Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/1/2009 11:27:34 AM EDT
So my best huntin' bud and I bought a new gamecam just recently after someone decided they needed our old one worse than we did a while back.  

A couple weeks ago I took it out and refreshed one of our salt licks and hung the camera.  We let it sit for two weeks and just got it out today.  In the pics you can see my deer stand in the background.

It'd be an understatement to say that I'm excited about deer season....  We've got bigger bucks on camera than I've ever seen on our place.

Oh, the time is 12 hours off.

Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:13:49 PM EDT
[#1]
should be some good hunting, what part of the state are you in?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 12:25:37 PM EDT
[#2]
Just about an hour west of St. Louis on 44.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:33:31 PM EDT
[#3]
An hour? You are getting close to Rolla. You need another hunting buddy? Nice deer.

lunyou
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 1:37:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Wow! Those are very nice pictures. Good luck this season.  
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:48:42 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 3:58:08 PM EDT
[#6]
got room for another just wanting t ostick a doe for the freezer?I am 10 miles to your east
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:05:51 PM EDT
[#7]
you got some nice bucks started there.  they'll be big enough to harvest in another year or two...
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:06:33 PM EDT
[#8]
An hour?  You wouldn't happen to be around Sullivan would ya?
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:42:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Maybe an hour is a bit far.  I'm in Eureka, and so is the cam.  If the property was mine to bring guests on I would, but I'm there solely based on the kindness of a friend.  I split wood and pick tomatoes for an old farmer and in return my best friend and I get run over 250+ acres of timber and beans.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 5:52:45 PM EDT
[#10]
Ahh, Eureka doesn't seem to be an hour. Good luck this year.

lunyou
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:03:47 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow, 250 acres in Eureka, that is too close to home.  And yes your 1hr estimate from the STL is a little off.   You'll have to post some harvest pics once you bag some of them.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Wow, 250 acres in Eureka, that is too close to home.  And yes your 1hr estimate from the STL is a little off.   You'll have to post some harvest pics once you bag some of them.

+1 on the harvest pictures.
Link Posted: 8/1/2009 6:15:32 PM EDT
[#13]
The spot isn't in Eureka proper, but I live in Eureka and from my doorstep to the gate of my spot is 10 or 15 minutes.  I must be living right to have gotten so lucky as to get this spot though.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 3:41:24 PM EDT
[#14]
It depends on what you mean by St. Louis, I'm in Eureka and it takes about an hour to get downtown.... now tell me where that stand is at
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 5:42:07 PM EDT
[#15]
I am buying my deer hunting ammo components now. Can't wait to get back to MO in a couple months.

150 gr Core-Lokt
CCI LR primer
41? gr H4895 (gotta check the manual)
Win Brass

LRB M25

Mua ha ha ha....
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:08:33 PM EDT
[#16]
I just checked my cam yesterday.  I only had one six pointer coming around.  You sir may be in for a good season.  IF they stick around.
Link Posted: 8/2/2009 7:18:44 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
It depends on what you mean by St. Louis, I'm in Eureka and it takes about an hour to get downtown.... now tell me where that stand is at

Hehehe, my lips are sealed!  I'll give you this much though: It's in the Meramec river bottoms on private ground behind a gate and a crazy caretaker.  

I can only pray that these bruisers stick around for the season.  I've got the cam back out and in video mode, so hopefully I'll get some good footage to show off.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 5:11:03 AM EDT
[#18]
it better not be off Sunrise rd...
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 2:56:21 PM EDT
[#19]
Haven't heard of sunrise road, so I can safely say no.

If I get one of these bruisers, you can bet I'll have pics up for y'all.
Link Posted: 8/3/2009 6:34:46 PM EDT
[#20]
Get a good look now 'cause they won't be around come November
Well, maybe they will but they always go on vacation where I hunt.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 7:36:01 AM EDT
[#21]
Hunt them EARLY if you can.  You basically have them patterned to daytime passings by your tree stand.  Once the leaves fall and the hormones change you can kiss the bachelor groups goodbye.  That doesn't mean they won't still be in the area, which makes the hunt a BLAST.  I don't want to hijack your thread or I would post pics as well.  I haven't seen any real bruisers yet on my cam but I have some decent bucks.  I did see one buck this year that was alone and he had a LOT of stuff going on.  I would say over 3" outside of his ears on each side and at least a 10 with stickers as well but that was through binoculars.....no pictures of that one.  The one deer you have in your pictures with the excessively long G1's.....that is the one I would be after.
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 9:16:06 AM EDT
[#22]
I'd sure like to get him, but if one of the others wanders under my stand first, I'll really have a hard time not sticking him.....
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 10:02:53 AM EDT
[#23]
Trust me, it's all about patience!!  

11 pictures total of this deer on the camera.  I probably had 15 days total in the woods after work before I shot, when I shot he was sparring with an 8 at 7 yards from the ladder.

Sorry but I couldn't resist!
Link Posted: 8/4/2009 2:50:45 PM EDT
[#24]
He's a goodun!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top