the overhead that GM has, but I also don't get the better prices on guns that they do by buying in large volume. There is a reason I have customers that drive from as far south as Illinios and down from Green Bay to buy guns from me. I can CRUSH GM's prices on almost every firearm.

I mean you don't really think $600 per thousand for 45acp Winchester White box is is a good price, do you?

I'm sure you can beat GM's price since you don't have the over head, but do you stock what GM stocks?  I don't know who you are or what you have for a store but how many of the guns you sell are ones out of your stock or are they ones tht you order in?  IF you are ordering them it's easy to beat someone's price.

But that said GM's prices are still pretty much out of line!
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:37:01 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm sure you can beat GM's price since you don't have the over head, but do you stock what GM stocks?  I don't know who you are or what you have for a store but how many of the guns you sell are ones out of your stock or are they ones tht you order in?  IF you are ordering them it's easy to beat someone's price.

But that said GM's prices are still pretty much out of line!

Did you even read my post?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 1:37:28 PM EDT
[#20]
I would not cry if Gander went under, but they are building a new store in La Crosse? Would they build a new store if they were closing up shop?
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:45:54 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I would not cry if Gander went under, but they are building a new store in La Crosse? Would they build a new store if they were closing up shop?

Sportsman's was opening up new stores, some just weeks before they changed ownership, and downsized.  It happens.

In a company like that, the tactical decision to "go build a store at XYZ" is sometimes at some managerial/director level, and up at the VP/President/CEO/Board level is where they're keeping the "Holy shit! We might have to sell, get bankruptcy reorganization, or just go tits-up soon!" very close to the vest.

And despite the looming trouble, things like decisions to build more stores remain, because the upper management might still be praying they can squeak through the current crisis, and don't want to show any weakness outside the company, such as cancelling a new store. Or because other corporate/fiscal shell games are being played, like new stores being counted as "assets", while "liabilities" like construction loans/mortgages/leases can be deferred, or listed elsewhere, which can inflate the total company's value.

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 2:59:56 PM EDT
[#22]
I find good deals at gander all the time, you just have to be persistent and know more about what your looking at then the person that took the used guns in.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 3:16:23 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

I agree, was there on Friday. I was like where is everything.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:46:07 PM EDT
[#24]
I got an email that they now sell their overpriced, rusty used guns online.  They must be trying to liquidate their inventory of overpriced, rusty guns before going tits up for good.  

Hard to believe Sportsman's couldn't make it in Wisconsin, but Gander survived this long.
Link Posted: 3/14/2011 4:49:50 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
Quoted:

I agree, was there on Friday. I was like where is everything.

I've heard that the Wausau store has about 1/4th of the guns that they used to have. I haven't been there for about a year, and back then they had a minimum of 500-600 long guns (new & used). A buddy was there late last fall, and he said they had only about 150.... half new, half used. Where'd they all go? They didn't sell them all that quickly.  

Link Posted: 3/14/2011 8:08:06 PM EDT
[#26]
I really, really, really miss Sportsman's Warehouse.. it was a 3 minute drive when I lived in West Bend...
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:19:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

I stopped in there last week and thought they were on the way out.  I know Dicks Sporting Goods is looking at putting in a store in Milwaukee, but that will be a few years away and I don't know how good their hunting / shooting department is.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 5:39:21 PM EDT
[#28]
Stopped in the Waukesha store today. Not only is there gun selection pathetic they have only a hand full of scopes on the "high end" side of the scope display.
I asked where all of the guns and scopes were and they said all of there money was being used to stock fishing equipment and said they get more guns in come hunting season.
The  young guy was a tool though. Not qualified to sell guns, but what else is new.
Link Posted: 3/15/2011 6:09:04 PM EDT
[#29]
stopped in the Kenosha store today they are fully restocked
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 9:45:48 AM EDT
[#30]
Meh... Gander has been circling the bowl for years... They're way overpriced on most items, have a spotty selection of gear and seem to change their hours so you're never really sure when they open.

Every time I go to Gander Mountain I leave asking myself why I bothered to make the drive......
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:08:13 AM EDT
[#31]
Gander Mountain is not going under

In fact Gander is building in door shooting ranges at a few of their stores to offer training, CCW, and firearm rental

They built the first range in Lake Mary, FL and the next will be built in Lakeville, MN and LaCrosse WI

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/117824448.html

Link Posted: 3/16/2011 11:18:50 AM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Gander Mountain is not going under

In fact Gander is building in door shooting ranges at a few of their stores to offer training, CCW, and firearm rental

They built the first range in Lake Mary, FL and the next will be built in Lakeville, MN and LaCrosse WI

http://www.startribune.com/sports/outdoors/117824448.html

In continuing with Gander Mountians history of quality customer service, they have hired this man as their new training instructor.

Mr. Professional himself.
Link Posted: 3/16/2011 1:03:47 PM EDT
[#33]
meh, I mostly use gander mountain for a meeting spot when buying and selling things online (meet in the parking lot for a local sale)

although I did get my Remington 870 Express from the used rack at the store in germantown for $205, that was a good deal as it looked new.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top